Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Uncivil Warriors (1935)

metaldams · 31 · 12029

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/8
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027152/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

After the flat out awesomeness of POP GOES THE EASEL, director Del Lord is back again for UNCIVIL WARRIORS.  While a good short overall, I can't say it's quite the classic of its predecessor.  Still, there's a lot to like.  Being pre WWII in 1935, both sides of the military get the piss taken out of them, which is a refreshing change of pace from the propaganda we'll get in WWII era comedies of, well, everybody.  James C. Morton and Bud Jamison are especially entertaining as bumbling officers.

The first half of the short is pretty much an outdoor affair, and to me there's something magical about The Three Stooges when they're outdoors.  I especially love the part where Curly runs around woo-woo-wooing and then complaining about being lost, all by himself before Moe slaps him. It's a one shot throwaway bit, but it's pleasantly bizarre and shows off how manic Curly can be.  We also, for the first time, get the tried and true gag of moving a tree branch out of the way only to have said branch hit one of the boys by accident.  Gags like this are like comfort foods.

Speaking of comfort food gags, we also get the pin cushion/pastry/coughing feathers gag, which I swear I've seen a dozen times from different comedians, but rarely done better than here.  The close ups when the boys are coughing feathers is priceless.  I also noticed Phyllis Crane again, and in watching these shorts in order, she really was the Christine McIntyre of the early shorts, or at least the closest they got.

The only somewhat downside of the short is when the spy catcher comes in towards the end. I just find the whole bit to be too contrived, as the cat and mouse game gets tedious.  It's so obvious as each Stooge disappears that the boys are dressing up, you'd think the South would catch on sooner.  A somewhat weak sequence (and I know I'll catch slack for saying that) in an otherwise funny short.

8/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:52:05 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I tend to agree, this short isn't quite as good as "Pop" or the short that comes after it (can't wait 'til next week when we can discuss that one) but it's still a very good film & another winner by Del Lord.

Favorite moments include James C. Morton as the General of the north, Charlie walks like this-uh, the coughing up feathers gag & of course the always welcome presence of Phyllis Crane.

"You know I worked in a bakery as a pilot."

8 out of 10...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:31:10 PM by Shemp_Diesel »
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Kopfy2013

The only somewhat downside of the short is when the spy catcher comes in towards the end. I just find the whole bit to be too contrived, as the cat and mouse game gets tedious.  It's so obvious as each Stooge disappears that the boys are dressing up, you'd think the South would catch on sooner.  A somewhat weak sequence

I totally agree. To me it's a great short up until that point. Curly is at the top of his game. Sharp on the lines and great obviously with the physical comedy.

I rate it a 9. It is an enjoyable view'

Favorite Quotes:  "Good time Charlie walks like this" ....

"I reckon this is the place I reckon."

"Tired of the dough and went on the loaf"
Niagara Falls

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

What makes this short priceless for me is that it contains the first (I think) and certainly the best instance of the "this must be the place" gag:

"Captain Dodge" (Moe): I wonder if this is the right place, Lieutenant.

"Lieutenant Duck" (Larry): I reckon this is the place, Captain. What do you-all say, Major?

"Major Hyde" (Curly): Well, as there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon. NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK---[Moe gives him a conk on the head] OH!

I find a lot of Curly's jokes merely corny, but this one makes me laugh every time. The combination of an assumed aristocratic Southern accent (which, superimposed on a Brooklyn accent, is already pretty funny by itself) with Curly's habitual self-complacency (which bursts out in his laugh at the end, as if after years of abuse he still has not learned that all such exhibitions will be punished by Moe) is perfection.

Offline falsealarms

I enjoy this one, but I don't consider it a classic. It's rated among the middle of the pack for Curly shorts on this site and that's probably about right in my book. It's not as good as the short before it, Pop Goes The Easel, or the three after it, Pardon My Scotch, Hoi Polloi, and Three Little Beers. Those are all legitimate classics.

Some good lines:

Curly: Lets have a nip and tuck.
Colonel: What's that, Major?
Curly: One nip and they tuck you away for the night.

Some trivia - Buster Keaton's brother, Harry, appears as a soldier.

Offline metaldams

Some trivia - Buster Keaton's brother, Harry, appears as a soldier.

I've read that before.  Does anyone know what soldier he is?

I agree with the statement this short is not as good as those surrounding it, but yeah, we're talking all time classics here.  It's funny how in the Curly years the boys tend to hit hot and cold spells for a period of a few shorts, this being a hot streak.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

"Tired of the dough and went on the loaf"

What completely fascinates me about this line is that it's done without the boys on camera, with a piece of cake being shown and a slapping noise inserted without the visual. Eight shorts in and it's already assumed a noise of a slap is familiar enough to the audience to associate with the visual.  I always enjoyed that little touch in this short.
- Doug Sarnecky

It's certainly a sight better than Uncivil War Birds, anyway, isn't it?

Offline metaldams

A few sights, actually.
- Doug Sarnecky

I commented about Pop Goes the Easel that the jokes could be dumb, but not in this one.  Plenty of good snappy patter, and yes, definitely a touch of class in the " sick of the dough " joke where the camera remains on the hands.  Very imaginative, and very funny.  "HOT!" is one of their great punch lines.
     Someone mentioned that Larry and Curly sneaking out and reappearing in disguises is kind of stupid, but I think the whole point of this sequence is that Bloodhound Filbert is not fooled for a second by these imbeciles.  He's got Moe on the run here, and  though Moe comes up with a couple good cracks as excuses, Filbert's closing in.  It's not until Moe hands Filbert the infant ( whose gender he has been unable to pin down, him, her, IT ! )  that Filbert is neutralized, unable even to move while holding the infant, at which point the stooges can escape.

Offline falsealarms

Yes. Uncivil War Birds is one of the worst Curly shorts. That short was a remake of the Keaton short Mooching Through Georgia, the worst of Keaton's Columbia shorts. Some scripts stink no matter who is doing it.

Offline JazzBill

I liked this one too. Most of the gags worked well for me. I never really understood why the ending with the African American  baby was sometimes edited out. There was really nothing degrading or hurtful said. You'd have to watch The Yokes On Me or Uncivil War Birds to see some real politically incorrect material. This one too is on my list of favorite shorts. I guess I'm just a sucker for the early stuff. I rate this one a 9.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Someone mentioned that Larry and Curly sneaking out and reappearing in disguises is kind of stupid, but I think the whole point of this sequence is that Bloodhound Filbert is not fooled for a second by these imbeciles.  He's got Moe on the run here, and  though Moe comes up with a couple good cracks as excuses, Filbert's closing in.  It's not until Moe hands Filbert the infant ( whose gender he has been unable to pin down, him, her, IT ! )  that Filbert is neutralized, unable even to move while holding the infant, at which point the stooges can escape.

I guess Filbert just enjoys playing the cat and mouse game, but in a time of war, you'd think he'd just get the spies and not waste time, but alas, I'm probably just over analyzing the situation.  For whatever reason, while I don't completely hate the scene, I always thought that part slowed down the pacing of the short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I liked this one too. Most of the gags worked well for me. I never really understood why the ending with the African American  baby was sometimes edited out. There was really nothing degrading or hurtful said. You'd have to watch The Yokes On Me or Uncivil War Birds to see some real politically incorrect material. This one too is on my list of favorite shorts. I guess I'm just a sucker for the early stuff. I rate this one a 9.

It's going to be a while, but the YOKE'S ON ME thread should be a good one, and rest assured, I do have strong opinions.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

The Stooges are Operators 12, 14 and 15 who are sent undercover as Lieutenant Duck, Captain Dodge and Major Hyde. 

Favorite moments:

What happened to Operator 13?
"I reckon this must be the place I reckon. Nyuk nyuk nyuk" *BONK*
'I was lost - all by MYSELF!'
Charlie walks like this....
I got sick of the dough and thought I'd go on the loaf
Southern Comforter
Larry's 'weak back'
Curly in drag as 'Dixie-Lou Dodge'
Hiding in the tree trunk that turns out to be a cannon

I also enjoy Curly's line about 'All Union soldiers are now wearing Union underwear. THINK of it!'
For some reason, that cracks me up every time.

Took me a long time to finally see the complete short where the scene of the black baby isn't cut out.

I also believe that this is one of the longer shorts they did.

Overall, it's very enjoyable.
My rating: 8/10

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline QuinceHead

Is this the short with that notorious utterance, "You done ejaculated a mouthful!"?!?!!!?   ???

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Is this the short with that notorious utterance, "You done ejaculated a mouthful!"?!?!!!?   ???

No, that would be Uncivil Warbirds from 1946.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline QuinceHead

No, that would be Uncivil Warbirds from 1946.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!  How uncivil of me -- nyuknyuknyuk...   [pie]

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Mr. Umpchay

Unlike "Uncivil War Birds" of 1946, "Uncivil Warriors" is a hysterical, historical short. The boys play Pinkertons, members of the Union's secret service, and are ordered by the Yankee general (James C. Morton) to "stealthily" gather intelligence behind Confederate lines while donning Confederate uniforms. The boys come scampering aimlessly out of the woods to receive their orders. Of course, the other Yanks receive bumps and bruises as our boys act out their faux Confederate names. I especially enjoyed the salutes. Each Stooge, except Curly as the "low-man", gives an elbow to next, knocking off his cap. I love how they have a soldier behind them to nonchalantly place the hats back on their heads.

Aboard the horseboat, as opposed to a houseboat, the boys are fording the length of a river. Larry drops anchor in six inches or so of water. I love the "I reckon" routine. Curly, searching out deeper water, falls in and has to be thrown a life preserver. He doesn't use it and "struggles" to get back to shallower water. Curly is so funny with that fake swimming routine.

The "Charlie" routines are awesome. I laugh heartily every time, especially when the real Charlie actually shows up. This routine and gets them past the sentries and into the presence of General Buttz (Bud Jamison). The nip and tuck joke is great. Moe and Larry get the information and the mission appears to be going swimmingly until Curly makes a cigarette out of the piece of paper. The information is lost. I love the way Curly rolls the tobacco in the paper, but it all falls out. Then, he lights the empty cigarette. Curly's "Hot" answer to Moe's "Do you know what that was?" is another great joke. Curly burns another piece of paper to redeem himself shortly when he intercepts a dispatch warning Buttz of the spies before he can read it.

The kitchen scene with the "oven pad in the cake" routine is my favorite, featuring the adorable Phyllis Crane as Judith Buttz. She is making a cake and want some help from the boys. Of course, with witty verse and and zany antics, the cake doesn't come out as planned. This routine is full of great lines - "light as a feather", "Southern Comforter". I love the shot of Moe tearing through the cake and feathers sticking out from between his lips. The scene ends magnificently with the "stuffed" Stooges lying on the floor coughing up a blizzard of feathers.

Now enters the Confederate bloodhound, Major Filbert. Ted Lorch is excellent in the role of the suspicious officer. Suspecting, that Duck, Dodge, and Hyde are Union spies, he tries to trap them in lies which leads Larry and Curly to excuse themselves to dress up as Dodge's (Moe) father and wife. Larry is very funny as Dodge's father, but Major Filbert seems to know what's going on here, unlike the clueless General Buttz. Curly is sufficiently funny as Dodge's wife, and Filbert ups the bet in mentioning their child. Him, her, it doesn't matter. Moe comes back with an infant who is obviously a child of a plantation slave. With their disguises compromised, the boys run for their lives and hide in the hollow of a fallen tree. Only, its not a tree but a cannon. The cannon airmails the boys back to the Union lines.

I have to admit that I love this short. The kitchen scene is my favorite, and the final scene is a close second. Great comedic lines from Curly and his earlier employment in a bakery, and the clever yet controversial way the boys were exposed as spies put the icing on this deliciously funny cake. I like how a few facts from the Civil War are present in this short. For example, Union General McClellan was always under the impression that he was outnumbered by a superior Confederate force, when he was not. This fact comes through in the opening scene as the Yankee general is also concerned about being outnumbered. Also if you look closely at the dispatch intended for Buttz but intercepted by Curly you will notice that it comes from Richmond, VA, which was the Confederate capitol. Its a nice little detail. From reading other comments and reviews, I seem to be in the minority in my lofty opinion of this short. Morton, Jamison, Crane, and Lorch are very good in their supporting roles.

Verdict: 10 pokes

Aboard the horseboat, as opposed to a houseboat, the boys are fording the length of a river.

Now why didn't I think of that! (Slaps and punches self with accompanying Stooge sound effects.)

I'm sure it was done that way because it was easier to shoot. I can imagine someone involved in the making of the scene saying, "We can't have them walking along the length of the river! It makes no sense!" And somebody else would reply, "Ah, nobody is going to notice!"

The kitchen scene with the "oven pad in the cake" routine is my favorite, featuring the adorable Phyllis Crane as Judith Buttz. . . .

The kitchen scene is my favorite

Just goes to show how reactions differ. To me the routine of foreign objects getting baked into a cake got old a long time ago. I do, however, enjoy the line, "Tastes more like Southern comforter," especially as Moe says it, in his Cavalier accent, to the girl's face as if it were praise, rather than muttering it aside to Larry as he does much later in Three Hams on Rye.

Offline metaldams

Aboard the horseboat, as opposed to a houseboat, the boys are fording the length of a a river.

Hmmm, I never thought of that either.  That IS pretty funny.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Eh, this was ok. The episode manages to entertain me every now and then, but there are other times, when it bored me.

Entertaining parts.... Imitating Charlie's walk to get past the guards and the stooges eating the cake and coughing up feathers,

Slow parts... The stooges chatting and laughing with General Buttz and the whole ending scene where Major Filbert proves the stooges are spies.

6.5/10

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short is a special one for me.  It's unique in that it actually recreates a situation by placing comedians in the American "South" without mocking Southern people.  As good ol' Southern boy, that makes this one a winner for me.  People reference the bit with the African American baby insinuating it is racist.  Look at it this way: the point is that a white father and a white mother could not have a black baby.  Just keep it for 30 days and see if the mother comes back for it.  I was found the ending interesting for one reason: when the boys hide in the cannon/tree, they initially think it is a hollow log.  Where did the USA in the 1860s get the plastic materials to create one giant sleeve for the cannon?

This short is a barrel of laughs for me.  We see the Stooges give top-notch performance throughout.  I give it a 10/10.

Oh, by the way: ^bump
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Aboard the horseboat, as opposed to a houseboat, the boys are fording the length of a river.

I can actually explain this.  In ye days of olde, a common technique used by spies (and runaway slaves) was to walk the length of a river because that left no trail, footprint or smell, that could be traced by people or search-dogs.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A Stooge classic with one of my all-time favorite opening scenes. I will admit that "Uncivil Warriors" loses a bit of momentum in the last third — more a problem with Felix Adler's script than Del Lord's razor-sharp direction. Curly is truly marvelous in this short, but Moe and Larry have equal opportunities to shine. Special kudos to the great Bud Jamison.

9/10