Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Half Shot Shooters (1936)

metaldams · 25 · 12163

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/14
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027714/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I don't really have much to say on this one except that this is easily one of the worst Three Stooges shorts.  The first minute is a pleasant enough with the boys sleeping through the war and getting some fun slapstick exchanges in there, but once Sgt. MacGillicudy enters the picture, the short goes completely downhill.  Normal Stooge slapstick exchanges like eye pokes and what not are cartoon like because there are never long term lasting effects, but the Sarge blackening Curly and Larry's eyes with a punch and breaking Moe's arm crosses the line from funny to flat out sadistic.  The "gag" of of the intonation test where he makes the boys deaf by sticking their heads underwater and firing a gun in the trough is awful.  The boys act out in genuine pain and have lasting effects that go into the next scene.  Again, we've gone far beyond traditional eye pokes.

Even the Stooges themselves towards the end descend into complete idiocy by firing the cannon and destroying property, killing who knows how many people.  To top it off, they actually get killed at the end by these sadistic army people.  So the short ends with unsympathetic Stooges getting blown up by unsympathetic army personnel.  Not one of Clyde Bruckman's better scripts.

The only positive point is we get to say hello to Vernon Dent, arguably the greatest Stoooge foil.  Too bad his Stooge debut couldn't be in a better short.  My reviews will be a bit more cheery in the coming weeks, but this short is awful, and I would not be a Stooge fan if this is what the average short was like. 

3/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:58:43 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I come not to bury Preston Black, but to praise him & this short. I'm surprised so many seem to have issues with this one, the laughs are almost nonstop for me, but to each their own.

Only the stooges could sleep through the first World War and the violence the Sarge inflicts on the boys never bothered me, it only seemed to make me laugh even harder, like the exchange where Larry kisses Blystone on the cheek & gets punched in the face. And of course the boys settle up with the Sarge rather nicely which sets up the rather obvious plot twist of the boys getting re-inducted into the army under the same sergeant.

And yes, this is the first appearance by Vernon Dent, the greatest stooge foil. And the stooges get into some wholesale destruction with a rotating cannon (I don't know where that one landed, but I hope it didn't hit the poolroom). I'm chuckling as I type.

And yes, the ending, another part of stooge history that seems to bother folks, but I never fail to crack up at it, especially that slo-mo pan to the smoking boots. Different strokes, for different folks I guess, but to me, this short is easily in my Top Ten for Curly episodes.

9.5 out of 10

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I come not to bury Preston Black, but to praise him & this short. I'm surprised so many seem to have issues with this one, the laughs are almost nonstop for me, but to each their own.

Only the stooges could sleep through the first World War and the violence the Sarge inflicts on the boys never bothered me, it only seemed to make me laugh even harder, like the exchange where Larry kisses Blystone on the cheek & gets punched in the face. And of course the boys settle up with the Sarge rather nicely which sets up the rather obvious plot twist of the boys getting re-inducted into the army under the same sergeant.

And yes, this is the first appearance by Vernon Dent, the greatest stooge foil. And the stooges get into some wholesale destruction with a rotating cannon (I don't know where that one landed, but I hope it didn't hit the poolroom). I'm chuckling as I type.

And yes, the ending, another part of stooge history that seems to bother folks, but I never fail to crack up at it, especially that slo-mo pan to the smoking boots. Different strokes, for different folks I guess, but to me, this short is easily in my Top Ten for Curly episodes.

9.5 out of 10

You know, I have to admit some of this may be politics coming into play.  I'm about as much of a peacenik as you can get, so to see a military man perform slapstick on The Three Stooges that is much more brutal in nature than the average slapstick in a Stooge short rubs me the wrong way.  It's not only the slapstick itself, but the lasting after effects.  Moe taking a spike in the eye in THEY STOOGE TO CONGA is more brutal slapstick than anything in HALF SHOT SHOOTERS, but Moe is cured in the next frame, and it's funnier when it's Curly performing slapstick by accident as opposed to a sadistic sgt. on purpose.

Look, I watched the first two Abbott and Costello movies recently and did not enjoy them partially because I did not like the propaganda elements.  That may seem crazy to some people, but the fact is the older I get, the more developed my world view gets and some things I previously enjoyed I don't as much anymore (and vice versa).  I'm anxious to see how I react to the World War II themed shorts when I get to them, but HALF SHOT SHOOTERS just seems way too brutal, not funny.  I gotta wonder what Clyde Bruckman's intent was when writing the script.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

After reading Metaldams's and Shemp Diesel's posts I had a look at the reviews of this short on its page in this site: clearly this short evokes extreme reactions. But I don't share them: I think that, while this short is, at least for a lot of viewers (with me among them), unpleasant to watch in a way and to a degree that no other is, it is not among the worst of the lot: I reserve that honor for the shorts with Joe Besser. While fundamentally badly conceived, Half-Shot Shooters does not have the sustained corniness and contempt for comedic standards that the last shorts have, and it has some pretty good stoogery along the way. In general, as long as Sergeant McGillicuddy is out of the scene (more on that qualification in a moment), the writing and execution are up to the Stooge par.

Setting aside the objections that could be raised against using the monstrous mass slaughter of the Great War (as it was called at that time) as a scene of comedy--arguably no worse than when the Stooges do the same thing with the American Civil War--and, again, setting aside what happens when the Sergeant is on the scene, the opening business with the Stooges trying to sleep and hitting each other on the head with frying pans and rifle butts is not badly done. We get, as has been noted, the first appearance of the Stooges' great cubical nemesis Vernon Dent, who displays his characteristic volatility, apologizing for losing his temper when he sees a way of getting vengeance on the Stooges without violence. (My favorite line in this confrontation is Moe's response to the slap in the face that Dent gives him: "Oh, a face-slapper, eh?" Another instance of the Stooge genre of concise verbal encapsulation of the obvious!) The business with firing the cannon into a series of erroneous targets is funny, I think, as long as we presume that there are no human beings in those targets; though admittedly it is hard to think that of the ship that gets hit (especially if we think of that explosion as a foreshadowing of the attack on Pearl Harbor). There are a few funny bits along the way, such as the chanting of "Gun range okay!" in harmony and Moe's quip, "I don't know where that one went, but I hope it didn't hit the pool room!"

Now to Sergeant McGillicuddy. If anyone finds anything funny in his acts of brutality, I can't share that sentiment, for the reasons given by Metaldams: Stooge violence is funny only because it is utterly unrealistic and has no serious consequences (e.g., a sledge hammer hitting a Stooge on the head with a clanging noise and causing only a momentary stupefaction to the victim while the iron head of the hammer itself is flattened), while Sergeant McGillicuddy inflicts pain, bruises, sprains, and possible eardrum damage in a comparatively realistic fashion. Acts like that don't belong in slapstick comedy, unless perhaps their perpetrator is being set up for a huge, comically exaggerated comeuppance, which doesn't happen here. The best that we get (and it is pretty good in its way: it is the only bit involving the Sergeant that does make me laugh) is the business in which the Sergeant, provoked by the refusal of the Stooges to relinquish their tomatoes, pitches a tomato at them and hits a general, landing him in cuspidor-cleaning duty. This is funny because, in contrast to the business in which the Stooges retaliate against him after they are released from military service, brutality is not answered with equally arbitrary brutality but rather brings about its own punishment by its own arrogance.

The fact that brutality triumphs over the Stooges at the end of the short, when the Sergeant kills them with the cannon, is in its way consistent with the basic conception of the short; but that conception is itself at odds with the nature of the comedy of the Stooges.

Offline metaldams

After reading Metaldams's and Shemp Diesel's posts I had a look at the reviews of this short on its page in this site: clearly this short evokes extreme reactions. But I don't share them: I think that, while this short is, at least for a lot of viewers (with me among them), unpleasant to watch in a way and to a degree that no other is, it is not among the worst of the lot: I reserve that honor for the shorts with Joe Besser. While fundamentally badly conceived, Half-Shot Shooters does not have the sustained corniness and contempt for comedic standards that the last shorts have, and it has some pretty good stoogery along the way. In general, as long as Sergeant McGillicuddy is out of the scene (more on that qualification in a moment), the writing and execution are up to the Stooge par.

Setting aside the objections that could be raised against using the monstrous mass slaughter of the Great War (as it was called at that time) as a scene of comedy--arguably no worse than when the Stooges do the same thing with the American Civil War--and, again, setting aside what happens when the Sergeant is on the scene, the opening business with the Stooges trying to sleep and hitting each other on the head with frying pans and rifle butts is not badly done. We get, as has been noted, the first appearance of the Stooges' great cubical nemesis Vernon Dent, who displays his characteristic volatility, apologizing for losing his temper when he sees a way of getting vengeance on the Stooges without violence. (My favorite line in this confrontation is Moe's response to the slap in the face that Dent gives him: "Oh, a face-slapper, eh?" Another instance of the Stooge genre of concise verbal encapsulation of the obvious!) The business with firing the cannon into a series of erroneous targets, is funny, I think, as long as we presume that there are no human beings in those targets; though admittedly it is hard to think that of the ship that gets hit (especially if we think of that explosion as a foreshadowing of the attack on Pearl Harbor). There are a few funny bits along the way, such as the chanting of "Gun range okay!" in harmony and Moe's quip, "I don't know where that one went, but I hope it didn't hit the pool room!"

Now to Sergeant McGillicuddy. If anyone finds anything funny in his acts of brutality, I can't share that sentiment, for the reasons given by Metaldams: Stooge violence is funny only because it is utterly unrealistic and has no serious consequences (e.g., a sledge hammer hitting a Stooge on the head with a clanging noise and causing only a momentary stupefaction to the victim while the iron head of the hammer itself is flattened), while Sergeant McGillicuddy inflicts pain, bruises, sprains, and possible eardrum damage in a comparatively realistic fashion. Acts like that don't belong in slapstick comedy, unless perhaps their perpetrator is being set up for a huge, comically exaggerated comeuppance, which doesn't happen here. The best that we get (and it is pretty good in its way: it is the only bit involving the Sergeant that does make me laugh) is the business in which the Sergeant, provoked by the refusal of the Stooges to relinquish their tomatoes, pitches a tomato at them and hits a general, landing him in cuspidor-cleaning duty. This is funny because, in contrast to the business in which the Stooges retaliate against him after they are released from military service, brutality is not answered with equally arbitrary brutality but rather brings about its own punishment by its own arrogance.

The fact that brutality triumphs over the Stooges at the end of the short, when the Sergeant kills them with the cannon, is in its way consistent with the basic conception of the short; but that conception is itself at odds with the nature of the comedy of the Stooges.

Very, very well written.  I just want say there have been plenty of comedies where unpleasant settings and scenarios have been successfully used, look to the feature film career of Charlie Chaplin as a great example.  The problem is the Stooges are just their usual dimwitted selves here, which works fine in normal Stooge shorts, but not in a situation like this where some pathos is called for.  I will say, there is one Stooge short we will be discussing some months from now, set in an unpleasant scenario, where the boys do inject pathos and character without compromising any Stooge slapstick, but I'll cross that bridge when we get there....unless anybody wants to take a crack at what short I'm thinking of.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Metal and Dr. Hugo, you both bring up some good points & I don't know if I can articulate my argument any better. I can definitely see why some fans such as yourselves have issues with this short & it's a good thing we have the weekly discussions to let it all air out. In fact, I think there is another "Preston Black" directed episode that may bring up some more mixed reviews, but I'm sure we'll get to that at the appropriate time (hint: it involves wrestling).

To me the sergeant is as much of a cartoon as the stooges themselves & the violence he inflicts on the boys is a bit extreme, but it does lead to that great moment after the boys get their discharge where they settle up all accounts with him with some great stooge violence. Of course, we the viewer know the stooges are only setting themselves up for more pain in the future, but it's still funny to me to see them get some sweet revenge on Sarge.

As I said before, it's all a matter of opinion, some people like it, some don't. Would I be going too far to say this particular short might be the Cuckoo on a Choo Choo of Curly episodes. It certainly seems to draw some very strong reactions from both sides of the fence, even more so than Woman Haters.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

To me the sergeant is as much of a cartoon as the stooges themselves & the violence he inflicts on the boys is a bit extreme, but it does lead to that great moment after the boys get their discharge where they settle up all accounts with him with some great stooge violence. Of course, we the viewer know the stooges are only setting themselves up for more pain in the future, but it's still funny to me to see them get some sweet revenge on Sarge.

You see, I can't view Sgt. MacGillicudy as a cartoon character.  The armed gentlemen from both the North and South in UNCIVIL WARRIORS, now they are cartoon characters, and one of the reasons why that short works.  Sgt. MacGillicudy?  He's just an asshole, there's no nicer way of saying it that will do him justice.
- Doug Sarnecky

You see, I can't view Sgt. MacGillicudy as a cartoon character.  The armed gentlemen from both the North and South in UNCIVIL WARRIORS, now they are cartoon characters, and one of the reasons why that short works.  Sgt. MacGillicudy?  He's just an asshole, there's no nicer way of saying it that will do him justice.
To me as well he's unfunny because he's so jarringly realistic in his brutality. It's as if the Stooges, with their childish and cartoonish fake violence and their readiness to forget about past conflicts, were brought into collision with a real-life brute who deals in genuine, hurtful violence and never, ever forgets or forgives a slight. The affected joviality with which he covers his malign intent as he directs the Stooges to immerse their heads in the trough seems to me only too realistic a representation of the behavior of real-life bullies when they have their victims in their power. To me the actions with him are just ugly, not funny.

Offline falsealarms

I don't think I've ever read anyone refer to this short as one of the "worst" Stooge shorts, let alone "easily" one of the worst.

I suppose I can see where some the violence may be a little too much, but I never had that reaction to it. It's a Stooge short, so I've always taken it with the territory. The same thing could be applied to a short like They Stooge to Conga, where people get spikes jammed into their head, eye, and ear, electrocuted, sprayed with a blow torch, etc. Just comes with the territory.

I've always liked Half Shot Shooters quite a bit. I'd give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Offline metaldams

I don't think I've ever read anyone refer to this short as one of the "worst" Stooge shorts, let alone "easily" one of the worst.

The vast majority of Stooge shorts, even the bad ones, have a sense of fun for me.  After watching the boys literally get blown out of their shoes this morning, I was glad the short was over.  I just get an uncomfortable feeling watching this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline WhyYou

I really cant see the rap that this short is getting.While it may not be amongst my top 10 shorts,always thought that it was pretty good.About the buildings being blown up,bridges destroyed,etc.,due to the boys ineptitude,we all know that it isnt real.Ditto with them getting blown out of their boots.As for the vicious Sgt.McGillicuddy,one of things that attracted me to the Stooges when I was 3 or 4 years old,and still does today,is the sadism of the films.

Offline Kopfy2013

Totally agree that the arm bar; shooting of the eardrums and the blown away by the canon was definitely gratuitous violence..

However the short was entertaining. I love the first part sleeping through the war. How Moe's talking was ruining the war for Larry.

The window scene with Vernon Dent and  Curly talking to the dog was great.  The back and forth with the General when they could not hear.

"Hope that was not the pool hall" was great also.

I consider it a good short, not great but good.
Niagara Falls

Offline Kopfy2013

I think the two black eyes and the twisted elbow can be explained.

By the sergeant doing this this allowed the Stooges to get medals and really frustrate the sergeant.  This helps to setup the rest of the short as you know he wants to get back at them. Of course the mauling he took at the Stooges hand also helped in the humiliation.
Niagara Falls

I think the two black eyes and the twisted elbow can be explained.

By the sergeant doing this this allowed the Stooges to get medals and really frustrate the sergeant.  This helps to setup the rest of the short as you know he wants to get back at them. Of course the mauling he took at the Stooges hand also helped in the humiliation.

I take your point. Similarly, the Sergeant's firing his gun into the water trough is a setup for the following scene in which the commanding officer tries to interview the Stooges and they mishear everything that he says. So the violence is not pointless: it is a setup for something comical that comes afterwards.

Nonetheless, in both of these cases, the setup itself has an ugly realism to it that is out of keeping with the Stooge brand of violence.

Consider some comparisons: In Termites of 1938, the Stooges get deafened, but by the comical arrangement of a would-be mouse-exterminating cannon. In Hold That Lion, an innocent train conductor gets a black eye from being punched in the face, but in consequence of the Stooges sending him into a female passenger's private compartment. In Grips, Grunts, and Groans, Curly gets his foot twisted round and round by his wrestling opponent, but he just goes "Woo woo woo!" with his usual cartoonish energy. Three Little Sew and Sews ends with the Stooges getting killed, but by Curly's clumsiness with a bomb rather than by a malicious act, and with the immediate consequence that they are transformed into winged spirits pursued by the fist-shaking spirit of the captain who had died with them. (They also get killed at the ends of You Nazty Spy and I'll Never Heil Again, but I find these endings more troubling: I look forward to discussing them when those shorts have their turn in this thread.)

In sum, for most every act of violence in Half Shot Shooters one can find analogues in the other shorts, but in Half Shot Shooters they lack the elements of setting, agency, and manner that make them comical in the other shorts.

Offline Kopfy2013

Nonetheless, in both of these cases, the setup itself has an ugly realism to it that is out of keeping with the Stooge brand of violence.

Consider some comparisons: In Termites of 1938, the Stooges get deafened, but by the comical arrangement of a would-be mouse-exterminating cannon. In Hold That Lion, an innocent train conductor gets a black eye from being punched in the face, but in consequence of the Stooges sending him into a female passenger's private compartment. In Grips, Grunts, and Groans, Curly gets his foot twisted round and round by his wrestling opponent, but he just goes "Woo woo woo!" with his usual cartoonish energy. Three Little Sew and Sews ends with the Stooges getting killed, but by Curly's clumsiness with a bomb rather than by a malicious act, and with the immediate consequence that they are transformed into winged spirits pursued by the fist-shaking spirit of the captain who had died with them. (They also get killed at the ends of You Nazty Spy and I'll Never Heil Again, but I find these endings more troubling: I look forward to discussing them when those shorts have their turn in this thread.)

In sum, for most every act of violence in Half Shot Shooters one can find analogues in the other shorts, but in Half Shot Shooters they lack the elements of setting, agency, and manner that make them comical in the other shorts.

Great points.  So who is to blame?  Preston Black?

Have any Stooges or writers/producers/directors commented about this?
Niagara Falls

Off the subject, but since we were talking last week about dated jokes, I might point out that " All This and Herring Too " on Curly's back refers to " All This and Heaven Too ", a popular weepie of that day.

Offline JazzBill

I think this short is OK. I like Stanley Blystone a lot and Vernon Dent is my favorite Stooge co-star of all time. I like the boys sleeping thru WWI and the cannon bit. I get a kick out of the fact there is no recoil when they fire the cannon. They jump in the air but you can see that the cannon doesn't move. I was in an artillery unit when I was in the army. I saw a couple of guys get hurt and heard of someone getting killed from the recoil of a big gun. I think most of the violence in this short was used to set up the story so it didn't offend me. Like I said, I think the short is OK but it's not high on my list of favorites. I give it a 8 out of 10. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JWF

This short did have some good dialogue:

(After the Stooges go deaf....)

Officer:  Would you fight for this great republic and....

Moe: Republican??  No, I'm a Democrat!

Curly: Not me!  I'm a pedestrian!!

and...

Officer: Were you born in this country?

Larry: No, Milwaukee...

It makes NO sense, but I still laugh every time this scene comes on.

This short did have some good dialogue:

(After the Stooges go deaf....)

Officer:  Would you fight for this great republic and....

Moe: Republican??  No, I'm a Democrat!

Curly: Not me!  I'm a pedestrian!!

and...

Officer: Were you born in this country?

Larry: No, Milwaukee...

It makes NO sense, but I still laugh every time this scene comes on.

Only the first of those three is something that we can be sure that the speaker would not have said if he could hear properly!

Offline Squirrelbait

Looks like I'm running a bit late this week - the thread for Disorder In The Court has already started.

Anyway, while I agree that this is one of the more violent shorts, it's always made me laugh. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was the first appearance of Vernon Dent.

It's also the last short to feature the animated Columbia torch, and the last to spell Curly as 'Curley'.

Highlights:
Stooges sleeping during combat
Beating up Sgt. McGillicuddy (with a little help from a donkey)
'Ignoramus - take off your hat!' (Only to have Moe put his hat back on immediately afterward)
The scene in which the Stooges can't hear anything ("He said you smell like a GOAT!") Cracks me up every time!
Watching the Stooges fire the cannon every which way ("I don't know where that one landed, but I hope it didn't hit the pool room")
and, of course...
Sinking the Admiral's Flagship ("Whoopee! A bulls-eye!")

My Dad always enjoyed this one too. He said that the scene with the Stooges trying to sink the boat was one of the funniest things he ever remembers about the Stooges.

Rating: 8/10

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention the scene where Sgt. McGillicuddy is forced to clean out the 'Loving Cups.'
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short for is just plain cringing.  The abuse Stanley Blystone gives out is real and devilish.  Usually in Stooge shorts we see Curly fall off a building and climb back up; here, we see them get Purple Hearts.  The ending is also really disturbing for me as the Stooges get murdered by the evil Sgt. McGillicuddy...

^bump
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This short for is just plain cringing.  The abuse Stanley Blystone gives out is real and devilish.  Usually in Stooge shorts we see Curly fall off a building and climb back up; here, we see them get Purple Hearts.  The ending is also really disturbing for me as the Stooges get murdered by the evil Sgt. McGillicuddy...

^bump

Nice to see you commenting on the earlier shorts, and to what you say above, amen.  When I wrote my initial review, I thought I would be the only one who felt that way.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A rare misfire from the vintage Curly era and my least favorite Stanley Blystone performance (due to the way his role was written).  The ludicrous storyline is contrived even by Stooge standards. Unlike the boys' other military shorts, most of the violence is painfully sadistic rather than funny.  Best moment is Curly's brief vocal interlude while loading the cannon.

5.5/10

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Count me among those puzzled by the "extreme" reactions to this one (both good & bad).  This one is right in the middle of the (Curly) road for me.

#102. Half-Shot Shooters

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
I hope I don’t get into trouble for this, but here it goes:

I have something to say about this one, I find the black comedy in this short much less appalling than the kind that has popped up recently. Mostly because the characters. Funny thing is, I used this short as a compare and contrast in a YouTube comment that I made on a video uploaded by PieGuyRulez (he used to do a lot of cartoon reviews and some live action shows, mostly Nickelodeon stuff.) The video was called iCarly’s Most Unhealthy Episode. The main problem with this episode was that there is one character (named Gibby) who gets savagely assaulted by one of the characters (Samantha “Sam” Puckett) while another main character (Freddy Benson) has a relationship with the same girl (Sam who is one of the lead characters) who regularly abuses him (both physically and emotionally).

Heck, there was one episode where Freddy gets assaulted by a crazy fan of theirs named Nora while Carly and Sam do absolutely nothing to help him because they were enjoying some cake. Freddy even calls them out for not helping him and they just respond that the cake they were eating was good (the disgusting thing is that they are his “friends”). At least with this short, Sergeant Macgillicuddy likely had to put up with the Three Stooges for two years. Of course what sets the two apart is Sam tends to attack people with no justification while at least with the Three Stooges, their bumbling antics predictably cause justified frustration.

Here is the comment that I made:

The way you described this episode reminds me of a few opinions I have seen on a Three Stooges board discussing one of their short films from 1936 called Half Shot Shooters. Moe, Larry, and Curly get brutally assaulted by a man named MacGillicuddy, who is their sergeant (played by Stanley Blystone) while they were in the army towards the end of World War I . He gives both Curly (for making a comment about being in the pink when Sergeant MacGillicuddy called him yellow) and Larry a black eye (after kissing him on the cheek) before taking it even further and breaking Moe’s arm (Admittedly after Moe had accidentally struck him with his rifle while he was trying to hit Curly with it. He twisted Moe’s arm to make him drop the rifle, breaking it in the process.). However, to be fair to the sergeant, the three were sleeping during a battle instead of fighting in it like they should have been. While it was supposed to be slapstick, the injuries stayed on the Stooges when they got discharged which some of the users did not like as they found it too sadistic (though their injuries did set up a later gag that involved them being decorated because headquarters thought that they were “wounded in action”). When they accidentally rejoin the army, they end up under Sergeant MacGillicuddy’s thumb once again.

The first thing he does is fire a revolver into a trough full of water which causes the stooges to go deaf (they remain deaf in the next scene when talking to a colonel which sets up a gag where they misunderstand the questions that the colonel asks because they cannot hear properly) and the short ends with him firing a coastal artillery gun at them which predictably blows them to pieces, leaving their smoldering shoes behind (from what I heard about Sam Puckett thanks to the Bottom of the Bakery series, this sounds like something she would do to get revenge on someone). Admittedly, this was after they had blown up a battleship that was used by an Admiral as his flagship along with a chimney, a building, and a bridge before sinking the Admiral’s flagship. Although, this episode of iCarly is ten times worse than Half Shot Shooters because at least with the Three Stooges, they were morons. So the frustration was at least understandable, sleeping through a battle, hitting the sergeant while carelessly swinging a rifle, and destroying a chimney, building, bridge, and a warship (that was in active use, which meant they possibly killed and injured several sailors) along with many other scenarios that have appeared in their short films such as destroying a house.
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.