Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

False Alarms (1936)

metaldams · 30 · 13380

Offline metaldams

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/17
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027601/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Hey Ryan, I'm sure you've got something to say on this one.

After a brief Jack White run, Del Lord is back directing again, and wouldn't you know, we have a short that takes advantage of outdoor scenery a bit more than the last few shorts.  A manic car chase scene definitely goes back to the Del Lord Mack Sennett days.

I like this short overall, but my opinion of it is not as high as it was a few years back.  To me it's one of those shorts that has some really funny parts but doesn't quite seem to gel as much as the last couple of efforts.  Perhaps it's missing a classic extended scene like Curly taking the stand or the boys trying to eat a crab.

Still, there's a lot to like.  I love the part where the streetcar tears the firehose into pieces.  Curly's initial "Woo" reaction is priceless, and when he goes off naming each broken piece, I never fail to laugh.  Moe dragging Larry up the fire pole by the hair is great, and I love it when Moe pokes Curly in the eye through the telephone, only to have Curly react by choking the phone!  Since Curly is separated from the other two for a bit, Moe and Larry have some very enjoyable scenes together.  I've always loved the arrow pointing halfway, so I don't know if it's half empty or half full routine.  I've used that one in real life.

One more thing to say about this one - June Gittleson's "Minnie" character is one of the most bizzare characters in all of Stoogedom.

8/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:47:19 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The greatness of 1936 continues. False Alarms has always been a favorite, especially the slapfest between Curly & Hercules towards the end of the short. Of course, there's a lot of great moments before that including "the little baby hoses" and Moe's line "don't disturb the rest of 'em, they're asleep" before slapping Curly.

Also loved the cartoonish gag of Curly catching the birthday cake before it falls to the ground & of course Curly ends up ruining the cake anyway. "I like him frosting and all."

9 out of 10
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Are we all aware that the names Curly gives to the "quintuplets" are the actual names of the actual Dionne Quintuplets, natural-born Canadian quints who were big news in 1936 ?  This joke recurs years later when Moe tells Curly to wish for quintuplets and Curly says " We'll Honeymoon in Canada. "

Offline metaldams

Are we all aware that the names Curly gives to the "quintuplets" are the actual names of the actual Dionne Quintuplets, natural-born Canadian quints who were big news in 1936 ?  This joke recurs years later when Moe tells Curly to wish for quintuplets and Curly says " We'll Honeymoon in Canada. "

Actually, I am aware of it and simply failed to mention it, but thanks.  That bit is my favorite part of the entire short.  I also forgot to mention how childishly funny Curly looks in that scene, which adds to the humor.  The suspenders and shirt that looks about three sizes too small are a nice touch.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

False Alarms is a short that I am always glad to watch. Like Metaldams, I'm not sure why I can't place it among my top favorites, but I suspect it's the lack of extended build-up to its gags. Still, it has a lot of good, funny stuff in it and very little that is embarrassing or unpleasant to watch.

It is mildly funny, for the Stooge devotee, to see Stanley Blystone, formerly the brutal Sergeant McGillicuddy of Half Shot Shooters, reappear to say to the Stooges, "If we were in the army, I'd have you shot at sunrise!" Here, however, he is a captain rather than a sergeant—a genuine figure of authority rather than a mere upper underling and petty tyrant like the sergeant—and exercises his power in a just and responsible fashion. I think this makes it all the funnier when he gets soaked with soapy water by the Stooges.

By the way, I don't see it noted among the "Stooge Goofs" for this short that when the captain dresses down the Stooges, he begins the recital of their failings by saying, "You've dissed fires." At least, that's how it sounds on my DVD. (I'm not suggesting that he meant to say "dissed," which was not a word at that time; I think he just flubbed the word "missed.")

I always enjoy those moments when the Stooges spontaneously introduce rhymes into their conversation ("At your service day and night"; "Brighto! Brighto! Makes old bodies new!"; "We'll get that filthy lucre!"). Here they do it after the captain has granted them another trial as firemen. Moe says, "We've got to come through for the captain!" Larry adds, "And the crew!" And then Curly says something that sounds to me like "And Alma and Mamie too!" but which I find transcribed on this site as "And the alma mater, too!" Since Curly has a lady friend named Mamie in this short (who, by the way, is quite a honey, in my opinion!), I'm not convinced that he doesn't say something with her name in it here. Anyway, the important thing is that the exchange ends with Curly saying, "Woo woo-woo-woo woo, woo-woo!" (which is also the last line of the "Brighto" rhyme!).

Sometimes, on watching a Stooge short for the Nth time, I laugh at something that I haven't laughed at before (or, at least, not the last time that I saw the short). In my last viewing of this short, that happened to me with the bit when Larry and Moe are lying on a bed, Larry asleep, Moe reading a magazine. The telephone on the table next to the bed on Larry's side rings. Larry doesn't move. Moe jabs him.

Moe: Hey! Don't you hear that bell?
Larry: (shouts over the noise of the bell, as at the beginning of the short) WHAT?
Moe: You going to start that again? (Slaps Larry)

This short contains some delightful novel variations on old gags. My favorite is Moe's poking Curly in the eyes over the telephone. That is so absurd that it is almost sublime. Another happens when Moe learns that Curly has pulled the fire alarm just to get him and Larry to come meet the girls:

Moe: (Holds out fist to Curly) You see that?
Curly: You ain't got time now—here comes the captain!

And, of course, Curly's exchange of slaps with Minnie is a high point. I think it is even better than the slap-off with his dancing partner in Hoi Polloi, as it ends with Curly once again getting the worse of the "See that?" business. Curly's inability to gain the upper hand (so to speak) in this ritual is brought to a climax here when, making one final experiment, he slaps his own fist down, only to conk himself on the head!

There is an uncharacteristically subtle gag—subtle by Stooge standards anyway—when Larry and Moe are trying to get out of the locked bathroom. The last we see of them in one sequence has Moe threatening to shove Larry down the drain and putting him head-first into the sink to demonstrate. In a subsequent sequence we see Moe standing alone above the sink and speaking to Larry as if he were down the drain, before the camera backs up to show Larry underneath the sink.

The business of their escape, when they knock down the door, fly helplessly across the floor on it, and fall through the hole, makes me laugh not only because of the spliced-in shot of the dummies of Moe and Larry falling on their heads but also the subsequent business when Moe removes Larry's hat to poke him in the eyes only to find that his head has disappeared into his shoulders, a problem that he remedies by pulling Larry's head out by the hair.

The one bit that makes me uncomfortable is Minnie's importuning of Curly to provide her with a boyfriend, as it builds its would-be humor on the rather ugly premise that nobody wants a fat girl. As Metaldams says, she is a bizarre character. Even so, I think it's pretty funny when she says, "Come on, girls! Let's go places and eat things!"

I was not aware of the first reference. Thanks for mentioning it.

Offline Kopfy2013

For some reason I laughed the most when Moe stated "how about a hand?" to Larry and Larry smashes his hand  against Moe's head.  The look Moe gave was priceless. He looked surprised even.

Solid short. Nothing dramatic or classic but solid. I liked Curly interjecting current events by naming the hoses after the quintuplets.

The smack off with 'Hercules' was entertaining.
Niagara Falls

Offline JWF

Minnie:  I grow on people!
Curly: So do warts!!

Curly calling Minnie "Hercules"

After the car crash, Moe is trying to get the others out of the car and says to a bystander (referring to Minnie) "Help me with this midget"..

These never fail to generate a laugh!

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

After the car crash, Moe is trying to get the others out of the car and says to a bystander (referring to Minnie) "Help me with this midget"..

These never fail to generate a laugh!

To me, having five of the six occupants of the car disappear from its cabin and then emerge from the trunk is the funniest element of the crash. Moe inexplicably ends up on the ground outside the car altogether, though not much the worse for it. Like Curly outrunning the falling cake, it is another manifestation of the bizarre laws of Stooge physics.

Is anyone besides me struck by how elegantly dressed all the passersby are (with the possible exception of the guy in the too-short necktie who helps Moe up)?

Offline falsealarms

If not my favorite Stooges short, it's certainly one of them.

I can't add much to what has already been said, but there's a lot to like here... the outdoor filming, the chase, the firehose scene, the lost key in the sink bit, the "I can't hear on account of the bell" line, Curly's line about not getting up at sunrise, Curly's line about "cruelty towards animals," and the Sol Horwitz appearance. The short pretty much fires on all cylinders and rates as an easy classic.

For another very good (though not quite as good) fire-themed short from 1936, check out BLUE BLAZES (Keaton, Educational).

Offline Lefty

According to the closed-captioning when I watched this short last night, it stated that the captain said, "You've ditched fires, slept through alarms, ..." (Italics mine)

I wonder how Cecile and Emilie felt about not being mentioned by Curly.  Cecile and Annette are the two surviving quints as of this month.

And is it just me, or did June Gittelson's character Minnie rate a conglomeration of slaps, eye pokes, and anything else Moe would do to the Stooges?  Yet Maisie didn't mind Minnie wanting Curly.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I enjoy this short, especially Curly in the dinner scene.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Squirrelbait

I'll be posting my official review soon, but I do have one question about this one - is the Chief's new car indeed a '36 Ford?

I'm kind of a car guy, and it certainly looks like one. Does anybody know for sure?
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline JazzBill

Is anyone besides me struck by how elegantly dressed all the passersby are (with the possible exception of the guy in the too-short necktie who helps Moe up)?

One of the passersby is Solomon Horwitz, he's in it twice.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JazzBill

Here's another one I like a lot. Good things usually happen when the boys are in uniform. There are some good location shots, lots of sight gags and slaptick. June Gittleson gets so much screen time that she's practically a 4th Stooge and she does a good job. I beleive there's a goof that isn't noted in Stooge Goofs. When the Captains runaway car goes into the fire station a few firemen run out. The one without the hat that points his arm appears to be the Captain. Then in the next scene the Captain is on a truck and yells, "Thats my car". This short is high on my favorites list and I rate it a 9.     

Offline archiezappa

I love this short!  So, what's the worst thing you could do to your overbearing boss?  Why, wreck his new car, of course.  Hilarious!

Offline Squirrelbait

I've always enjoyed this one, especially the car chase scenes. In fact, I think the only other short that comes close to the same level of 'motor-mayhem' is Oily To Bed, Oily To Rise.

Highlights:
Stooges fighting with the Fire Chief
Curly and the 'Quintuplet' baby hoses
Curly at the birthday party after he knocks the cake out the window, then runs down to catch it - hilarious!
Minnie hitting on Curly ('Alright Hercules')
Moe gouging Curly over the phone
The climatic joyride with the Chief's new car, and then wrecking it as the short ends.

Overall, this one's a ton of fun!

Still curious to know the exact make of the Chief's car though.

Rating: 8/10

'We gotta come through for the Captain - and the Crew - and Alma Mamie too!
Come on - get busy
Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-WOO!"
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline JazzBill

Still curious to know the exact make of the Chief's car though.

From the Filmography section under Fan reviews

Re: FALSE ALARMS
Posted 2005-08-21 21:02:58 by [Deleted Member]   

Further up, there was a question about the year of the Captain's car. 1935? 1936? It's a 1936. That was one of the first AMT model kits I built. I double checked(GOOGLE) and the 1935 had a slightly rounded grille but not the big wrap around grille like the 1936. Release date was August so there was plenty of time to line up a 1936 Ford.

Offline Kopfy2013

One of the passersby is Solomon Horwitz, he's in it twice.

I never knew Moe and Curly's dad was in this. Thanks.
Niagara Falls

Offline BeatleShemp

For some reason I laughed the most when Moe stated "how about a hand?" to Larry and Larry smashes his hand  against Moe's head.  The look Moe gave was priceless. He looked surprised even.

Solid short. Nothing dramatic or classic but solid. I liked Curly interjecting current events by naming the hoses after the quintuplets.

The smack off with 'Hercules' was entertaining.

Kopfy that is my favorite scene in this short, Larry giving Moe a "hand." I think this would be the first short to utilize the Moe-Larry partnership. It's a classic short in its own right, and I love it.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
This short was funny.  Any short that has the Stooges doing an activity that requires them to be in a hurry is funny to me.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline stoogerascalfan62

One part I don't like is Moe picking up Larry and hitting Larry's head against the bottom of the bathtub near the drain. If I were Larry I'd have poked Moe's eyes out.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
the names Curly gives to the "quintuplets" are the actual names of the actual Dionne Quintuplets, natural-born Canadian quints who were big news in 1936 ?

Related... new to DVD July 2014 from Fox.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
A short that's a barrel of laughs for me.  The scenes of them driving and swerving around the streets are incredible, but this routine was done even better on Mister Ed 25 years later.  It all works together toward the inevitable end: everyone mad at the Stooges.

10/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Easily Del Lord's best 1936 short. Though it lacks an iconic set piece, "False Alarms" delivers more than enough laughs to compensate for a rather abrupt ending (in John Grey's original screenplay, the Stooges attempt to repair the captain's car). Stanley Blystone has a much better role this time around — especially when compared to his sadistic sergeant in "Half Shot Shooters." Only Del could film a wild car chase through the streets of Los Angeles. "False Alarms" also serves as a shining example of why Moe and Larry are a great comedy team in their scenes without Curly. In retrospect, "The Two Stooges" wouldn't have been a bad idea after Shemp's death. (No Besser, no problem.)

9/10