Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Whoops, I'm an Indian! (1936)

metaldams · 26 · 13062

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/18
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028504/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

My pick for the most politically incorrect named Stooge short!

WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN! is an unusual short for me in that I feel a supporting player has a role funnier than the Stooges.  The Stooges are their usual funny selves in this one, but Bud Jamison as Pierre really steals the show here.  Bud's unquestionably one of the top five great Stooge supporting players, and this is his finest moment.  The French accent is fantastic, and the way he transforms from angry to flirtatious at the drop of a hat is really entertaining.  The scenes with a cross dressing Indian Curly are the highlight.  Some of my favorite bits are the "Ze nice fat Indian mama" exchange, and this immortal bit of dialogue, one of my all time favorite Stooge exchanges.

Curly: "Where we going?"

Bud: "For the honeymoon, for you I have the grand surprise."

Curly: "So do I, if you only knew it."

Fantastic exchange there, hidden with all kind of innuendo, yet it survived the Production Code.  Curly's woo woo wooing reaction when he's officially married is beyond priceless.

The rest of the short is good Stooges, if not quite as memorable without Bud.  I do want to comment this short has relatively big budget feel for a Stooge short, with lots of scenery changes, like the bar, lots of outdoor scenery with forests and lakes, and a cabin.  The boys seem to move around a lot in this one, unlike the Shemp shorts where they are more boxed in due to budget restraints.

So overall, a sublime short when Bud Jamison's on the screen, an entertaining yet average short without him, and the only negative being the ending, which is too sudden.

8/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:16:06 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I just finished watching this one & I would say it's definitely the weakest short of 1936. Not bad, mind you, just not on the same level of the several classics that precede it or the one that comes after it.

At any rate, it's still a good short with a lot of highlights including the exchange between Curly & Moe while up in the tree: "What did you do with the money? I threw it away so I could run faster!". Also loved Moe's fishing adventure: common sense would probably tell you that all the fish Moe kept throwing back would probably have added up to a good meal, but of course Moe wants the biggest fish you could imagine & of course Curly ends up throwing it back in the lake.  :P

Pierre might be Bud Jamison's finest moment as a stooge supporting player, but as soon as I type that I remember Johnson from A Pain in the Pullman. Still, Pierre was great (I keel all Indians).

7 out of 10.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

My favorite moment in this short is when Larry, playing me, INSTANTLY gives Curly up to save his and Moe's sorry hides: " All right, Buddy, lay off of us and you can have her."

Offline Kopfy2013

I do not have too much to say about this short. I like it. I do not love it. Bud Jamison did really good as mentioned above also I like the bumbling sheriff.

Curly shines with his antics.

Niagara Falls

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Just a collection of observations under several headings this time instead of one of Dr. Hugo's dissertations (I wrote this last week before going on a trip with a device that makes adding and altering text difficult, so this does not include comments on previous posts; I will say, though, that I agree with Metaldams about Bud Jamison's performance, though not about this being the most un-PC of Stooge shorts; that honor has to go to the wartime shorts in which Japanese characters appear or are assumed by the Stooges):

Bud Jamison's "Pierre" is one of my favorite Stooge foils and one of the best things in this short. Jamison had little aptitude for accents, in the sense that he never makes them sound real, but for some reason I find the accent of his irascible French-Canadian trapper hilarious throughout this short, no matter how fake it sounds. Memorable instances:

--"I think this game, she is crook! I smell the skunk!"

--"Oh! For Indians to steal my wife is pretty bad, but when Indians take my bacon ("backon") and my beans, I take ("tack") Indians' scalp!"

His characterization throughout the short is excellent. One of the things that make the business of his catching the three "Indians" in his cabin so funny is that from his initial surprised reaction, "Oh! Indians!", one can have no idea of what is going to come next. He does not explode in anger as a Vernon Dent character might do, but slowly reveals his vengeful intent. Later, in his dealings with Curly as "the nice fat Indian mama," he makes even quicker transitions back and forth between rage and amorousness.

Moe administering discipline

--Moe and Curly are perched on a tree limb:
Moe: What did you do with the money?
Curly: I threw it away so I could run faster!
His slap sends Curly spinning around the tree limb before they both fall down and hit Larry. I wish that the makers had used a distance shot with dummies falling the whole distance, as in Ants in the Pantry, rather than a medium close-up of Larry with the actual Moe and Curly dropping down on him, but I suppose that would have been more difficult and would have required more expense in production.

--When Moe breaks Curly's found "club" over his head, part of what makes it funny (to me anyway) is the meagerness of the provocation. It may be punishment for the stupidity of his plan of catching fish with chewing tobacco, or it may be just because, any time a subordinate Stooge presents Moe with something that could be used for hitting him on the head, Moe hits him on the head with it.

--The three disguise themselves with pieces of Indian garb and a wig inexplicably available in Pierre's cabin:
Curly: I ain't going to wear this—this is last year's model!
Moe: Maybe you'd like to have an ermine wrap?
Curly: You mean it? SOITENLY!
Moe: (Slaps Curly) That's the rap, now go out and get yourself your own ermine!

Stooge physics and other oddities

--Larry practices Stooge wood chopping, which works according to the principle that what goes up must come down on the head of whoever made it go up.

--Curly goes fishing: Three shots with a double-barreled shotgun underwater kill five fish, which are all attached to a line hanging from the barrel of the gun by the time he wades out of the water.

--The table that breaks into splinters when Pierre brings his fists down on it ("I KEEL all indians!") reminds us that even the actions of secondary characters who are by themselves are governed by the laws of Stooge physics.

--The canoe that seems to propel itself across the lake as if motorized is an odd visual gag, as there is no reason for it whatever. But the studio thought it was good enough to be re-used in Back to the Woods a year later.

--A note on production: When Curly encounters the sheriff coming around the tree and gives him an eye-poke, his fingers actually hit the actor's eyes instead of his forehead.

--How does Curly get into the cabin after running around to the back when the cabin has only one door?

--I have always found the bit in which the Stooges try to hitch a ride back to Lobo City with a man on a horse bizarre. For one thing, the clumsy way in which it is spliced together fails to make it appear as if the rider and the Stooges are in the same place (as presumably the actors were not). For another, there is the sheer oddity of the idea: do they think that a horse can seat four men? The man's grumpy response, "Aah, no riders!", with a downward flick of the hand, reminds me of the similar response of the palace guard to the serenading efforts of Moe, Larry, and Shemp in the much later Squareheads of the Round Table. Luckily, there happens to be a three-person tandem bicycle behind a haystack on a nearby farm. (A farm out in the wilderness?)

Funny Indian business

Sheriff: How!
Larry: How!
Moe: How!
Curly: And how! (Moe gives him a sharp look)
Sheriff: (Speaking very slowly) You see three paleface around here?
Curly: Me no fershtey!* (Moe kicks him) Hmrgh!
Moe: Hunh!
Larry: Hunh!
Moe: Hunh hunh-hunh-hunh hunh!
All three: Hunh-hunh!
*Another instance of the Stooges making passing use of Yiddish.

Pierre: You keep my wigwam?
Curly: You keep your own wig warm!

Disappointing ending to the short, when the Stooges take refuge in a handy jail cell and get locked in by the sheriff.

Offline Lefty

A decent short, and the number one star was Bud Jamison as Pierre.  My favorite line was when Curly's wig came off.  "She's a heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"  Pierre should have uttered some French words or phrases just to add a little more authenticity to his part.

The fishing scene was pretty good, something I rarely saw in the olden days on TV when it was edited out.

Moe is the brains of the outfit, but it was his fault that they got locked in the hoosegow at the end.

Offline metaldams

though not about this being the most un-PC of Stooge shorts; that honor has to go to the wartime shorts in which Japanese characters appear or are assumed by the Stooges):

I agree that some WWII shorts are the most politically incorrect, and those should make for some interesting conversations.  I said WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN! is the most politically incorrect named short.

Great observations as usual, Hugo.

- Doug Sarnecky

I always thought the title was something of a pun, Whoops as in Indian war whoops.  If the politically incorrect part in your opinion is the word Indian, I don't think the term Native American had been coined back then, and Whoops I'm an Indigene doesn't have much of a ring to it.
     The canoe gag is flawless, IMHO.  I've looked hard for a tow rope and don't see a trace.  The film is slightly sped-up, I think, but not enough for the undercrank to be the whole mechanism.  If there's a motor on board, I can't spot it.  Movie Magic, is all I can say.

Offline metaldams

I always thought the title was something of a pun, Whoops as in Indian war whoops.  If the politically incorrect part in your opinion is the word Indian, I don't think the term Native American had been coined back then, and Whoops I'm an Indigene doesn't have much of a ring to it.
     The canoe gag is flawless, IMHO.  I've looked hard for a tow rope and don't see a trace.  The film is slightly sped-up, I think, but not enough for the undercrank to be the whole mechanism.  If there's a motor on board, I can't spot it.  Movie Magic, is all I can say.

To me the politically incorrect part, at least on the surface, is the idea of the word "Whoops," meaning to me, "Oh no," or something to that effect, followed by "I'm an Indian!"  It just superficially sounds like why am I this other ethnicity, and in this day and age, that title would never be used.  Now I'm not personally offended, and in the context of the short, I interpret the title to mean "Whoops, I'm an Indian" because the Stooges happened to be dressed as such while running into Pierre, who either hates all Indians, and likes ze nice fat Indian mama's.
- Doug Sarnecky

Myself, I don't think that anybody thought in those terms in 1936.

Offline metaldams

Myself, I don't think that anybody thought in those terms in 1936.

Neither do I, it's just interesting how public perception changes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

So I watched this short again and I had a good chuckle on 2 scenes:

Where Curly dumped the money so he could run faster;

Where Moe said 'Where did you get this stuff?  Did you steal it?"
     Larry"  What do you think I am a crook? I just took it"
 :laugh:

Niagara Falls

Offline JazzBill

The short has a few good bits and a couple decent site gags but all in all I find it kind of weak. The best scenes are the ones with Bud Jamison in them. In my opinion he pretty much steals the show in this one. I do find Larry's bravery very amusing, "Alright buddy, lay off us and you can have her".  I find this to be an average short and rate it a 7 1/2.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Larrys#1

Now this episode, I really didn't care for. The only part that I liked was the opening scene where the stooges try to scam everyone. Other than that, this entire episode was a yawn fest. No offense to those that like this... but it is one of my least favorites.

3/10

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I actually enjoy this short quite a bit.  Bud is excellent as Pierre, and Moe does a great job of verbally abusing fish.  8/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

After not seeing this short in over 15 years I thought "Whoops I'm An Indian" was a good but not great stooge short, the outdoor scenery does add a lot to the short and the scene where the stooges were fishing was a classic along with Pierre flirting with Curly in drag, this is one short I like better now than when I did watching the Three Stooges on AMC back in the early 2000's and I give it a 7 out of 10.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Whenever the Stooges venture into the great outdoors, the results are hilarious. The fishing scene is a definite highlight and Bud Jamison shines as Pierre (one of his finest roles). If the ending wasn't so abrupt and disappointing, I would rank this as a Stooge classic. In terms of print quality, "Whoops, I'm an Indian!" lacks the sharpness of the other Columbia two-reelers — probably due to a lost or decomposed negative. There's always hope that a pristine 35mm print will turn up.

8/10

Offline I. Cheatam

Just a collection of observations under several headings this time instead of one of Dr. Hugo's dissertations (I wrote this last week before going on a trip with a device that makes adding and altering text difficult, so this does not include comments on previous posts; I will say, though, that I agree with Metaldams about Bud Jamison's performance, though not about this being the most un-PC of Stooge shorts; that honor has to go to the wartime shorts in which Japanese characters appear or are assumed by the Stooges):

Bud Jamison's "Pierre" is one of my favorite Stooge foils and one of the best things in this short. Jamison had little aptitude for accents, in the sense that he never makes them sound real, but for some reason I find the accent of his irascible French-Canadian trapper hilarious throughout this short, no matter how fake it sounds. Memorable instances:

--"I think this game, she is crook! I smell the skunk!"

--"Oh! For Indians to steal my wife is pretty bad, but when Indians take my bacon ("backon") and my beans, I take ("tack") Indians' scalp!"

His characterization throughout the short is excellent. One of the things that make the business of his catching the three "Indians" in his cabin so funny is that from his initial surprised reaction, "Oh! Indians!", one can have no idea of what is going to come next. He does not explode in anger as a Vernon Dent character might do, but slowly reveals his vengeful intent. Later, in his dealings with Curly as "the nice fat Indian mama," he makes even quicker transitions back and forth between rage and amorousness.

Moe administering discipline

--Moe and Curly are perched on a tree limb:
Moe: What did you do with the money?
Curly: I threw it away so I could run faster!
His slap sends Curly spinning around the tree limb before they both fall down and hit Larry. I wish that the makers had used a distance shot with dummies falling the whole distance, as in Ants in the Pantry, rather than a medium close-up of Larry with the actual Moe and Curly dropping down on him, but I suppose that would have been more difficult and would have required more expense in production.

--When Moe breaks Curly's found "club" over his head, part of what makes it funny (to me anyway) is the meagerness of the provocation. It may be punishment for the stupidity of his plan of catching fish with chewing tobacco, or it may be just because, any time a subordinate Stooge presents Moe with something that could be used for hitting him on the head, Moe hits him on the head with it.

--The three disguise themselves with pieces of Indian garb and a wig inexplicably available in Pierre's cabin:
Curly: I ain't going to wear this—this is last year's model!
Moe: Maybe you'd like to have an ermine wrap?
Curly: You mean it? SOITENLY!
Moe: (Slaps Curly) That's the rap, now go out and get yourself your own ermine!

Stooge physics and other oddities

--Larry practices Stooge wood chopping, which works according to the principle that what goes up must come down on the head of whoever made it go up.

--Curly goes fishing: Three shots with a double-barreled shotgun underwater kill five fish, which are all attached to a line hanging from the barrel of the gun by the time he wades out of the water.

--The table that breaks into splinters when Pierre brings his fists down on it ("I KEEL all indians!") reminds us that even the actions of secondary characters who are by themselves are governed by the laws of Stooge physics.

--The canoe that seems to propel itself across the lake as if motorized is an odd visual gag, as there is no reason for it whatever. But the studio thought it was good enough to be re-used in Back to the Woods a year later.

--A note on production: When Curly encounters the sheriff coming around the tree and gives him an eye-poke, his fingers actually hit the actor's eyes instead of his forehead.

--How does Curly get into the cabin after running around to the back when the cabin has only one door?

--I have always found the bit in which the Stooges try to hitch a ride back to Lobo City with a man on a horse bizarre. For one thing, the clumsy way in which it is spliced together fails to make it appear as if the rider and the Stooges are in the same place (as presumably the actors were not). For another, there is the sheer oddity of the idea: do they think that a horse can seat four men? The man's grumpy response, "Aah, no riders!", with a downward flick of the hand, reminds me of the similar response of the palace guard to the serenading efforts of Moe, Larry, and Shemp in the much later Squareheads of the Round Table. Luckily, there happens to be a three-person tandem bicycle behind a haystack on a nearby farm. (A farm out in the wilderness?)

Funny Indian business

Sheriff: How!
Larry: How!
Moe: How!
Curly: And how! (Moe gives him a sharp look)
Sheriff: (Speaking very slowly) You see three paleface around here?
Curly: Me no fershtey!* (Moe kicks him) Hmrgh!
Moe: Hunh!
Larry: Hunh!
Moe: Hunh hunh-hunh-hunh hunh!
All three: Hunh-hunh!
*Another instance of the Stooges making passing use of Yiddish.

Pierre: You keep my wigwam?
Curly: You keep your own wig warm!

Disappointing ending to the short, when the Stooges take refuge in a handy jail cell and get locked in by the sheriff.

I thought the final shot of the Stooges unknowingly hiding in the jail cell was a nice touch, as the sheriff was after them, the whole time.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

We're in the portion of my countdown that I call the "average Curly" episodes.  Sure, they are always good for a few laughs, but they just can't compete with the top tier Curly classics.  This one has some good dialogue and Bud Jamison does a great job in support.  Still, not enough going for it to rank it any higher.

#122. Whoops, I'm An Indian!

Offline O.U. Gonga

“Whoops! I’m An Indian!” was never a favorite of mine. However, I decided to give it a fresh view.

The film starts slowly with few laughs. I appreciate these early Stooge efforts for the outdoor locations, but the gags with the fishing seem pedestrian and forced.

The last half of the film picks up with Pierre and Curly. I agree Bud Jamison shines here, and you can’t beat Curly in drag, cultural appropriation aside.

To me, this is their weakest effort to date, save for “Half Shot Shooters.” 6/10

Offline Samurai

To me the politically incorrect part, at least on the surface, is the idea of the word "Whoops," meaning to me, "Oh no," or something to that effect, followed by "I'm an Indian!"  It just superficially sounds like why am I this other ethnicity, and in this day and age, that title would never be used.  Now I'm not personally offended, and in the context of the short, I interpret the title to mean "Whoops, I'm an Indian" because the Stooges happened to be dressed as such while running into Pierre, who either hates all Indians, and likes ze nice fat Indian mama's.
This morning, my early morning Toony & Bill on MeTV wake up routine had me watching (listening) to a Betty Boop cartoon titled 'Whoops! I'm a Cowboy'. I thought the title may have led to the Stooges title, but as it premiered a few months later, the reverse is more likely. Then again, I'm not certain how long a 30's cartoon took to produce. Interesting? Maybe not, but here I am writing about it.

Palaver aside, I've always enjoyed (most of) this short. For me, it was all about the boys as Indians dealing with BudPierre... especially Curly. We all have certain sounds that inexplicably tickle us. A personal favorite was Curly's high pitched 'Howwwww' upon returning to the saloon. In college, several of us would recreate those sounds as we came down to dinner. It was just plain juvenile, but it still makes me smile every time I think about it.

Offline metaldams

I’ve heard rumors Sony is releasing this on blu ray and changing the title to, “Whoops, I’m a Guardian!”  Just rumors though, don’t take this seriously until more is out there. 😉
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I’ve heard rumors Sony is releasing this on blu ray and changing the title to, “Whoops, I’m a Guardian!”  Just rumors though, don’t take this seriously until more is out there. 😉

You dropped this.  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Fanny Brice ("Funny Girl") had a big hit in 1921 called, "I'm an Indian". The song was packed with as many Lower East Side Yiddishisms as possible, so we hear, "Oy, I'm an Indian. Whoop, I'm an Indian squaw." Doesn't make the short any more politically correct, but at least we know what the reference was to.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Fanny Brice ("Funny Girl") had a big hit in 1921 called, "I'm an Indian". The song was packed with as many Lower East Side Yiddishisms as possible, so we hear, "Oy, I'm an Indian. Whoop, I'm an Indian squaw." Doesn't make the short any more politically correct, but at least we know what the reference was to.

As somebody who doesn’t own any music earlier than Elvis at Sun Studios, I never would have known that if not for you, so thanks for the info.  Yeah, there must be a ton of references like that lost on me and most others that audiences of the day would have known.
- Doug Sarnecky