Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Playing the Ponies (1937)

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/26
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029408/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

As far as directors go, we're a bit transitional with this one.  Charles Lamont takes this one, his only other Stooge short being RESTLESS KNIGHTS.  I wouldn't consider either short a classic, but this one is entertaining enough, just really an average Curly short, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  A few shorts later, of course, Charley Chase starts directing along with Del Lord, and that makes for some very interesting shorts.

Again, not much to analyze.  The pepperinos continue a tradition of objects influencing action like cheese, Pop Goes the Weasel, and Wild Hyacinth influencing Curly.  This time, however, it's a horse under the influence.  I like some of the the Larry bits in this one too.  Love the part where he ponders why catfish don't have kittens.  Also, this short came out around the same time as the Marx Bros. A DAY AT THE RACES, a very successful racetrack comedy.

7/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:06:25 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Doing some extra research, this short was shot a month before A DAY AT THE RACES was released (this short being shot May 1937 according to our database, and the Marx film being released in June according to imdb).  I wonder if the writers knew of the upcoming Marx film or if it was just coincidence a horse film was made around the same time?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Another good, but not great entry in the stooge pantheon. Actually, now that I think about it, this would be the 2nd good short, following Cash and Carry and the short that follows it also falls into the good category.

I think the most remarkable thing about this particular short is that it's probably the last short made in the late 30s where Larry gets an ample amount of the spotlight. Given all the stories I've heard about how much Larry liked betting on the races, I imagine he really enjoyed making this one.

Of course, continuity doesn't mean much in the stooge universe, but it's interesting to point out that the 2 crooks in this short are the same chiselers who hoodwink the stooges in Cash and Carry.

I also think this is the first short to feature the unique stooge method of making chicken soup. Mmmmmm, good...

7 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Kopfy2013

A solid if unspectacular short.  Nothing hilarious but very entertaining.

For the most part all 3 stooges have equal roles ... in fact maybe Larry a little more of a role.

I will give it an 8.

Niagara Falls

Offline JazzBill

I like this short. It's not great but it does have some good qualities. It has some good location sights and a couple good sight gags. Any time you have Curly in a kitchen, it has to be good. I'm still trying to figure out if that is Moe riding the motorcycle at the end. (I can't figure out if it is an Indian or a Harley, I'm guessing Harley) There is a goof in this short that I haven't seen mentioned before. The bugler sounds the call to the post twice for the same race. They blow the bugle right before Moe and Curly throw Larry on the horse and then right after he's on the horse. I've had plenty of experience at race tracks and they only blow the call to post once. I still like the short and rate it an 8.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Anybody else have anything to say on this one?  Just scanning through this board and noticed the lack of replies compared to the others.
- Doug Sarnecky

TiskaTaskaBaska

I have a soft spot for this one...."Flounder Inn"; come on; how can't you? 35 cents for lobster with frogs legs? And that salmonella soup Curly concocts? Since I like to discuss the minutiae of the shorts, let's begin...I always get annoyed with the food waste demonstrated when Curly "peels" the potato; he ends up with basically a 1" x 1" cube. While things were getting better by '37 I'm sure not everyone was out of the Depression or had enough to eat...that always upsets me. The customer finding out he's eating from the dog's dish...gross! And Moe taking the guy's water when he says he won't order anything. Now to the track scenes....I am always completely grossed out that they eat pepperinos out of the hand that the horse just ate from and slobbered on....yick. I cannot drive by a kerosene pump at the gas station without yelling, "It's kerosene!" I love the loop of Larry saying, "Help! Whoo! Get it out!" And Curly sidling by the doorway that Larry just clunked his head on....    I love the canvas bucket; I love seeing Moe look awesome driving a Harley. And I love the horse in braids at the end eating his oats. Not a 10, but it's not ever a short that I jump over. I say a solid 7.3.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

"Hey waiter, what is this, pork or veal?"

"What did you order?"

"Veal."

"Then it's veal."

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

TiskaTaskaBaska

"Hey waiter, what is this, pork or veal?"

"What did you order?"

"Veal."

"Then it's veal."

I forgot that one!!!

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Curly races the horse around the track... and wins!  'Nough said!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A nice change of pace for the Stooges, with a well-deserved happy ending and a great closing shot. Unlike the Marx Brothers' incredibly overlong "A Day at the Races," you don't have to sit through bad musical numbers.

8/10
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:23:22 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
After 7 years, I have finally taken time to view this short and write a review of it.

Oh, my goodness, what a silly short even if not an all-time classic.  This short reeks of classic 1930s Stooge atmospheres, and clearly this short was written with the first half featuring Curly and the second featuring Larry.  The cast all does well to help things past the slow bits.

There are so many bits unique to this short: the entire kitchen scene blow-by-blow, particularly the way Curly prepares the food; the pepperinos; the entire race.  It's all good and funny stuff, but there's no "stand out" moment and no moment that makes you laugh your rear off, but it's solid Stooge fare.  The ending makes a nice finishing touch as well.

8/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Another middle of the road Curly effort.  Some good bits, but not enough belly laughs overall to rank any higher.

#136. Playing The Ponies