Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Sitter Downers (1937)

metaldams · 28 · 13587

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/27
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029574/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

I've always been a big fan of this one.  I think I enjoy house building comedies in general, as I can think of similar Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy films I enjoy just as much.  My only problem with this one, and I don't think this of many Stooge shorts, is that it's not long enough!  I wish this could be a three reeler.  The short goes from Curly falling out of the tree on his wife straight to this bizzare looking house for the last couple of minutes.  Perhaps an extra reel involving gags building this house would be appropriate.

That being said, what is here is great.  The scene where Moe chases Larry around with the running gag (no pun intended) of them messing up Curly's cement is one of the best scenes where all Three Stooges get put to use brilliantly.  Curly's reactions rank among his all time best, and Larry exacting revenge on Moe adds a unique touch.  Another highlight of this short for me is the way Curly pulls on James C Morton as Moe and Larry take the pin cushion out of his backside. 

Overall, a funny short, but I wish there was more.

9/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:05:42 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A good short, but like metal says, maybe a bit too brief. This might be the quickest Curly short as far as run time & the ending does leave you with the feeling that there could have been more to the story.

That being said, there are a lot of great bits in this one, perhaps my favorite being what Curly does after he decides to picket & unrolls the "Unfair to Union Suitors" sign. And of course, there's Larry getting some well deserved revenge on Moe.

7.5 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Kopfy2013

Great short.

I agree it is way too short. It was over it seemed way before it should have been.  I am just getting comfortable in my seat enjoying myself and then it's over.  Looking at the stats it is around their fourth shortest short ever.

Some points gleemed from this site and various books:
  The blond was Ted Healy's sister.  Her only film credit. I would name her but if you listen carefully she is called all 3 names - Florabell, Corabell, Dorabell.  Gittleson is named Dorabell, then Florabell.  Ted Healy was killed less than 4 months later.

Jim Pauley's book nails the location of the houses the Stooge 'vehicle' passes.  It is in Toluca Lake, looks like what the pictures show and if you are at 'Bob's Big Boy' you can walk there.  However, I would love to know the exact location on where they were when building the house.  If you look in the background you can see houses in the distance.  Do they still exist?  Is there something unique about one of them that a trained eye can detect that would nail this location?

There is a deleted scene where Curly ruins the house plans by fire.  An unavailable Stooge Journal has more on this.  Did the scene go too long so they cut it?  That would explain the shortness of this film.

I loved Larry extracting revenge on Moe and Moe continuously chasing Larry .... Curly's reactions to Mr. Bell when getting his pins removed..... Curly's picketing first for the woman then as a husband.

Solid 9 rating.

Offline falsealarms

As for THE SITTER-DOWNERS, it's an easy classic for me.

Having the Stooges build a house is a comedic concept that can't go wrong, and it doesn't here. It's the second best Stooges short of 1937, trailing only DIZZY DOCTORS.

Some of the gags in DOWNERS were previously used in the 1935 Shemp Howard Vitaphone solo short WHY PAY RENT, which can't be released soon enough through Warner Archive.

Offline JazzBill

Here's another short I like a lot. I really like that little motor scooter Moe is riding in the beginning. It looks to be about a 1937 Cushman. ( also called a Milk Stool ) I like a lot of the lines and site gags in this one. "I got Stetson, which one is she? " I got married so I can retire" "Come down out of there Tarzan" I enjoyed seeing Larry get even with Moe after being chased around for a couple of minutes.  I also thought the bit with Healy's sister getting hit with the brick from the water can was funny. I really don't know what to call her because like Kopfy said, she gets called by more than one name. It's in my top favorites list and I rate it a 9.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Larrys#1

A decent episode all around. Love the parts where Curly sits on the knitting needles, Larry and Moe ruining Curly's cement job, Curly getting his feet stuck in the cement and the house falling apart at the end. Very good episode, but I did find the beginning a little slow, but it picks up once the stooges go to work on building the house.

8/10

Offline ManiacMan

I like this one. I definitely wouldn't say it's a favorite of mine but it is one of the better shorts from Volume Two, Disc 2 (I've watched the DVDs so many times I've memorized which shorts are on which discs). So many great bits in this especially all the construction stuff. Love the idea of letting The Stooges build a house. Also features some nice location footage. Haven't seen this one lately but I'd rate a 8/10

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I'd have love to see what the wives would've done to the Stooges after the house collapses.

Offline Signor Spumoni

This is a favorite of mine, and I, too, wish it were longer.  Favorite line = Moe: "Dynamite always blows down."  I also always laugh when Curly opens some mail to see what free things people want to give the Sit-Down Suitors.  He reacts with horror.  Moe asks, "What did you get?" and Curly says, "The gas bill!"

A mistake I noticed involves the doors of the women's father's home.  The Stooges arrive at the front door, which opens into the living room; the sofa is to the left of the viewers when they enter.  Later, Larry gets the mail from the front door, and the sofa is now to the right of the door.  When the first front door is shown again, it now opens to the house's interior. 

Offline JazzBill

A mistake I noticed involves the doors of the women's father's home.  The Stooges arrive at the front door, which opens into the living room; the sofa is to the left of the viewers when they enter.  Later, Larry gets the mail from the front door, and the sofa is now to the right of the door.  When the first front door is shown again, it now opens to the house's interior.

I don't have time to double check this but I believe Larry gets the mail from an open window and not the front door.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Signor Spumoni

JazzBill, I thought I looked carefully, but that's possible.  I'll look even more carefully again next time.  I don't know why the postman would deliver mail to a window and not to the front door, but that may be imposing real-world logic on a Stooges short.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short is a solid 9/10.  The boys here get to do a fine job of being screwball-morons that they so excel at doing.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I think this short is unsurpassed for consistency in keeping the gags coming—and good ones, too. With the possible exception of the opening sequence of the Stooges taking their "car" to the Bell house, which is arguably stretched thin, it has no dull stretches. Though people have remarked that the short overall seems too short, it contains what must be one of the longest continuous gag sequences, which starts with Larry accidentally hitting Moe in the butt and knocking him over and ends with the attempt to revive Dorabelle. One could say that there are two distinct sequences, Moe's campaign against Larry and the blasting of Curly into the tree, but they overlap and are directly connected: Moe's pursuit of Larry causes him to send the keg of nails flying through the air that hits Curly on the head and leaves him wearing cement overshoes, which (of course) must be removed by blasting. The sequence lasts from 7:35 to 14:35, so it takes up nearly half of the entire short (7 minutes out of 15:42—or 15:25 if one sets aside the opening and closing materials). I don't know if there is a gag sequence of equal or greater length in another short.

The bit in which Florabelle tries to hit the Stooges with a plank and hits her sisters in the back, then puts the blame on the boys ("Hit me, would you? You brute!") must have taken more than a few practice runs: the coordination and timing are remarkable!

I did not know that the actress playing Dorabelle was the sister of Ted Healy. She surely has the most God-awful authentic proletarian New York accent of any female in a Stooge short: her line "Get down outta theah, Tahzun!" is a highlight that I eagerly await on every viewing. (Curly's "lantsman" from Toity-toid Street in Wee Wee Monsieur does not compare, as she is clearly assuming the accent in accordance with the script; Marcia Healy, by contrast, is clearly just doing what comes naturally, as her accent is consistently awful throughout the short.)

I don't know why the postman would deliver mail to a window and not to the front door, but that may be imposing real-world logic on a Stooges short.

My understanding of what is going on there has always been that the postman delivers mail addressed to the Sit-Down Suitors directly to them because they get so much of it, while the mail for the Bell household is delivered separately and in the conventional fashion (through the mail slot or in a mail box).

Offline metaldams

I think this short is unsurpassed for consistency in keeping the gags coming—and good ones, too. With the possible exception of the opening sequence of the Stooges taking their "car" to the Bell house, which is arguably stretched thin, it has no dull stretches. Though people have remarked that the short overall seems too short, it contains what must be one of the longest continuous gag sequences, which starts with Larry accidentally hitting Moe in the butt and knocking him over and ends with the attempt to revive Dorabelle. One could say that there are two distinct sequences, Moe's campaign against Larry and the blasting of Curly into the tree, but they overlap and are directly connected: Moe's pursuit of Larry causes him to send the keg of nails flying through the air that hits Curly on the head and leaves him wearing cement overshoes, which (of course) must be removed by blasting. The sequence lasts from 7:35 to 14:35, so it takes up nearly half of the entire short (7 minutes out of 15:42—or 15:25 if one sets aside the opening and closing materials). I don't know if there is a gag sequence of equal or greater length in another short.

You're correct about the extended gag sequence, Hugo, and this is precisely why this film needs to be three reels.  The fact that such an extended gag sequence exists in a Stooge short and never grows old, then they all the sudden shift to a caved in house that is designed out of whack means they could have devised gags to show us how that crazy house was built.  If this were done at Hal Roach, I can easily see this being extended to three reels, but at Columbia, this was not going to happen.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline squirrelnut1416

Hi, first time poster long time reader. I felt the need to throw in my 2 bits on how great of a short this is.

I don't know if its because it has some nostalgic merit in my brain, but to me this will always be the best short. It just has a certain flow to it that just can not be denied. Can any of us honestly say that we didn't want that scooter?

I actually liked how the girls named changed in every shot. I doubt it was intentional but it adds to the surrealism of the short. I mean how many times do they just so happen to find 3 women with names that are some way related? It's almost like the directors knew the names didn't matter to the audience so create a meta-humor out of it.

Don't forget this is probably the ultimate Larry revenge short. That look of malice in his eyes as he knows Moe is stuck and just beats on him with anything he can find. If you take it in the context of the short, it seems kind of over the top. When you take it in the context of the whole series, it's amazing.

All of the sight gags in this one causes ocular overload to my poor lil' peepers. From the surreal (the tub on the wall), to the clever (Stairs? Those are a spice rack), to the more subtle ones. I especially like how the wet cement gag gets turned around on the stooges. There have been many times where X object gets destroyed multiple times by the stooges, but seeing it from Curly's perspective just changes the dynamic enough in order to keep it fresh.

Also, GET OUTTA THAT TREE TARZAN! kills me every time.

The only soft spot I can think of is the fact the woman randomly removes the post at the end. It seems like something else could have happened to make it more plausible, such as someone slamming the door and the 4 walls fall outwards or something. Maybe a joke about the foundation not being put in yet and the house collapses into itself.

Honestly, this whole premise could have been stretched out to a full length film easily. Too bad genius is only visible in hindsight

Offline metaldams

Hi, first time poster long time reader. I felt the need to throw in my 2 bits on how great of a short this is.

I don't know if its because it has some nostalgic merit in my brain, but to me this will always be the best short. It just has a certain flow to it that just can not be denied. Can any of us honestly say that we didn't want that scooter?

I actually liked how the girls named changed in every shot. I doubt it was intentional but it adds to the surrealism of the short. I mean how many times do they just so happen to find 3 women with names that are some way related? It's almost like the directors knew the names didn't matter to the audience so create a meta-humor out of it.

Don't forget this is probably the ultimate Larry revenge short. That look of malice in his eyes as he knows Moe is stuck and just beats on him with anything he can find. If you take it in the context of the short, it seems kind of over the top. When you take it in the context of the whole series, it's amazing.

All of the sight gags in this one causes ocular overload to my poor lil' peepers. From the surreal (the tub on the wall), to the clever (Stairs? Those are a spice rack), to the more subtle ones. I especially like how the wet cement gag gets turned around on the stooges. There have been many times where X object gets destroyed multiple times by the stooges, but seeing it from Curly's perspective just changes the dynamic enough in order to keep it fresh.

Also, GET OUTTA THAT TREE TARZAN! kills me every time.

The only soft spot I can think of is the fact the woman randomly removes the post at the end. It seems like something else could have happened to make it more plausible, such as someone slamming the door and the 4 walls fall outwards or something. Maybe a joke about the foundation not being put in yet and the house collapses into itself.

Honestly, this whole premise could have been stretched out to a full length film easily. Too bad genius is only visible in hindsight

Yes, yes, YES!  Somebody else who recognizes the length of this short could have been stretched.  I honestly don't feel that about too many Stooge shorts and am genuinely satisfied with the short lengths, but not here.

Oh, and as far as the girls' name changing in every shot, I never noticed this, has anybody else?  Not saying you're wrong, it's just something I never paid attention to either way.  Definitely something to watch for next viewing.

Welcome aboard Squirrelnut1416.  Good review, hope to hear more from you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Thank you, TTB for reminding me where Curly's line "don't be so mean" came from.  It's been driving me nuts for months.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

This seems like the place to post a link to this story:

A Man Has Built A Train For All His Adopted Stray Dogs (BuzzFeed News)

Offline Tony Bensley

Quote from: Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on October 29, 2013, 03:54:28 PM
What's the shortest Curly one?

THREE PESTS IN A MESS (1945), at 15.33 minutes.

http://threestooges.net/filmography/index/MLC/duration/
On my VLC Player, FLAT FOOT STOOGES (1938) clocks in at 15.32, including the 4 second Sony Logo at the end, thus I'm looking at 15.28 for this one!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S.  OK, I see a decimal system instead of number of seconds is being employed, here.  Never mind!  [pie]

Offline Dr. Mabuse

As mentioned in earlier posts, "The Sitter Downers" could have used a few extra minutes to deliver a more satisfying conclusion. This partial reworking of "One Week" has everything but the spectacular finish of Buster Keaton's 1920 classic. Nevertheless, there's much to enjoy and the entire cast is wonderful. 

8.5/10

Offline metaldams

As mentioned in earlier posts, "The Sitter Downers" could have used a few extra minutes to deliver a more satisfying conclusion. This partial reworking of "One Week" has everything but the spectacular finish of Buster Keaton's 1920 classic. Nevertheless, there's much to enjoy and the entire cast is wonderful. 

8.5/10

Agreed.  I so badly wanted to rate this perfectly as what is there I love so much.  Yet, there’s that rushed ending that can’t be ignored.  The very definition of flawed masterpiece.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I watched this one for the first time since I joined this site... possibly over 10 years even!  I am hearty agreement that this one is too short, and my mind flows with ideas of how they could have stretched this one to a three-reeler or even a 60 minute movie.

The cement sequence is one of the greatest things I have ever seen in a Three Stooges short.  Not only do we see the boys repeatedly ruining something on some poor soul (usually a glass door breaking or Johnny Kascier's abused waiter routine), but this time it is Moe and Larry, in what may be the longest chase scene where one Stooge chasing another, ruining Curly's cement.  And they make good use of the cement gag to it's fullest when they blast Curly.

James C. Morton is great as Mr. Belle, and there are many great gags through this scene as well.  The girls are pretty decent for a change, which is more commonly seen in these earlier shorts where they often focused on acting over looks.

Any time the boys touch tools there is sure to be guffaws, and this one delivers for sure!  I could go into details about how they could have expanded this short effectively, but I will only do so upon request.  [pie]

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer