Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Sappy People (1939)

metaldams · 24 · 10464

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/43
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032029/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Well, as you can see, my name is METALdams, and yes folks, as most of you know, I like metal music.  Well, there's this live album from a band called Exodus where the late, great, and wildly entertaining Paul Baloff screams into the mic, "I love heavy!"  Well, watching this run of this of shorts, I feel as wild as Baloff, and just want to randomly proclaim, "I love funny!"  There, I said it.  Now let's destroy something, this ain't the Arsenio Hall show!

Anyway, the short that brings us to the altar of Stoogedom this week is THREE SAPPY PEOPLE.  Like Paul Baloff, this short is wildly entertaining.  It has the perfect Stooge formula.  The Stooges are blue collar workers who smash things with tools and somehow get tangled up in a climatic pastry fight at a high society party.  I can really just end the review right here because that in itself is all you need to know that this short rules.  However, I feel like typing more, because I'm trying to develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

The supporting cast is awesome.  Bud Jamison is fantastic as the butler.  Notice the way his body shudders when the pastry hits him in the back of the head.  It's his way of saying, "Look what I have to lower myself to to earn a buck."  I feel like this every Mon through Friday, you're in good company, Mr. Jamison.  Then there are the ladies.  Lorna Gray is wonderful as the wild and bored young gold digger.  The character reminds me of a girl I knew when I was 19.  She used to sneak in bottles of hard liquor in the ladies bathroom at Denny's.  Ms. Sherry Rumsford does not need a psychiatrist, it's Mr. Rumsford who does, thinking he can have a relationship with such a young, wild girl.  What do you expect, Rummy?  Anyway, your ideal is Ann Doran the countess.  Still attractive, yet more overly dignified.  Ann Doran is great in this one, like Bud with the pastry, you can tell she feels she lowered herself by the look on her face when covered in powder.  A real shame Ms. Doran did not appear in more Stooge shorts.  She played Charley Chase's leading lady in a lot of his shorts and like in this short, always did a fine job.

The boys themselves are of course in top form.  My favorite bits are Moe eye gouging the tamale, Curly and Larry using the stethoscope as a straw to drink the punch, and Curly's "putrid" line, which cracks me up every time.  I also find it fascinating how early in the short, Curly can hint that his wife is pregnant, but has to say it almost like he's embarrassed and not actually use the word pregnant.  Values of the day?  The Hays office?  A little of both?  Anyhow, there's tons of slaps, pastries and one liners to go around in this one at a rapid pace, and I will save it for others to discuss.  Besides, I'd like to save my carpal tunnel once we get to the Besser era.

10/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:32:54 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes sir, we certainly are in the midst of a great stooge run of shorts right now. Some of my favorite parts: The return of Curly's pencils gag, why don't you get a toupee with some brains in it, and of course the pastry fight at the end.

Btw, wasn't this the short that the urban legend about Lorna Gray almost choking on a pastry came from?

Excellent stooge short, I get the feeling I'll be saying that a lot in the coming weeks.

8.5 out of 10...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Btw, wasn't this the short that the urban legend about Lorna Gray almost choking on a pastry came from?

Soitenly!

That said, this was one of the funniest shorts from start to finish.  Curly is more dangerous with a ladder than the WWE wrestlers.  The Stooges always are great when mixing something -- in this case, the punch.  "Here's some new kind of liquor -- Wor-ses-ter-shire."  "This says 'Tabasco.'  I ain't never drunk any."  "Boibon and rum oughta help some!"

Ann Doran, a definite scene-stealer in this show, played "Pumpkin," Captain Binghamton's wife, in a McHale's Navy episode about 25 years later, even more stuffy in that role.  "This is our punishment for associating with the hoi polloi."

Of course, Lorna Gray did an excellent job as the nutty wife of J. Rumsford Rumsford (should have been "III" attached to his name).  Hitting those old geezers with the cream puffs always gets a laugh from me.

Offline JazzBill

Another one high on my list of favorites. Fast paced with a lot of good bits. On a side note, Lorna Gray who also went by the name  Adrian Booth is still very much alive. She attended the fan club meeting in 2011. I rate this short 8 1/2. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I haven't seen this one in about 10 years.  Too long for me to remember much, but the Stooges were excellent in this as I remember.  $1500 is sweet though.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Ann Doran, a definite scene-stealer in this show, played "Pumpkin," Captain Binghamton's wife, in a McHale's Navy episode about 25 years later, even more stuffy in that role.  "This is our punishment for associating with the hoi polloi."

A great example of her scene stealing is during the reflex testing scene.  Notice she's tapping her knee right along with everybody else.

Oh, and the scene with Curly tripping on the wooden leg followed by getting kicked by the statue is both a great showcase for Curly's reactions and one of the most surrealistic Stooge scenes ever.  Very Keaton like, but then again, this short was written by Clyde Bruckman, a regular Keaton collaborator.
- Doug Sarnecky

When I was a kid, a thousand years ago, both the punchbowl scene and the wooden leg bit were edited out.  Not for kids, I guess.

Offline Kopfy2013

To me the stars of the short are Ann Doran as Countess and Lorna Gray.  What great contrasts and how they react to the stooges is great .... fun-loving vs. stiff.

One question I have is what did the Countess say when Moe was throwing the cream puffs and Curly was hiding behind the Countess and she was getting pelted?  It was like the line was partially cut out.

Overall I thought this short was average except for the two women.  I thought the telephone scene was not that funny and dragged. There were good one-liners as usual but I found myself squirming alot during the short. I would give it a 7.
Niagara Falls

Offline metaldams

I know there are at least a couple of fellow classic horror fans on the board.  Last night I watched the Karloff Columbia feature THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG, which is from 1939, the same year as THREE SAPPY PEOPLE.  Who do I see?  Lorna Gray, Ann Doran, and Don Beddoe! It was a THREE SAPPY PEOPLE get together.  Throw in Dick Curtis and John Tyrell, and I don't think I've ever seen so many Stooge supporting players in the same non Columbia short.  Definitely a film worth checking out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

I know there are at least a couple of fellow classic horror fans on the board.  Last night I watched the Karloff Columbia feature THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG, which is from 1939, the same year as THREE SAPPY PEOPLE.  Who do I see?  Lorna Gray, Ann Doran, and Don Beddoe! It was a THREE SAPPY PEOPLE get together.  Throw in Dick Curtis and John Tyrell, and I don't think I've ever seen so many Stooge supporting players in the same non Columbia short.  Definitely a film worth checking out.

Very cool. Trying to locate that movie
Niagara Falls

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Larrys#1

Lorna Gray puts on a fabulous performance here. It's hard to believe that she was the same actress who played Mattie Herring in YOU NAZTY SPY. I did not know that until I checked the filmography just now.

The stooges start off with a great scene where they fix the switchboard. It's interesting how Curly had to IMPLY that his wife was pregnant, but never explicitly says it. I guess this is something they couldn't say because it implies sex?? I know they were careful about stuff like that back then.

The dinner scene was very good and so was the creampuff fight at the end. Though I always wondered what that wrapped food was.

10/10

Offline metaldams

The stooges start off with a great scene where they fix the switchboard. It's interesting how Curly had to IMPLY that his wife was pregnant, but never explicitly says it. I guess this is something they couldn't say because it implies sex?? I know they were careful about stuff like that back then.

My Dad is the oldest of six children, born in the very early 1950's (my grandparents were Catholics with no rhythm).  He has no memories of my grandmother not being pregnant until he was 11, and her pregnant condition was always considered, "that way."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Lorna Gray puts on a fabulous performance here. It's hard to believe that she was the same actress who played Mattie Herring in YOU NAZTY SPY. I did not know that until I checked the filmography just now.

One of the few surviving actors from the Curly era!  Here's a snapshot of her from Spring 2011, when she last appeared at the annual Three Stooges Meeting in Fort Washington, PA.

The wrapped food were tamales.  I didn't figure that out either until I moved out of New England.

Offline Larrys#1

My Dad is the oldest of six children, born in the very early 1950's (my grandparents were Catholics with no rhythm).  He has no memories of my grandmother not being pregnant until he was 11, and her pregnant condition was always considered, "that way."

I didn't even read your review until now. I had no idea that you brought up the exact same thing.  :laugh:

Offline VaudevilleFan

The dinner scene was very good and so was the creampuff fight at the end. Though I always wondered what that wrapped food was.

10/10

I never realized he was implying his wife was pregnant.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
The filmography says Gloria Blondell, but I've doubted this ever since her recent addition to Dave Lord Heath's "HALL OF FAME" at Another Nice Mess.

http://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/4075
http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_334_Gloria-Blondell

Now that I think about it more, I'm 100% sure she (and as such, the girl in Andy Clyde's HOME ON THE RAGE) is actually Robin Raymond (CALLING ALL CURS)?

http://threestooges.net/cast/actor/305
http://forgottenactors.blogspot.com/2013/09/robin-raymond.html
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I know I'm more than a bit late to the party with this reply, but I just recently got the "Boris Karloff: Icons of Horror" collection & you're right about The Man They Could Not Hang--it almost felt like a stooge co-star reunion party. Not only all the names you mentioned, but--unless my eyes deceived me--I think I spotted Joe Palma as a cab driver as well.

And on a further unrelated note, I enjoyed the hell out of Karloff and Peter Lorre in The Boogie Man Will Get You....  :D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"The men you want are Doctors Ziller, Zeller and Zoller."

One of the best Stooge two-reelers directed by Jules White. "Three Sappy People" is a well-oiled slapstick machine with a terrific supporting cast (kudos to Lorna Gray, Don Beddoe and Ann Doran), classy production values and some hilarious set pieces.  A rare short in which the Stooges do not appear in the final shot.

9/10

Offline metaldams

"The men you want are Doctors Ziller, Zeller and Zoller."

One of the best Stooge two-reelers directed by Jules White. "Three Sappy People" is a well-oiled slapstick machine with a terrific supporting cast (kudos to Lorna Gray, Don Beddoe and Ann Doran), classy production values and some hilarious set pieces.  A rare short in which the Stooges do not appear in the final shot.

9/10

Good point about the final shot.  PUNCHY COWPUNCHERS is the only other one that instantly comes to mind, but there may be others I’m forgetting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The other shorts that come to mind are "Half Shot Shooters," "False Alarms," "Mutts to You" and "You Nazty Spy!"

Offline metaldams

The other shorts that come to mind are "Half Shot Shooters," "False Alarms," "Mutts to You" and "You Nazty Spy!"

You’re right, but I think what was left of them was in the last shot of HALF SHOT SHOOTERS - it just wasn’t much.
- Doug Sarnecky