Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Plumbing We Will Go (1940)

metaldams · 48 · 17767

Offline metaldams

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/46
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032917/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Well folks, unless A PLUMBING WE WILL GO happens to be your favorite short, I'm going to overrate this one, because according to me, myself, and I, this is the best thing the boys have ever done.  By extension, it is arguably my favorite movie of all-time.  First I will get into personal reasons, then I will speak artistically.

Personally, I watched The Three Stooges a lot as a child, lost track in my teen aged years, and came back for good in my twenties.  During those teen years, on the rare occasion I would think of the boys, I would always look back fondly on the one in which they were plumbers.  Going back to this short years later, it is one of the few things in life where it is as good as I remember it.

What's so great about this short, I can hear the Shemp Diesel's, Shemps1's, and anybody else with Shemp in their name, ask?  Well, several things.  First and foremost, it is the greatest Curly Howard performance of all-time.  He must've thought so too, because rumor at all the local middle schools state this is his favorite Stooge short as well.  Check out all of his reactions and body mannerisms when he enters that bath tub and has the water hit him in the face.  Then he sits down to ponder what to do next.  It is brilliant comic acting, and a wonderful example of how true pantomime works.

Then there is the pure film making aspect.  Once the boys enter the house, there is an editing montage that goes on for several minutes that is pure genius.  You go from Moe in the basement fixing the pipe to Dudley Dickerson gloriously hamming it up with reactions to Larry digging himself in a hole to Curly trapping himself in a maze of pipes going seamlessly into each other, all telling a perfect comic story.

I also want to mention the television gag, which is hysterical and placed towards the end of the montage.  It is a great little period piece because it harkens back to a time where television was such a novel thing that only the wealthy could afford it and they also had to have set times when a natural event, like Niagara Falls, would be aired.  No such thing as 24 hour television and actual TV shows because not enough people owned televisions.

Finally, there's the storytelling.  In the beginning, the boys are in trouble with a judge, a cop, and Bilbo the Magician.  What happens in the end?  By pure circumstance, we find out they just destroyed the same judge's house, are getting chased by the same cop, and are once again ruining poor Bilbo's act.  The story has managed to come full circle.

A really funny and brilliant little comedy short.  To anybody who had a hand in creating this short, take a bow wherever you are.

10/10
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:55:02 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

A very funny short, but not one of my absolute favorites.  I like VAGABOND LOAFERS and SCHEMING SCHEMERS better.  In general my least favorite slapstick gag is probably (insert name of comedian) getting doused by water.  But this short is definitely a showcase for the brilliant comic talents of Jerome Howard, and there are more to come!
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Great episode.  I've seen people absolutely lose it over Dudley.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Before somebody says it, I will tell you that you are retarded to think that this was racism toward Dudly Dickerson.  The man is classic in this short, and he possibly could give Emil Sitka a run for his money at being the best non-stooge funny-man.

Curly is classic in this one.  It all starts with him throwing the man out of the shower.  His scenes in the bathroom perfectly exhibit his character's childish mannerisms.  He gets himself into a maze, so the only way to go is down.  Crashing down into Moe's neck, that is.   [3stooges]
Curly's solution?  Cover the hole with a rug, of course!

Moe is less impatient in this one and more self-righteous, believing he is a brilliant plumber and rerouting the water pipes into the electrical pipes!  Of course, this sets up the insanity of water coming out of the stove, light bulb, and clock.

Larry digging a hole... and magically showing up on the other side of the yard!

I have no sympathy for this rich snobs losing their TV set, although the irony of Niagara Falls is too much for me.

And how did those cops get their motorcycles to fit in that hole?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, since the subject was brought up I'll add in my 2 cents: Dudley Dickerson doesn't offend me in the slightest & neither does Sam McDaniel from Heavenly Daze or any other black actor that has appeared in a stooge short. The way I see it, the stooges are portraying 3 dumb (to put it mildly) Jewish Americans, yet no one is saying they have set back the cause of Jewish people, so I don't feel Dudley is setting back the African-American race.

Besides, I've seen worse black portrayals in old movies; the guy who plays Goobie in The Mummy's Curse is one that comes to mind, but I don't think anyone from the NAACP is picketing against that movie. Then again, I'm someone who doesn't have a problem with Amos & Andy either.

Just my musings on the subject & now back to our regularly scheduled praises of A Plumbing We Will Go....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

This short is in my top 5 favorites. Every thing clicks on this one. Once again the Stooges are in high society and the results are what you expect. I rate this one a 91/2.  Most of the time Dudley Dickerson was cast in stereotypical roles as a janitor or porter but here's a short where he gets a better role to play.

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Certain people just move funny.  Oliver Hardy, for example.  Dudley is one of them.

Offline Kopfy2013

This is a classic.  Curly was on top of his game. Trying to snap his fingers at the cop.  Smacking the cop dummy. His lines seemed right on cue. Facial expressions great.

Great physical humor. Fantastic timing.

"we had to forget something or we wouldn't be plumbers"

Dell Lord directed after Jules White directed the last few. You can tell the difference. Both had their classics and both had their average shorts. I will give it a 10.

I will say though watching it today I was uncomfortable. I had some stress as they were ruining the house.  I loved this short when I was young.  In my old age I see things differently..... Don't wreck the house!
Niagara Falls

Offline QuinceHead

"Dis house has SHO' gone CRAZY!!!"

;D

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Larrys#1

I always enjoy watching episodes like this where you see the stooges trying to do a job that requires special skills. You know that always leads to disaster. In this case, the stooges trying to fix a leak = disaster. And that's what makes episodes like this so great. This is much better than VAGABOND LOAFERS mainly because Curly gives a much better performance. Curly is at his prime during this year. He's so full of life and energy. Unfortunately, that all goes downhill as we approach the mid 1940s but I'll save my comments when we get to the episodes of that period.

Dudley Dickerson also adds a lot of hilarity here. The kitchen scene is among the funniest I've ever seen in a stooge episode. It's just hilarious how he keeps slipping and falling on the wet floor.

This is a great example of a perfect stooge episode. There's nothing to improve upon. It's enjoyable and funny from beginning to end.

10/10

Offline metaldams

Just my musings on the subject & now back to our regularly scheduled praises of A Plumbing We Will Go....

I actually would be interested in reading some counterpoint opinion from you on this short. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I actually would be interested in reading some counterpoint opinion from you on this short.

I will watch the short again in a few minutes then offer up my own opinion on it.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A Plumbing We Will Go: I like the opening section with the boys in court brought up on charges of chicken stealing, although my mind usually flashes to Vernon Dent from Listen, Judge whenever I watch that whole scene. Still, "Plumbing" has its own nice moments in the courtroom (dandruff and Curly trying to snap his fingers)...

It's not long after that where we get to the meat of the short; the stooges as plumbers. A sure-fire recipe for disaster. Some of my favorite bits from this were when in the basement Moe apparently slips on a puddle of water & gets up like nothing happened; also liked Larry's straight-jacket (you swing on 'em)...

Curly's misadventures in the bathroom trying to shut off the water are fun, although if I had to be totally honest, the "maze of pipes" gag never had me rolling on the floor the way it seems to get other viewers, not with Curly or Shemp. But I did get a nice laugh from Curly's solution to the problem; drilling holes into the floor until he completely fell through then covering up the giant hole with a rug.

Overall, I have to say I still find this to be one of the more overrated stooge shorts, but I can definitely see why it has such lofty positioning in most stooge fan's eyes.

7.5 out of 10....

Offline metaldams

Bump...because if there ever was a short that deserves more discussion....just sayin'.

Little lobby card added today.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Bump...because if there ever was a short that deserves more discussion....just sayin'.

Sure!  A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is really a lot of fun as a Three Stooges short.  There is a whirlwind of events that seems to engulf all.  There are five themes: Moe, Larry, Curly, Dudley, and the guests.

Moe being used as an instrument of torture is quite common.  However, who would think that it's a good idea to attach the plumbing to the electrical?  I don't know, but Moe did it.  And he was proud of it too.

Curly has been beaten to death on this topic.  He somehow achieved a level between childish and dumb.  I enjoy his actions, his statements, and all the works that make this come full circle.

Larry is great in the backyard shoveling holes and tormenting Moe.  His facial expressions are genuine and showcase just how one can harm that gorgeous head of hair.

Dudley is great, as always.  Dudley, much like the Stooges, always leaves comedic destruction in his wake.

There, happy metaldams?  [pie] :police:
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Me and my friend, and my friend's kids were all watching this short a few weeks ago. Me and my friend weren't laughing very much, as we had seen it SOOO much times together when we were kids, but the kids were howling with laughter! They absolutely loved seeing the movie!!!! Espicially, Curly with the maze of pipes!
 Well, anyways, my opinion? Well, I do think it is an overrated movie.. but not that overrated. The reasons I think this is because the first part where they're running away from the cops ( don't get me wrong, I love it) except it feels like a lousy beginning compared to the more up-beat scenes where they plumb with more slapstick in this short.
 The best part, in my opinion, is definitely Curly. He's just too good in here! I love his scene where he gets trapped in a maze of pipes. I like how in the montage, Curly only has a couple pipes to fix. Then, when we come back to Curly, he's stuck!
 I absolutely love the parts with Dudley Dickerson, as they are hilarious! BTW, I don't know what everybody's talking about when they say these scenes are racial, as you could just go ahead and say the scenes with Farina, Stymie, and Buckwheat from The Little Rascals are racist!!
 However, in my concluding thoughts, I definitely like this one, except Vagabond Loafers and Scheming Schemers are better, and we will get to Vagabond Loafers soon, and why, you ask? Because of one word: SHEMP! Well, we're not on him yet.. So, I'll see you soon when we will discuss the Shemp shorts and last Curly shorts, and Duck Soup in the Laurel and Hardy world!

I rate this movie a 9.5.

Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline metaldams

However, in my concluding thoughts, I definitely like this one, except Vagabond Loafers and Scheming Schemers are better, and we will get to Vagabond Loafers soon, and why, you ask? Because of one word: SHEMP!

Look, I love Shemp and I think he does a fine job in VAGABOND LOAFERS on his own merit.  However, to my mind, A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is a signature role for Curly.  It's to me the equivalent of saying I'd rather see Curly in BRIDELESS GROOM than Shemp.  Some Stooges are just meant for certain roles.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Look, I love Shemp and I think he does a fine job in VAGABOND LOAFERS on his own merit.  However, to my mind, A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is a signature role for Curly.  It's to me the equivalent of saying I'd rather see Curly in BRIDELESS GROOM than Shemp.  Some Stooges are just meant for certain roles.

Honestly.... I think comparing A PLUMBING WE WILL GO and VAGABOND LOAFERS is what helped me confirm that I prefer Curly over Shemp. Curly just has so much more energy and life in his performance than Shemp does. Just seeing the way they both act in the bathroom scene. Shemp is too lax in his performance, while Curly shows more excitement. Shemp fans may like the lax performance that Shemp gives, but to me, I will always appreciate Curly for the energy he brings on screen. I have to agree with you. This episode probably contains the most energetic performance from Curly.

TiskaTaskaBaska

"Don't try to tell me how to run my business. Beat it!"

Curly's scene with the cop dummy; throwaway and a gimme perhaps; the blank half-script page they'd give Curly just to go off...it is perfection; watch the movements; the noises he makes; even Bud is perfect when he comes in...

What is Professor Bilbo selling? Did he get so many onlookers because of the lame magic or the cute girl? She is one of the few Stooges short women whose look; hair, face, makeup; would totally fit in today. I love her curly brown hair (having curly brown hair myself). And Monte Collins is always awesome; really, he is the only person fit to play the Stooges' mother. Once we get to the house, though, there is so much awesome little business type things that this just about has to rank as perfection. "Three of the best plumbers that ever plumbed a plum!" Moe's fall when they first run down the basement; Moe saying "You; I'll....." really quietly to Larry before Curly says, "A simple job for simple people". And when Larry has the corset, grabs the little straps and says, "You swing on 'em, you know..." and Moe says, "Don't you....." before getting interrupted. Apparently Larry narrowly escaped two epic smacks from Moe. Curly setting Moe's ass on fire. I also really, really love Bess Flowers' dress. Apparently she was a "dress extra" and used to wear her own clothes in the shorts. She had great taste; I would totally wear today what she wore 80 years ago. And lastly, the porch where the butler is saying, "Officer; officer!" has got to be the ugliest porch on the planet. It's dark; the windows are ugly; just gross. You can't tell me they couldn't do better than that in California! I know it was one of the Columbia set houses; Wolf House or the other one they used all the time. But this porch is nasty.

Anyway, thank you for letting me participate in your boys' club with my meandering reviews about random stuff in Stooges shorts. This is what happens when you let girls in.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Tiska, let me just say I enjoy your perspective on the shorts & the little things you seem to notice that would otherwise go unnoticed by myself. It gives me something to look forward to upon rewatching these shorts. 

:D

Filling in the gaps as best I can from the banner in front of the stage, I believe Prof Bilbo is selling One Shot Hair Tonic.

TiskaTaskaBaska

I totally glossed over Dudley D and didn't mean to. I know his roles were stereotypical and exaggerated; let's move on from that. It must have taken a lot of nerve for a black man in the 30s to go to a studio to get acting work. Granted there was probably plenty of work to be had; they always needed butlers and maids and the usual stereotypical black roles, but as we know from the studio system -- I mean, look how bad they screwed the Stooges -- just imagine what Dudley's contract looked like. But it seems like he worked constantly! Now, that's a driven man looking for and making a paycheck in the Depression. And my god, he was awesome. I don't want to call him the Black Stooge, but if you needed a black character actor in a Stooges short, it had to be Dudley. Pain in the Pullman would have been marginally better if the porter had been Dudley; even though the short was already great, he should have been in that role; probably was unavailable. His scene in the kitchen in "Plumbing" is pure gold; just perfect. I'm sure his behind hurt later. But Dudley played stereotypical roles with great comedy, timing, perfect actions and reactions and great humor. I look forward to every scene of his.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Or a direct comparison: A MISSED FORTUNE is better than HEALTHY, WEALTHY, AND DUMB.

Oh, my goodness, is Claire James really that much of a dish!  I mean...!!!!!  [wheelchair] [naughtywag]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

As for me I've thought this was a great episode but I don't rank it a classic like some people do, Curly gives out one of his best performances of his career, unfortunately Moe & Larry weren't given a whole lot to do in this episode and there weren't enough scenes where two or three of the stooges were together, Moe also seems calm and hardly dishes out any punishment, there are however three scenes that rank up there with their best work such as Curly's maze of pipes, Curly ruining the pipe and landing on the ground and the stooges realizing it was the judge who previously tried to convict them at the beginning of the short, while I consider it to be a great short there are several other shorts from 1940 I prefer such as "You Nazty Spy!", "How High Is Up", "No Census, No Feeling" and "Boobs In Arms", I give "Plumbing" a 9/10

I'm glad Edward Bernds gave Moe & Larry more to do in the remake "Vagabond Loafers"

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Don’t mind me, I’m only the plumber. Woo-woo-woo-woo!"

Another shining example of why Del Lord remains my favorite Stooge director.  "A Plumbing We Will Go" has everything you could want from Moe, Larry and Curly — abetted by the Columbia two-reel factory at its slapstick apex. Perhaps Dudley Dickerson's finest moment on celluloid. When it comes to the "Vagabond Loafers" remake, you simply cannot improve upon perfection.

10/10