Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

So Long Mr. Chumps (1941)

metaldams · 20 · 11333

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/53
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034209/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

We're into 1941 now with what turns out to be another great year for the boys.  You can argue they'll never have another year this good again unless if you want to count a prime Shemp year or two.  Certainly '42 - '46 aren't this good.

SO LONG MR. CHUMPS is another classic entry.  It's one of those shorts that I always like to some level but forget how good it is until I actually see it.  The opening scene is great and shows Curly in his prime.  He's very childlike and energetic in his mannerisms and movements here, and it's wonderful the way he gets shoved into the sprinkler system and decides to take a bath.  He knows how to make the best out of a bad situation and does so with glee.  A comic genius at his best.

I also love it when the boys leave B.O. Davis's office and come out in those fancy coats and top hats.  I guess we know how they spent the money they took from Mr. Davis.  The part where Curly takes out a cigar, has Moe smash it only for Curly to take out progressively bigger cigars had always been a favorite of mine.  A nice variation on the pencil gag from MOVIE MANIACS.

Another great bit is the ending, a nice way to break the fourth wall.  Basically, they're admitting they're smashing breakaway prop rocks on Curly's head, only to have Curly stop them when they admit a real rock is about to be used.  A nice gag, and very unusual as there are very few times where the boys admit they are in a movie, (there is Shemp's immortal line in GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE which we'll get to much later on).

Also, check out the dog pointing his tail to direct the boys to Dorothy Appleby.  Another animal trick that's a sure sign of a Jules White short.

9/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:29:25 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just skimming through the filmography, I would say 1942 and 43 were very good years by the stooges. There were a few shorts from '43 I'm not wild about but overall I think 42-43 were very strong years, but not as great as 1941 which features a string of all time classics which I would say starts later on.

As for Chumps, it's another very good short, but what else would you expect from the stooges in the early 40s. "We just held up the First National Bank and shot 2 guards."

Also like when Moe tries "see that" on Curly & hurts his own hand (You and that ironhead of yours).

8 out of 10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Kopfy2013

I still don't know how Moe got underneath that paper !!  :police:

I love Curly thanking Moe for getting rid of the hornet ... of course he had to nail him in the head to do it .... I love the crying ...

Good solid short .... A deleted scene had them buying the clothes from the upfront money they got from the broker ... that would have been good to see ...

Looks like Curly is having fun in the sprinklers .. Moe and Larry also ....  this seems like a short where everyone is in a good mood and they just were going ... Curly talking to the fans at the end - "that's a real rock'

I give it an 8.
Niagara Falls

The odd name of the stick-up guy, Gyp the People, is a takeoff of the name of a contemporary real-life criminal nicknamed Gyp the Blood, whose name, come to look at it, is no less odd than Gyp The People.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

One thing I remember about this short, after Curly explains it wasn't his fault Gyp the People got away & he fires the gun, you can see Curly silently mouthing something, like he was counting or something before he yelps in pain.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short, much like NUTTY BUT NICE, is another story based on the Stooges trying to do a good deed.  This one, however, is much funnier and has a comedic feel to it.  A simple comedy of errors is what this one is. 

Not a classic, but definitely one of their best.  This is one of the few shorts where the actors are ALL at their best.  And it is one of the few where the actors seem to enjoy making it. 

The Stooges are always at their best in the great outdoors.  For whatever reason, fresh air makes Curly act more childish, and Moe gets more bipolar: nicer when he's nice, but meaner when he's mean.

The Stooges aren't really... stooges in this one; they're more like ordinary idiots with soft hearts.

Sadly, most of these scenes get butchered in BEER BARREL POLECATS.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline JazzBill

I have to put this short in my above average list. It has some nice location shots in the beginning and the boys are in top form. I liked the scenes with the boys in their fur collared coats trying to find an honest man. For some reason I found the head bobbing cigar scene between Moe and Curly very funny. I did learn something while researching the short for my review. I always thought the rock breaking scene over Curlys head was ad libbed but according to the Filmography thread here at .net it was written in the script. I still like the short a lot and I rate it  8 1/2.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

It does look like an ad lib.  Larry's smiling broadly and seemingly out of character, and if I'm not mistaken there might also be muffled laughter on the sound track.  But the research supports my ongoing , boring opinion that there was really very little ad libbing allowed.  My guess would be that this particular take somehow tickled the crew's funnybone more than anyone expected, so even though it was not technically perfect, it was so much fun that they left it in.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I always thought the rock breaking scene over Curlys head was ad libbed but according to the Filmography thread here at .net it was written in the script.

Correct.  That discovery was made in Jules' final continuity script, dated 7/18/40 (CHUMPS filmed 7/25/40-7/30/40)... including stage direction for Moe and Larry to smile at Curly's comment, "as we Fade Out."

Offline metaldams

The Stooges are always at their best in the great outdoors.  For whatever reason, fresh air makes Curly act more childish, and Moe gets more bipolar: nicer when he's nice, but meaner when he's mean.

I agree about the outdoors observation.  The era of shorts we are currently reviewing has tons of these great outdoor street scenes.  As the budgets were cut back, so were the outdoor scenes.  There's an outdoor street chase scene in 1951's THE TOOTH WILL OUT that is so uncommon for that Shemp era that it really stands out for me.  In these early 40's shorts, street scenes and crowds are just another day at work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just skimming through the filmography, I would say 1942 and 43 were very good years by the stooges. There were a few shorts from '43 I'm not wild about but overall I think 42-43 were very strong years, but not as great as 1941 which features a string of all time classics which I would say starts later on.

'42 and '43 are indeed good years overall, but let's just say both years have a short or two I'm not too crazy about.  We're still in what I consider to be the peak now, but I'll let you know when the slight dip in quality comes.  This late '39 - '41 run is pretty hardto beat.  The worst shorts of this time are still good and the best all-time classics, and '41 has my second favorite short, which I can't wait to write about and read what others have to say about it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stoogerascalfan62

It's too bad Bud Jamison had scenes that were deleted from the final release print. He's my #1 Stooge supporting player.

Offline Allen Champion

This is a good short that continues the Stooges winning streak, but it's not one of my favorites.  I love watching Curly as street cleaner.  He is at his comic peak in these scenes, and will be for many shorts to come.
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

The plot line in this short strikes me as though it got snipped and reconnected in a different order at a late stage. If B. O. Davis is really Lone Wolf Louie, "the biggest bond swindler in America," why on earth would he send the Stooges on a mission to find an honest man, and even let them take a wad of cash for the purpose? Why would he be so clumsy as to drop his bonds in a park? If they are stolen or counterfeit bonds, why would he write his name on them? If Percy Pomeroy really is an honest man, why does Eddie Laughton play him with the air of a sneaky, thieving low-life? What honest man would unhesitatingly accept a plot to break out of prison? The whole set-up with Pomeroy makes no sense. As a plot line, it leads nowhere: once the Stooges have painted their way out of the interior of the jail, Pomeroy simply disappears.

I suspect that the script was originally written with Pomeroy turning out to be the crook and then for some reason, perhaps to fit the short into a time limit, was changed--perhaps even changed after much of the short, including the scenes with Pomeroy, had already been shot. This seems to me to make sense of the oddities that I have listed.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Question to mull over: is Bert Young the fella with the groceries the Stooges knock over when following the dog to Dorothy Appleby? It's a bit far away to accurately tell, but I figured it was a possibility he donned a false 'stache and glasses for the role (which would be his first of two here).

Also, Lynton Brent: is that him with the sandwich? If that's what you mean by "prison guard who eats paint"; I know he's the guard who gets his face painted, but is the sandwich fella him or an unidentified feller? Dunno if it's supposed to be the same guy, but it doesn't look like Brent to me as the sandwich guard.

Plus: for some reason, I love Curly's "He's come to visit us!" when Davis arrives at the jail.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Also, Lynton Brent: is that him with the sandwich? If that's what you mean by "prison guard who eats paint"; I know he's the guard who gets his face painted, but is the sandwich fella him or an unidentified feller? Dunno if it's supposed to be the same guy, but it doesn't look like Brent to me as the sandwich guard.

Agreed. I don't see how that guy can possibly be Lynton Brent. Screen shot attached.

Doctor, I might suggest that B.O. Davis's actions might be construed as the initial steps in a giant swindle wherein he loses those bonds on purpose to hook a sucker or three, and he then gives them some ready cash to sink his hook deeper because the money he plans to make dwarfs the amount he gave to the stooges, who are going to be his patsys, are going to take the fall for him.  This is of course just a wild stab, but many big-time scams do start this way, or used to pre-internet.
     The reason Pomeroy acts sneaky is because the very first thing the stooges say to him is that they're going to break him out.  You and I would probably get real clandestine real fast as well.

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Great short I always feel that gets overlooked and a great way to start off the 1941 stooge shorts, I consider 1941 to be the best year of the stooge shorts where every short ranges from very good to a classic, I consider 1942-43 to be very good years for the stooge shorts as well, I even consider 1945 to be a good year for stooge shorts (every stooge short from that year ranges from good to great) despite the start of Curly's declining health.

I always liked seeing the Stooges in the outdoor shots

The ending where the stooges break out of character was hilarious and fun to watch, I give this short a 9/10.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A Stooge classic and one of Jules White's finest directorial efforts, with an inventive Clyde Bruckman-Felix Adler screenplay to match.  The interaction between Curly and Moe is nothing short of sublime — while the rock pile "ad lib" remains among the great Stooge endings.  Definitely in my Top 20.

9.5/10