Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Some More of Samoa (1941)

metaldams · 31 · 15300

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/59
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034216/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

OK, first off, the guy who plays Mr. Winthrop in this short is listed as unidentified.  The guy is way too funny and distinct just to be some anonymous schmuck.  My gut tells me that's Lucien Littlefield, and if it's not, there's a striking resemblance.  Brent, do you have an opinion or a definitive yes or no on this one?  Anybody else care to chime in?  Anyway, the guy puts in a hysterical performance.

http://www.lordheath.com/web_images/lucien_littlefield___dirty_work_colour.jpg

I've always thought of this as just an average short, but upon my most recent viewing, I've come to realize what a unique little film this is.  Tree surgeons? That's quite unique. A very attractive Mary Ainslee, with her kind of/sort of British accent, parading around in a nursing outfit with roller skates?  I'll take one of those for when I'm in the nursing home.  She's nice to look at and just bizarre enough to keep my 85 year old self entertained.  An Aborigine like tribe who are run by a big hillbilly looking white dude and his homely sister?What were Harry Edwards and Elwood Ullman smoking when they wrote this, and can I have some?  I mean, she-it, they even found an excuse to give Moe and Larry an excuse to do an Amos and Andy, worth the price of admission by itself.

I love the idea that a tree needs a mate in order to grow fruit so they have to go on some obscure little island to find said mate.  Curly's battle with the many armed thing a ma bob is classic and a similar thing would be done with Shemp years later in HULA-LA-LA.  I also love the little dance the boys do just before they cut to the scene where they go the island, and Mr. Winthrop's little old man dancing routine along with them is a hoot to watch.  The limb sawing scene is also wonderfully bizarre, as is Symona fainting, and I have to say I love this short much more now than I did before.  A pleasant surprise.

9/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:38:51 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The string of perfect shorts we had going gets snapped--not to say "Samoa" is bad, but I still think the short loses a lot of steam once the short transitions to the island action.

But before the stooges get to the island, there are a lot of funny bits: making big trees out of little saps (don't look at me), Curly's instant growth, the cranky old man with the tree, cutting off a limb and as Metal mentioned the "Boogie-woogie-woogie" dance the boys do.

And on the island, there are some gems like Larry's line about his toes being in the end of his shoes.

Overall, while it doesn't quite reach the lofty levels of the three shorts that came before it, "Samoa" is still an entertaining treat.

8 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

First of all, it's "Samoa," not "Somoa."  I don't think the large contingent of Samoan WWE "Superstars" would like their ancestral place "mispeld."   ;D

Speaking of wrestlers, the king always reminds me of the late Stan Frazier, a/k/a Hillbilly Jim's "Uncle Elmer" in the then-WWF in the mid-1980s.

And which Samoa is it?  American Samoa, a U.S. possession where it now early Saturday morning, or Western Samoa, not one of our islands, where it is now early Sunday morning because they wanted to be with their friends in Fiji and Tonga?  As George Costanza would say, "Details!"

Like everyone else, I would like to know who played Mr. "I Can't Find My Dentures" Winthrop.  He did a great job in the show, especially pounding the cane.  I'm sure Nurse Mary would have loved to have pounded him with it.

My favorite part of the short is where Curly gets stabbed with his PDQ invention, making him very tall.  "Well, beat me Daddy, down to the floor!"  I told my wife that the actual song line was "Beat me Daddy, eight to the bar."  She keeps saying it as "Beat me Daddy, down to the nines!"

Offline metaldams

First of all, it's "Samoa," not "Somoa."  I don't think the large contingent of Samoan WWE "Superstars" would like their ancestral place "mispeld."   ;D

Speaking of wrestlers, the king always reminds me of the late Stan Frazier, a/k/a Hillbilly Jim's "Uncle Elmer" in the then-WWF in the mid-1980s.

And which Samoa is it?  American Samoa, a U.S. possession where it now early Saturday morning, or Western Samoa, not one of our islands, where it is now early Sunday morning because they wanted to be with their friends in Fiji and Tonga?  As George Costanza would say, "Details!"

Like everyone else, I would like to know who played Mr. "I Can't Find My Dentures" Winthrop.  He did a great job in the show, especially pounding the cane.  I'm sure Nurse Mary would have loved to have pounded him with it.

My favorite part of the short is where Curly gets stabbed with his PDQ invention, making him very tall.  "Well, beat me Daddy, down to the floor!"  I told my wife that the actual song line was "Beat me Daddy, eight to the bar."  She keeps saying it as "Beat me Daddy, down to the nines!"

Spelling noted and fixed.  Thank you.  Yokozuna need no longer to roll over in his grave.  Nor does Nurse Mary, may she rest in peace.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post & something that has always bugged me--just what exactly does the King say after he finds Curly's loaded dice? I think it's "You cheat" then some unrecognizable word, not natural?   

???

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post & something that has always bugged me--just what exactly does the King say after he finds Curly's loaded dice? I think it's "You cheat" then some unrecognizable word, not natural?   

???

I rewatched that part for you, and I can't figure it out either.  Sorry.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

???

"You cheat! Ever time, natural!"

Curly used loaded dice that guaranteed he'd win first roll. In craps, if you roll and get 7 or 11 on the first throw, the shooter wins. That's called a natural.

Further, the numbers that end up on his face from the crushed dice are 5 and 2. He must have rolled a seven every time. That would look suspicious, wouldn't it?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
the guy who plays Mr. Winthrop in this short is listed as unidentified.  The guy is way too funny and distinct just to be some anonymous schmuck.  My gut tells me that's Lucien Littlefield, and if it's not, there's a striking resemblance. 

The actor behind 'Winthrop' (and 'Scroggins' in LOCO BOY) is a years-long mystery.  Even Jules White's files at the Herrick Library have not shed light.  Hopes for an original sniped production photo, an Asst. Dir.'s call sheet, lucky siting/break continue.

Lucien Littlefield was ruled out long ago.  (If you're thinking of DIRTY WORK, note that Lucien was a heavily made-up 38-year-old for that.  Attached is a look at "normal" 56-year-old Lucien, from a 1951 SUPERMAN episode.)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

"You cheat! Ever time, natural!"

Curly used loaded dice that guaranteed he'd win first roll. In craps, if you roll and get 7 or 11 on the first throw, the shooter wins. That's called a natural.

Further, the numbers that end up on his face from the crushed dice are 5 and 2. He must have rolled a seven every time. That would look suspicious, wouldn't it?

Thanks thump, mystery solved....

:D

Offline metaldams

The actor behind 'Winthrop' (and 'Scroggins' in LOCO BOY) is a years-long mystery.  Even Jules White's files at the Herrick Library have not shed light.  Hopes for an original sniped production photo, an Asst. Dir.'s call sheet, lucky siting/break continue.

Lucien Littlefield was ruled out long ago.  (If you're thinking of DIRTY WORK, note that Lucien was a heavily made-up 38-year-old for that.  Attached is a look at "normal" 56-year-old Lucien, from a 1951 SUPERMAN episode.)

Yes, you're right, I was thinking DIRTY WORK, where the resemblance is definitely there.  Considering the make up job in said film, the fact you showed me a picture of Lucien where there is definitely no resemblance, and I cannot find any record of Lucien Littlefield credited in a Columbia comedy short, I'm going to say you're probably correct.  Thanks for the answer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This one is just a classic.  We have the boys as tree surgeons, and dumb ones at that.  We see a watch broken, Larry singing in a stethoscope, and Curly getting his vitamin shot, PDQ... right in the rear!  The boys are sharp in this one, and typical mayhem ensues.  I love the alligator bits, which are truly unique scenes in Stooge-dom.  The Chief's sister bit is a tad strange, but executed perfectly.

10 pokes to Mary Ainslee and Symona Boniface however, who both excel at what is probably both actresses greatest individual performances in a Stooge short.

Lastly, the Amos and Andy bit is mentioned by Metaldams, which I agree is worth the admission price.

I changed my mind, 10 pokes, not 9.

Any questions or wondering what my opinion is of any part of this?  Just ask.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

10 pokes to Mary Ainslee and Symona Boniface however, who both excel at what is probably both actresses greatest individual performances in a Stooge short.

I've always been fascinated by Mary Ainslee.  She was, like I said, quite attractive, especially in the three shorts she appeared in during the early forties.  Those three shorts were shot within a month of each other.  She then disappears for years, shows up again in HOKUS POKUS, which was shot seven years after SOME MORE OF SOMOA, and then appears again in HE COOKED HIS GOOSE, which was shot about four years after HOKUS POKUS. 

Take a look at her overall credits on imdb.  The only two films she was credited for after 1942 were the two Shemp shorts she appeared in.  Makes me wonder if she knew somebody at Columbia, because she didn't do much else work.

As for Symona, the fascinating thing about watching these shorts in order is the frequency you start to see her appear in the early forties.  She is no doubt the Margaret Dumont of The Three Stooges, but with all due respect to Ms. Dumont, who I love, I think I might like Symona even better.  Just a slight bit more diversity on Symona's part.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

The string of perfect shorts we had going gets snapped--not to say "Samoa" is bad, but I still think the short loses a lot of steam once the short transitions to the island action.

But before the stooges get to the island, there are a lot of funny bits: making big trees out of little saps (don't look at me), Curly's instant growth, the cranky old man with the tree, cutting off a limb and as Metal mentioned the "Boogie-woogie-woogie" dance the boys do.

And on the island, there are some gems like Larry's line about his toes being in the end of his shoes.

Overall, while it doesn't quite reach the lofty levels of the three shorts that came before it, "Samoa" is still an entertaining treat.

8 out of 10....

I agree with Diesel almost verbatim ...

Good to know there's a mystery with Wynthrop. Hopefully this can be solved.

I like the rehashes of "Cotton Cotton" also "Dr. Howard Dr. Fine Dr. Howard", " hello hello hello" .

Also "there's large monkeys in these parts"
Niagara Falls

Offline JazzBill

I like this short, it has a ton of good sight gags in it. The short switches gears a couple of times but moves along pretty smoothly. The alligator bit is pretty funny. It looks like they used a real gator and a prop to do the scene. I rate it a 9.   
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

When Moe and Larry imitate Amos n' Andy, they get the voices backwards.  Andy was the one with the deep voice.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I just had to leave a comment here even though this thread is well over a year old.  What brought this to mind was the radio.  I was listening to it today when I heard The Andrews Sisters singing their 1940 song, "Rhumboogie."  Naturally this short leapt to mind.   :)

An aside:  the title of this short seems to have been taken from a Hawaiian-style big band song, "I'd Like To See Some More of Samoa," though I'm unsure when that was first recorded.

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
Okay; I love this one. This is one of my most favorite discs in the collection. Some favorite moments; I love how they all wash out of the same bowls; yeah, that's really sanitary. I love however they achieved Curly's legs growing longer; pretty sophisticated stuff for the time. I love them taking the wall phone with them "in case we get a call while we're gone"; lost on the iphone kids of today. I love "But Doctor; you can't operate hee-yuh"; what the hell accent is that? I love the bubbling water when Moe's hands are hot / tired from rowing. I love Dudley's star turn...."Pork chop....soup bone." And I LOVE the bit with the alligator. "Hurry up; this belt is slipping!"

One question; what does the Chief say about the dice, "_______ are unnatural"?

I also do want to add that shorts are not a good look on our boys. That's all I've got. I know I'm a year late but I'm catching up.

You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

One question; what does the Chief say about the dice, "_______ are unnatural"?

"You cheat, ever time natural."

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
"You cheat, ever time natural."

Thank you!!
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Too, too cool, his one and only stooge appearance and he nailed it, got it right in their wheelhouse.  He joins Lew Kelley ( Spook Louder ) and Emory Parnell ( All The World's a Stooge ) in my Hall of Fame of Stooge One-Hit-Wonders.  The window sash slam is the great one, but then the rhythm step on his cane is the icing on the cake. Not to mention the great dialog and characterization with the stooges, as if he's been working with them for years.
     I have a Spike Jones video with a guy trying to play a tune on china cups, which shatter as soon as he touches them...I remember one of Spike's regulars doing that, who didn't look at all like Billy Reed. Is there a head shot anywhere, one in which he might be wearing hair and his teeth?  Can anyone tell me who found him where and how?  I'd love to know.  He's funny as hell.
     And, incidentally, a tree does need a mate.  A tree can't fertilize itself.  Bees figure in.  Tell me, please, that I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
     And, incidentally, a tree does need a mate.  A tree can't fertilize itself.  Bees figure in.  Tell me, please, that I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Metaldams didn't already know this :D

Too, too cool, his one and only stooge appearance and he nailed it, got it right in their wheelhouse.  He joins Lew Kelley ( Spook Louder ) and Emory Blaine ( All The World's a Stooge ) in my Hall of Fame of Stooge One-Hit-Wonders.

You mean Emory Parnell?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline hiramhorwitz

You mean Emory Parnell?
I remember seeing a piece on the Motion Picture Home during the Evening News in the seventies...and none other than Emory Parnell was interviewed.  Surprisingly, he looked and sounded pretty much the same as he did in All the World's a Stooge.

And Hi Mrs Morgan Morgan, I saw the post from you above and it reminded me to apologize if I insulted you in any way in my review of Spook Louder, or whatever film it was that inspired our disagreement.  I don't even remember the topic, but I do remember that you took a comment of mine personally, in a way I certainly did not mean.  I believe I was defending my stubbornness about the brilliance and hilarity of Spook Louder, an opinion disputed by many ( which I found out quickly enough ), and even if we disagree, it was certainly nothing personal or chauvinistic, as I have always found your comments valuable and unique, especially given your self-admitted female viewpoint.  Reading this old, revived post reminded me of your humor and perspicacity, please keep contributing, don't fade away.  I hope your cats, of which you must by now have sixty, are all in strapping, vigorous good health.  And I still say that Spook Louder is really, really funny.

@ Paul Pain and @ Hiram Horwitz:
     Yes, of course,  Emory Parnell, duly corrected, thank you, I picked a fine day to give up Moscow Mules.  Parnell had a fine career in movies and TV, he was still in reruns when I was a kid. He just kills in All The World's A Stooge.