Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Smart Saps (1942)

metaldams · 47 · 20476

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/64
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035436/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Definitely my favorite short of 1942.  Really a funny film all the way around with no weak moments.  Also one of Curly's finer shorts.  The energy he shows as he's singing and dancing while he's going up to the doorsteps of his fiancĂ© is contagious, and the dance scene is a classic.  I imagine the type of comic dancing Curly was doing with Barbara Slater may have been close to his stage act before being a Stooge, though I can't say for sure.  He's a joy to watch either way, and the loosely basted suit gag where Larry is trying to sew it together is another instance of the boys doing a Harold Lloyd gag, this time from THE FRESHMAN.

Speaking of Barbara Slater, her only other role in a Stooge short is in HALF-WITS HOLIDAY as Ms. Quackenbush, but she also appears in Charlie Chaplin's MONSIEUR VERDOUX (see picture below).  Like I said last week, I love taller women, and she's quite stunning in this short, so the fact half the time my eyes are on Curly's comedy dance number while she's seductively swaying is a testament to how fun Curly is to watch in this one.

I also stated last week's short was the first post Pearl Harbor short, but this short would be the first short where there is pro U.S. Military paraphernalia, though it's subtle.  Check out the scene where they are trying to break the window of unbreakable glass.  On the street behind them, you can clearly see an Uncle Sam recruitment poster.  Also, when Curly jumps through the glass less window and has the egg on his nose causing him to do a Jimmy Durante impersonation, you can see a War bond poster.  There's also a draft joke when Moe is dancing with his partner, so it's fascinating to see world events subtly, and later on, not so subtly, popping up in Stooge shorts.

More fun thought character wise about Curly in this one.  He and Larry and Moe are engaged and trying to save their finance's father.  Curly may be engaged, but that does not stop him from hitting on his tall dance partner.  While the gag may be similar to Harold Lloyd, character wise, Harold was always focused on one girl in his features and never strayed away.   Now on the other hand, I can picture a Marx Brother going after a girl or ten, or Stan and Ollie being entangled in a compromising position only to have a dishpan from a wife meeting their skulls.

9/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:45:48 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

This short is definitely a Top Ten for me.  I was majorly disappointed on my first day of college orientation (occidentation being in the western hemisphere?), because I did not get home in time to see it, as the Stooges were on back then from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.  I did get to see it on Black Friday, edited of course because it was always the third show.  At least I was always able to see the rhumba routine, my favorite part of the show.

The scene where they tried to break the unbreakable and empty windows was also great, and I always like the "Exhibit A, Exhibit B" with Moe conking Curly with the camera.

"... trying to save their finance's father."  Or they were trying to save their father's finances.  Actually, Moe pronounced it "Fee-Nancy's," whereas in a later short Larry pronounced it "FIE-an-sees."  Then again, "fiancee" and "fiance" are not all that easy to say.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Definitely the best short from 1942. The stooges efforts to try & get pinched are great, as is the exchange from Moe & Curly when Moe says "I hate you; Those are the sweetest words you ever said to me & you won't slap me; Who said I wouldn't!"

"A marble machine in jail; that's where they belong."

Curly's dance number is the biggest highlight of the short, as has been previously mentioned.

9/10
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Barbara Slater is a babe, all right, and unlike almost all of the rest of the females that the stooges encounter, she never gets roughed up, even accidentally  ( I don't think Miss Lulu takes a pie, does she, or am I remembering wrong? ), and in fact most of the time she seems to be actually enjoying the stooges company. 

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
10/10  This is one of the all-time greats.  This is Stoogery at its finest.  Curly does several impersonatings.  The boys fail at failing.  Larry gets bombed.  Moe is a clever abuser, beating on Curly, Larry, and "Billigen."

There are lots of hotties in this one, and the plot line is typical Stooge standards: completely unrealistic.

Now what is up with the shoes at the end?
#1 fire kibitzer

Good point, Paul Payne:  the stooges usually do drunkenness in a very hammy, amateurish way, though I attribute a lot of that to Jules White.  But Larry is good here.  He was the best actor of them all, anyway.

Offline JazzBill

Like the rest of you, I like this short a lot. The story (as far fetched as it is) moves along well and the boys are in top form. On a side note, there is a pennant on a wall that says Joliet. I live about 5 minutes from that prison. Some scenes from the Blues Brothers movie were shot there. All in all I consider this an above average short and rate it a 9.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Barbara Slater is a babe, all right, and unlike almost all of the rest of the females that the stooges encounter, she never gets roughed up, even accidentally  ( I don't think Miss Lulu takes a pie, does she, or am I remembering wrong? ), and in fact most of the time she seems to be actually enjoying the stooges company.

I don't remember Miss Lulu taking a pie in HALF-WITS HOLIDAY or in any of the other million shorts where that pie fight footage was later used, though I can be wrong.  You're right though, for the most part in this one, she does enjoy Curly's company once the dancing begins, and continues to do so until she accidentally strips him of his pants. 

By the way, I forgot to mention what a classic that "Venus De Milo" line is.
- Doug Sarnecky

I've been thinking about that some more, and I'm thinking that in Half-wits Holiday she may be the one who says " my dear senator..." and then takes a pie kind of on the side of her head , in her hair.  I'll wait until it comes around to be sure.  In any case, up 'til THAT point, which might be her very last stooge moment, she seems to enjoy their company.

And Paul Payne, throwing old shoes AND rice at the newlyweds used to be a tradition.  I know the rice symbolizes fertility, the old shoes, I don't know.  Domesticity, maybe?
     What is 'Billigen"?  Where does that occur?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
And Paul Payne, throwing old shoes AND rice at the newlyweds used to be a tradition.  I know the rice symbolizes fertility, the old shoes, I don't know.  Domesticity, maybe?
     What is 'Billigen"?  Where does that occur?

Sheesh!  That's painful. 

"Billigen" is what Moe calls the doorman when he asks the guy to "look at his watch" so they can knock him out and take his suit.

I don't remember Miss Lulu taking a pie in HALF-WITS HOLIDAY or in any of the other million shorts where that pie fight footage was later used, though I can be wrong.  You're right though, for the most part in this one, she does enjoy Curly's company once the dancing begins, and continues to do so until she accidentally strips him of his pants. 

By the way, I forgot to mention what a classic that "Venus De Milo" line is.

I should have to retire for forgetting to mention this.

No one mentioned the wacky scene in the bedroom with Curly getting dressed... or the adventures with trying to get into the prison and thinking they are hidden behind a meshed waste basket.

This short's just awesome!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

A rice at a wedding story - my Aunt got married when I was 11 years old, and I was given a fistful of rice and told to throw it at her.  Me, being a dumb kid, didn't know you were supposed to do it long range while she was going into the limo, so in the receiving line, I throw a fastball of rice close range right at her.  Ah, innocence.

As far as the senator line, I could check out my copy of a HALF-WITS HOLIDAY, but I too prefer to wait. That said, I do know, having just watched IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE, that Etherelda Leopold just took a pie saying, "Oh Senator" after Senator Vernon Dent took a shot himself.  Perhaps that's what you're thinking of, Big Chief?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Kopfy2013

Curly is great. The dance scene is great. "I heard a hollow sound" is funny... Curly's wife at the end outshines any other woman in my opinion.

I give it an 8
Niagara Falls

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

The poor thing.  She did nothing to deserve that...

Ok, she did.  She was dumb enough to stay in the room when the fight broke out.

And to add to things: do not forget the pinball machine.  The abusive pinball machine technique would reappear in THREE LITTLE PIRATES.
#1 fire kibitzer

This entry is way too late, but it might be an answer to an unresolved question, and since I'm not sure, I'm going to answer the question with a question:  could it be that Moe's calling the doorman "billigen", he actually said "pelican", that is, a bird who stands stiffly with his face hanging out?

Offline stoogerascalfan62

What is the name of the Rhumba tune heard in the film?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What is the name of the Rhumba tune heard in the film?

Answer can be found in this website's Filmography page for THREE SMART SAPS (1942).

Offline Signor Spumoni

could it be that Moe's calling the doorman "billigen", he actually said "pelican", that is, a bird who stands stiffly with his face hanging out?

I, too, always heard the word as "pelican."  What I assumed is that Moe, as a Stooge, is ignorant enough to say pelican when he meant penguin, a bird in formal attire.

Offline Signor Spumoni

(occidentation being in the western hemisphere

I like your joke, Lefty!  It's nice to see at least one other person who knows the opposite of "orient." 

Offline Lefty

I like your joke, Lefty!  It's nice to see at least one other person who knows the opposite of "orient."

Thanks, Signor!  I guess my 15 years of college came in handy for something besides my qualifications for my job.   :laugh:

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks, Signor!  I guess my 15 years of college came in handy for something besides my qualifications for my job.   :laugh:

Meet any college widows in those fifteen years??   ;) 

In reference to occidental and oriental - - here's a piece I like very much.  I only wish Robert Maxwell had titled it "Occidental Slip On an Oriental Rug."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B1qLMQfHmY