Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Spook Louder (1943)

metaldams · 72 · 28153

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/69
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036381/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It's funny, I love old horror movies and I love old comedies, but unless if it's Abbott and Costello or maybe Bob Hope and The Bowery Boys, I don't tend to think of horror comedies being most comedian's best films.  This applies to Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, and even The Three Stooges.  Perhaps it's because the horror elements aren't quite as good in the films of the latter while they are in the former.  Really, no classic horror here, but SPOOK LOUDER, as far as horror Stooge films go, is not bad.  A step down still from the '40 - '41 peak, but worthwhile.

One thing I find hysterical is that the gags with the boys as peddlers have nothing to do with the plot and are comic scenes for the sake of comedy.  Not unusual in itself for a Stooge short, but what is funny is the fact when the interviewer asks the professor what these parts have to do with the pie mystery, he flat out admits nothing!  Hey, if you have little plot, make a routine out of it!  Nice!  Oh, and the scene with the boys and Symona Boniface completely rules.

The comic horror stuff, well, is nothing offensive, but nothing great either.  Just a lot of serviceable Stooge scare reactions.  I have to say though, the scene with Curly and the balloon is now special to me.  My six year old nephew I don't think has watched a short yet, but my brother has shown him clips on YouTube.  He sights this gag as his favorite bit, and who am I to argue with him?

Also, more WWII stuff as the boys have to defend the house from potential Japanese spies.  Kind of chilling hearing Ted Lorch talk about taking his death ray to Washington that would destroy everyone in wake of what was about to happen with the atom bomb in Japan three years after this was filmed.

Oh, major props to whoever threw that pie into Moe's face.  The most awesomely perfect pie shot I have ever witnessed.

Overall, a good film, but again, I feel spoiled after the run we just finished from a few years earlier.  Still, a good film, and for that, I'm thankful.

7/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:11:05 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

When I talked about shorts from 1943 that I'm not that wild about, this is one I had in mind. Metal, you brought up a point I was going to touch on as far as horror comedies and who it works for. I was thinking, I would much rather see Lou Costello in a haunted house setting rather than Moe, Larry and Curly or even Moe, Larry and Shemp; thinking of the later Shivering Sherlocks.

This short is not terrible, but it's not exactly good either. I guess I would put it in the same neighborhood as Saved By the Belle or Dunked in the Deep in that it's just kind of meh.

I did enjoy Professor Dunkfeather's maniacal laugh at the end, followed by *splat*... for that I think I'll give this an extra half poke...

4.5 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

This one is so disjointed story-wise that I believe the interview with Prof. Dunkfeather was a last minute framing device to try and make sense of the stooge footage.  If that is the idea, it fails spectacularly, since it in itself becomes one more segment that makes no sense.  I don't care.  This is one of my top-five faves, maybe even top three.  I think it's a riot.  I think the total chaos even enhances the humor.  The pace is lightning fast, this contains the best all-time version of the short wave joke, the energy is very high, there's a gag every five seconds, it seems, and the pie-throwing is as good as it ever gets.  Blystone, Moe, and especially Dunkfeather
( whatever that actor's name is, somebody help me out here ) each takes a monster pie.  I myself like Dunkfeather's the best, because on top of it's hitting so sweet, it absolutely negates his claim that he threw the pies, letting the short finish with the ultimate bit of chaotic illogic.  I love it.  I absolutely love it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:01:17 PM by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz »

Lew Kelly is Dunkfeather.  A real one-hit wonder.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I personally believe that this is supposed to come across as stupid.  The plot is totally disconnected, but coherent when you really analyze it.  Newspaper guy wants a story, and he got it, with some of the professor's embellishments added.  The pies help make this short funnier than it is, and it's quite strange to see the mad scientist actually be... not so mad.  I enjoy this short if just because (a) it is coherent, and (b) it has lots and laughs.  If a Stooge short has both (a) and (b), then it MUST be a good one even if it's not a GOAT contender.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline JazzBill

I don't like it. I don't like the plot (what there is of one). Don't care for the pies being thrown for no reason. It just seems stupid to me. The only scene I do like is with Curly and the balloon. It must have been pretty difficult to get that balloon in the right place at the right time. I would put this short in my list of least favorites and rate it a 4.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Geez, talk about a polarizing short!  I go in the middle while everybody else either calls it a masterpiece or garbage.  Good reading all around.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Geez, talk about a polarizing short!  I go in the middle while everybody else either calls it a masterpiece or garbage.  Good reading all around.

I want to go on record as being in the middle.  As I said, it's not an all-time great, but it's still.  It's definitely on the same level as last week's short.  Some of us will never be satisfied as you and I seem to be the ones giving support to our ratings whilst the highly opinionated ones just say "I don't know why; I just do!"
#1 fire kibitzer

Paul Payne,  I don't think you and Metaldams are the only ones backing up your opinions.  If you re-read my post, you'll find that I give seven, count 'em seven, specific reasons why I love this one.  I hope I'm not included in your "I don't know why I just do" list.  I for sure know exactly why I love this one, and I think I expressed why and backed up my reasons pretty damn clearly.

BTW, isn't this two shorts in a row that use the rocking chair/cat tail bit?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Big Chief:

1) Yes, you did give some darned good reasons to explain why you like it so much.  Remove yourself from that statement.

2) Yes, this is the second short in a row with the rocking chair crushing the cat's tail.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Svengarlic

Is it my imagination, or is the voice of the suit of armor ghost that of "Chopper", the suspect that Larry beat with a hose and also had a "pair of pants to match" his shredded coat?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Is it my imagination, or is the voice of the suit of armor ghost that of "Chopper", the suspect that Larry beat with a hose and also had a "pair of pants to match" his shredded coat?

No, you are right--Phil Arnold was all of the above mentioned characters, but me thinks you have gotten lost in the wrong thread. We're talking about Spook Louder here--still a long way to go before we get to the shredded coat...  :P
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

The voice in the armor is from THE GHOST TALKS (1949).  We'll definitely discuss Lady Godiva at a later date.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and talk about irony, unbeknownst to me, my brother and nephew are watching THE GHOST TALKS as I made the post above.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just wanted to mention that for many years, I never saw the unedited version of this short--nor did I realize that the print AMC ran of Spook Louder many years ago was edited, as far as Ted Lorch's scene with Curly where they are talking about Jap spies. Wasn't until I got the Volume 4 DVD that I finally saw this unadulterated.

All that being said, it's still a subpar short...   ;)

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
How long has the term "B.O." stood for "Body Odor"?  It apparently was around in the 1930s and 40s.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
How long has the term "B.O." stood for "Body Odor"?  It apparently was around in the 1930s and 40s.

Used as a joke in FIDDLERS THREE (1948)...

bellows:  "Beeeeee-ooooooh..."
Shemp:  "Phew!  Your best friend should tell thee."

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

From this website's Filmography...

THE GHOST TALKS (1949), with a list of the cast & crew credits, each linked accordingly...
Cast Database: Phil Arnold

Offline JazzBill

Some of us will never be satisfied as you and I seem to be the ones giving support to our ratings whilst the highly opinionated ones just say "I don't know why; I just do!"
Sorry, I didn't know you had installed amount numbers on reasons why I should like or not like a short. I will try to do better the next review.   ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Sorry, I didn't know you had installed amount numbers on reasons why I should like or not like a short. I will try to do better the next review.   ;D

The correct number of reasons is 6 7/8.  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

" Beee-OOOooohhh" was the catchphrase, or whatever you want to call it, for Lifebuoy Soap in the Golden Age of Radio.  It goes way back.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
All right, metaldams, go and get us all set up to have a club named "The Amalgamated Association of Morons."
#1 fire kibitzer