Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Back From the Front (1943)

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/70
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035658/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"But mein Fuehrer, vee are Nazis, vee have no brains!"

The above line is Stanley Blystone's greatest moment in Stoogedom.  Also one of my favorite moments, period.  I tend to get very uneasy about propaganda of almost any kind from any country or time the older I get, but in films like this, I'm just not offended.  This is the exception. Things are so over the top, so comical, so unbelievable, that you figure the makers of this short could not have been serious.  Who could genuinely believe a Nazi would really say a line like that?  Who could genuinely believe three numbskulls like The Three Stooges can take over an entire Nazi naval crew?  They manage to degrade Nazi's, which in itself is not bad, but they do so in a way that does not insult my intelligence.  They actually make no pretense of intelligence, and for that, I am grateful.

The boys themselves are all in top form in this one.  Curly hasn't been this hyper in a while.  He's singing songs, dancing, making so bad they're good jokes (the "I can't hear a thing" bit being a favorite), and his voice is in perfect high squeal mode.  Also, if you can manage to take your eyes off masters Curly and Moe during the little paint brush battle, check out Larry and the way his face and body almost mirror the action.  They say the more you watch these films, you notice Larry more.  This bit is a great example.

Oh, Bud and Vernon alert!  The two work brilliantly together near the bean filled cannon, and for Bud Jamison, only WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN! is better than this in my opinion.  That shot of beans he takes covering his face is a masterpiece, a portrait that belongs above any fireplace.

Over the years, I have not heard this short get much praise, but I've always felt it to be one of the better Stooge films.  I wonder what the rest of you think.

10/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:09:29 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Hello Metal, while I'm not quite as high on this short as you are, I will say it's definitely a step up or two from last week. Also, unless I missed something, 1943 marks the beginning of the sound effects crew actually using a sound effect for the eyepoke--although I will say that this short proves that the crew was still a long way from finding the right sound.

I don't think it was until 1945 that they found the right plunking nose. At any rate, getting back to "Front"-- I loved Curly and Moe's little paint battle, but I must admit to not paying much attention to Larry during that scene. Maybe I'll have to go back and watch it again.

"What a day" was another highlight, as was Curly's little diddy while cleaning the cannon. I believe it went "In Ala-bammy, I'm humming to the beat."  :D

Overall, I rate it a solid 8 out of 10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I think Metal hit all the main points.  I will add that the scene with boys in the ocean with dog pulling them is good.  The ending leaves me on the floor every time.  All the actors are at their, but I give highest marks to Stanley and Bud.  Without them the short would be nothing.  Vernon excels at being the typical Stooge foil.  Last, Larry gets Stooge of the short for his awesomeness.  He plays well as the level-headed Stooge here.  10/10.  Two more propaganda films to come: one a riot and one a disappointment.
#1 fire kibitzer

Definitely, this one's good all the way through, all it lacks IMHO is one of those iconic scenes, since the highlight is the reprise of the Nazi impersonations which is nothing new.  Just fine, but not new.  One wonders just where on board they dug up the uniforms.  Blystone ( he really is always good, always on the job, always funny ) does his level best at a German accent and comes out sounding like a citizen of Helsinki until the line "Ve haff no brains", which for some glorious reason he nails.
     I find that one of the most interesting parts of this is the color footage of the action with Jules White directing.  From everything I know about him, he was an egomaniac, but directing with his shirt off, which is caught in this clip and in another place which I can't remember right now ( Uncivil Warbirds? ) is an exhibit I can do without.  It's like a fat guy in a speedo, you just want to say Put some clothes on, Asshole.  Obviously he knew that nothing like this would ever be released, but just as obviously it's a power play, an intimidation tactic, that would have grossed out the whole crew and was apparently a routine occurrence in his productions.
I'm not a big fan of Jules White as a director, though he is O K up to this point, and I get that as time went on he was subject to the same budget cuts as everyone else, but reports are unanimous as to how dictatorial he was , insisting that the stooges read the lines exactly his way ( Moe seems to be affected most from this as time went on, his acting getting hammier and hammier, Larry not so much and Larry in his retirement claiming that Moe disliked White ), and though it may seem that I'm wildly extrapolating the decade-long future of the stooges from one shirtless shot of White, I'll go out on a limb and say that White's kind of exhibitionism led to the degradation of the best stooge comedy.  I feel strongly about this, and if it's O K with you guys, I'll be commenting on this more and more as time goes on.

Oh, and lookie here, I'm suddenly a Chucklehead. I'm sincerely thrilled.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

By all means, Chief--feel free to vent about Jules White. It could lead to some interesting discourse....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I think the Chief brings up an excellent point.  While it is not so evident in the Curly years, Moe and Larry really do take on a cheesy expression during the Shemp years.  Moe isn't as domineering; he doesn't go into his deep bully tone often.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Big Chief, where is this color footage of Jules White directing you speak of?  If I ever saw it, I must have forgotten about it and am having trouble locating it online.

As far as Moe not being domineering during the Shemp years, I'll have to take a look about six months from now when we get to Shemp, but man, I have memories of Moe slapping Shemp admitting it's for no reason at all!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Big Chief, where is this color footage of Jules White directing you speak of?  If I ever saw it, I must have forgotten about it and am having trouble locating it online.

As far as Moe not being domineering during the Shemp years, I'll have to take a look about six months from now when we get to Shemp, but man, I have memories of Moe slapping Shemp admitting it's for no reason at all!

Oh, I do NOT deny that.  I say he is not as domineering.  Think of all the times Shemp and Larry get to dish it out to Moe (heck, Moe and Larry switch positions in two shorts during the Shemp year!).  Just go through those shorts and look at the "Stooge Mayhem" counts.  Some shorts such as this one don't have much slapping and what not, but it is quite reduced during the Shemp years and non-existant during the Joe years.

Did I mention I love BACK FROM THE FRONT?
#1 fire kibitzer

I think my only experience with the color footage is the frame grabs that were run in the Journal a couple of years ago.  It gives you a good idea of the thing, which is reportedly quite short anyway.
     I didn't say that Moe got mellower as the Jules White era pressed on, I said he got hammier, that is to say more amateurish in his acting, less like the Moe that we know from the classic years and more like, well, like someone who is trying to take direction from someone whom he dislikes.  Indeed, I think the violence intensifies during the fifties, sometimes bordering on torture.

I can't put my hands on the Journal issue with the color photos of Back to the Front at the moment, but the photos of Uncivil Warbirds including a shirtless White ( and incidentally, a quite healthy and active-looking Curly ) are in issue #124, Winter 2007.
     I think the actual footage resides in the Stoogeum.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Nobody has mentioned Larry's comedic briefcase.  It aptly describes the Nazty regime.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I think my only experience with the color footage is the frame grabs that were run in the Journal a couple of years ago.  It gives you a good idea of the thing, which is reportedly quite short anyway.
     I didn't say that Moe got mellower as the Jules White era pressed on, I said he got hammier, that is to say more amateurish in his acting, less like the Moe that we know from the classic years and more like, well, like someone who is trying to take direction from someone whom he dislikes.  Indeed, I think the violence intensifies during the fifties, sometimes bordering on torture.

The one short I can think of instantly where Moe was definitely hammier was SWEET AND HOT, but I'll keep your observation in mind as we get into the Shemp era.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

This short is on my list of favorites. You have Vernon Dent at his diabolical best, throw in Bud Jamison and Stanley Blystone and you can't go wrong. Curly is in top form and so are Moe and Larry. I like the Curly "what  a day" bit, and the German whale falling on Larry. I always thought it funny that the boys would shove the beans in a cannon instead of throwing them overboard. If you watch closely when the boys and dog are boarding the ship, when they reach the door you can see hand signal shadows on the deck. After that you see the guards start to come down the stairs. I've seen the color footage of Jules a couple of times at the Stooges fan club meeting, but I don't know where else it has shown up.   
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Svengarlic

A couple of observations: The below deck scene clearly inspired the later Shemp short with Giff me that fill-um, sans the additional hammock flying-through-the air-into-the-fiery-barrel scene. I wonder if they tried to include that in the original, but could not get it right? I was impressed by that particular stunt.

The first scene with the girls I've seen only a couple of times. When I was a kid the local station that ran the shorts would edit out a few minutes of one of the episodes to make 3 shorts fit in an hour with the commercials. Re-viewing that scene this morning I noticed that the middle blonde was the same brunette that exclaimed "Somebody lost her skirt!" while dancing with Moe in an earlier short.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The thing I always noticed during that opening scene with the girls--Moe must have been a sloppy kisser; notice how the girl he smacks on the lips keeps wiping her mouth with her hands (lol)... :P

Offline Svengarlic

The thing I always noticed during that opening scene with the girls--Moe must have been a sloppy kisser; notice how the girl he smacks on the lips keeps wiping her mouth with her hands (lol)... :P
As a matter of fact I DID notice that! Now I'm going to have to watch every kissing episode closely to see what's up with that.  :-\

Offline Kopfy2013

I like this short. I tend to like all the war shorts. All the actors do the Germans well.

I did notice Larry in the paint seen; very good.

Following up with Shemp Diesel - The way the girl rubs her lips I do not think it was a sloppy kiss from Moe. I think he may have bit her. See the way she is rubbing her lips seconds after it actually happened - bottom lip - top lip.  It's amazing they did not cut and reshoot. I wonder if she worked in other shorts after this. Looking at the Filmography  she did not. I wonder if it was because of the way she acted.

I give the short a solid eight.

Niagara Falls

Don't know what happened to the actress, but Moe was a heavy smoker - that may account for the involuntary wipe.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of the few wartime shorts I remember seeing in the early 1970s and certainly among the best. Terrific supporting cast and lots of great gags. Moe's final Hitler impersonation is a gem. Anyone notice that Curly leaves behind his Navy cap after the boys visit their girlfriends?

8.5/10

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Coming in at #156 we have what I consider another sub-par Curly effort.  Once again, I judge these by how many laughs they provide and this one just doesn't have that many for me.  Too many slow spots overall.  The boys did war stuff way better (see: "You Natzy Spy").

#156. Back From The Front

Offline Larrys#1

I may get my head chopped off or get burnt at the stake for my opinion on this (tho I'd rather be burnt at the stake), but I find this a rather weak short. I find the WWII heavy shorts such as this one a bit much for me. And I felt the episode is a tad slow with not much laughs. Can't explain it. This one just doesn't tickle my fancy

4/10