Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

I Can Hardly Wait (1943)

metaldams · 31 · 13510

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/73
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036024/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It is really funny that a short named I CAN HARDLY WAIT is being reviewed this week.  I'm on vacation this coming week, so the title of this short has been my mantra all week.  Gotta say, I also couldn't wait to review this short, because I really enjoy it.  Another short I always felt I enjoyed better than the average Stooge fan, but we shall see what you other knuckleheads say.

I'll get the one somewhat confusing thing out of the way first.  The boys rob a safe with food, are thrilled the shades are down because the neighbors can't see them doing it, yet are comfortable enough in the house to sleep in it?  Would you sleep in a house you are going to steal from?  Am I missing something here?  Just bringing this up to get conversation going, as it does not hinder my enjoyment at all.

For WWII references, the boys are defense workers in this one, and there are a few scattered references in the short about this.  Also, during Curly's classic song, he mentions how his future wife's cauliflower ear is not rationed.

This short is another one that pre-dates a lot of the early 50's Shemp shorts in that the short is very boxed in with scenery, has little in terms of supporting players (it's just the boys the first fourteen minutes), and is a lot of no frills, fun Stooge comedy.  The centerpiece of the short is trying to get Curly's bad tooth out, and they manage to get a lot of funny comedy out of this premise.  My favorite bit is Moe yanking Curly on the fishing line, which is an incredibly funny visual.  I also love the fact that after a dream sequence in which all these complicated scenarios fail to get Curly's bad tooth out, a simple punch in the mouth does the trick.

Other favorite bits?  Larry's satisfied expression when smelling the boiled water only to have Moe slam his face in the water.  The already mentioned "Bre(a)d in Old Kentucky" song Curly sang.  Curly' wringing out a wet slice of ham like a sponge.  Larry's coffee pick up line gag.  Just about everything else.

A highly enjoyable short overall.

10/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:17:27 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/73
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036024/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll get the one somewhat confusing thing out of the way first.  The boys rob a safe with food, are thrilled the shades are down because the neighbors can't see them doing it, yet are comfortable enough in the house to sleep in it?  Would you sleep in a house you are going to steal from?
I always thought the boys were in their house and had the drapes drawn and the food in a safe to protect it from their neighbors robbing them.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'll get the one somewhat confusing thing out of the way first.  The boys rob a safe with food, are thrilled the shades are down because the neighbors can't see them doing it, yet are comfortable enough in the house to sleep in it?  Would you sleep in a house you are going to steal from?  Am I missing something here? 

It's a comment on food rationing and homefront meat shortages during the war.  They're in their house, raiding their own refrigerator, and don't want the neighbors seeing them feasting on their allowances.  Also that the shades are down, due to civilian blackout conditions maintained during the war.

A similar-type joke in the preceding HIGHER THAN A KITE...
"General, where is your automobile?"
"Dumbkopf, all I got is an A-Card."

A-Card = Lowest level of gasoline allowance @ 4 gallons per week.  (Ironic illogic, a German dealing with U.S. civilian rationing, but a joke is a joke.)

Naah, there's something wrong with this one, and, as will become boringly predictable with me, I'll blame it on Jules White.  To begin with, it looks peculiar: is it lit funny? I think so.  The opening scenes are clinically bright. The stooge schtick is O K, but still the pictorial quality looks funny.  ( I'll admit here that I do not own the new Sony digitalisations,  as much as I've hinted to my immediate family that I would welcome the set as a gift on any major , or even minor, holiday. )  The newest reissues may look different from all the rest from this era, and negate all of my following comments, but I doubt it.   That's the first, and lesser, problem.  The larger one is, why the dream sequence?  There's nothing that happens after the Dream Baloon ushers into the dream sequence that couldn't have happened in real time.  The home-made tooth-pulling that ensues is not dream-like at all, it's strictly stooge-normal.  The visit to the dentist is okay, Larry's line to the receptionist is good, and Moe getting his tooth pulled rather than Curly was definitely funny fifteen years previously when Laurel and Hardy did it, but I would  repeat that it is not in the slightest dream-like. Then we are shown that Curly is spazzing out in his top bunk as a result of - what-? - dreaming of the dentist's office? and he crashes thru the bunks.  This is apparently the end of the dream, such as it is, and, for the big finish, Moe punches Curly in the mouth and miraculously extracts the correct tooth.  This may be the first ( I may be wrong, but even if I am wrong it's one of the first instances of many more to come) closed-fist, no comedy-intended punches-in-the-mouth from Moe, which from here on under Jules White's direction, erase all comic finesse , and which, as time goes on, erase all the fun from stooge slapstick.  It creeps up slowly, boys, but don't worry, I'll keep you informed.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

BeAStooge explained it all nicely--the part about them being in their own house I had already assumed. As for the short as a whole, I think it's terrific. Correct me if I'm wrong--but I think this is the first time Moe uses the "Knee-elbow-chin position" gag on another stooge. And I love that shot of Curly's reaction after the camera cuts to him with the slice of ham sitting on top of his almost bald head.

The argument at the dinner table is nice (You get a whole bone and a whole egg shell and you're squawking), as is the part where Curly plays the bread with yodeling accompaniment from Larry.

This is another of Bud Jamison's smaller roles in a stooge short--although I think it's been established that his tiniest role was in Loco Boy Makes Good. At any rate, I enjoyed him pulling Moe's tooth when Curly was supposed to be the patient.

Overall, there's not too much to dislike about this one--save for the fact that Larry nearly disappears during the trip to the dentist. And as soon as I mention Larry, I remember the great "At last you got a hunk of brain" exchange...   :D

8.5 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

I like this short a lot. I don't know why they turned it into a dream scene but it didn't seem to hurt the comedy. The attempted tooth pulling scenes are funny and Curly seems to be in fine physical shape. I still find the dentist office scenes LOL funny. I rate this short a solid 9.
 On a side note, here is an example of Wikipedia giving out some bad information.

Plot[edit]
The Stooges are defense workers at the Heedlock Airplane Corp., a pun on the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. They enter an apartment and break into a safe, which turns out to be a refrigerator.

They make it sound like the boys are breaking into a safe.

Offline metaldams

It's a comment on food rationing and homefront meat shortages during the war.  They're in their house, raiding their own refrigerator, and don't want the neighbors seeing them feasting on their allowances.  Also that the shades are down, due to civilian blackout conditions maintained during the war.

A similar-type joke in the preceding HIGHER THAN A KITE...
"General, where is your automobile?"
"Dumbkopf, all I got is an A-Card."

A-Card = Lowest level of gasoline allowance @ 4 gallons per week.  (Ironic illogic, a German dealing with U.S. civilian rationing, but a joke is a joke.)

Thank you Brent!  That actually sheds a lot of light on both this short and WWII America for me, so that's great info.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Naah, there's something wrong with this one, and, as will become boringly predictable with me, I'll blame it on Jules White.  To begin with, it looks peculiar: is it lit funny? I think so.  The opening scenes are clinically bright. The stooge schtick is O K, but still the pictorial quality looks funny.  ( I'll admit here that I do not own the new Sony digitalisations,  as much as I've hinted to my immediate family that I would welcome the set as a gift on any major , or even minor, holiday. )  The newest reissues may look different from all the rest from this era, and negate all of my following comments, but I doubt it.   That's the first, and lesser, problem.  The larger one is, why the dream sequence?  There's nothing that happens after the Dream Baloon ushers into the dream sequence that couldn't have happened in real time.  The home-made tooth-pulling that ensues is not dream-like at all, it's strictly stooge-normal.  The visit to the dentist is okay, Larry's line to the receptionist is good, and Moe getting his tooth pulled rather than Curly was definitely funny fifteen years previously when Laurel and Hardy did it, but I would  repeat that it is not in the slightest dream-like. Then we are shown that Curly is spazzing out in his top bunk as a result of - what-? - dreaming of the dentist's office? and he crashes thru the bunks.  This is apparently the end of the dream, such as it is, and, for the big finish, Moe punches Curly in the mouth and miraculously extracts the correct tooth.  This may be the first ( I may be wrong, but even if I am wrong it's one of the first instances of many more to come) closed-fist, no comedy-intended punches-in-the-mouth from Moe, which from here on under Jules White's direction, erase all comic finesse , and which, as time goes on, erase all the fun from stooge slapstick.  It creeps up slowly, boys, but don't worry, I'll keep you informed.

I never noticed any lighting issues.  Anyone else?

As far as the dream sequence, I agree with what you're saying from a logical standpoint, but I think Jazzbill said it best when he said it doesn't hurt the comedy.  Plus we get an excuse to see that bizarre thought dream bubble over Curly's head.

I mentioned this in my original post, but the punch, to me anyway, is anything but no comedy intended.  The punchline (no pun intended), is that after all these extravagant ways to get Curly's tooth out fail, a simple punch in the mouth does the trick.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This is another of Bud Jamison's smaller roles in a stooge short--although I think it's been established that his tiniest role was in Loco Boy Makes Good. At any rate, I enjoyed him pulling Moe's tooth when Curly was supposed to be the patient.

We always talk about Curly's illness, but Bud Jamison in his last few shorts, while he performs fine, looks ill.  This is the first short I notice this.  His hair is lighter and he's starting to lose weight.  He did die of cancer in 1944.  We do have a couple of more roles left with him, but he was a big loss.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This:
We always talk about Curly's illness, but Bud Jamison in his last few shorts, while he performs fine, looks ill.  This is the first short I notice this.  His hair is lighter and he's starting to lose weight.  He did die of cancer in 1944.  We do have a couple of more roles left with him, but he was a big loss.

Fortunately, CRASH GOES THE HASH, which was Bud's last role, was arguably his greatest role as a support player for the Stooges.  Whenever the Stooges are in my dreams, Bud's there.  Call me a fan.

I agree with Big Chief that the lighting does seem off.  The whole time there seems to be a light turned off that should be on, but maybe they were establishing the fact that the majority of the plot takes place at night?

When I was younger, I never appreciated this plot much.  Now that I'm 21, I suddenly notice things like the WWII references, the nature of the dream sequence, and the tone of the whole kitchen scene.  It's a very light-hearted approach to a dark time in civilian America.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
This is also the last role for Stooge starlet Adela Mara.  Not many classics left...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This is also the last role for Stooge starlet Adela Mara.  Not many classics left...

Yeah, last of two roles.   ;D

Are you not a Shemp fan?  I think there are plenty of Shemp shorts I'd consider classic, and would say the classics dry up around late 1952 or so.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

This is a funny short from start to finish.  As the Stooges look in the safe/fridge for what to have for supper, they didn't take the shoes.  Maybe that was for the weekend.  My brother, a retired dentist, never tried the ladder-and-chandelier trick to pull a tooth.  (Nor did he sandpaper the chest or varnish the lid.)  Of course with the ceilings in the Stooges' bedroom seemingly 20 feet high, this trick wouldn't work well in normal places.  I don't have a problem with the dream sequence, as it sets up a great final scene.  Curly's "Bread in Old Kentucky" song is a highlight.  It wasn't until I saw the short with closed-captioning that I found out he said "rationed" instead of "ration," which didn't seem right.  And let's not forget "Kommandant Moe," wearing the ham bone like a monocle after Curly threw it away.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the part where Curly spreads mustard on Moe's arm--what a slice of ham...

:)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Yeah, last of two roles.   ;D

Are you not a Shemp fan?  I think there are plenty of Shemp shorts I'd consider classic, and would say the classics dry up around late 1952 or so.

Far be it from me!  Shemp is my favorite Stooge!  I mean that we have few classic Curly shorts left.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline PresidentWardRobey

Watching it nowadays, the dream sequence does seem a bit odd, but, I wonder if at that time, it was done in response to a possible censorship issue.  As an example, near the end of the A&C movie, In The Navy, Costello impersonates a navy captain and puts a battleship through a series of madcap maneuvers.  The US Navy would not allow the film to be released as is and they had to go back and shoot additional footage to show that it was all a dream.  Granted, the Stooges did not do anything in their film that seemed egregious in our eyes, but since they were portraying defense workers during wartime, it may be possible that their film was put under a bit more scrutiny.  The studio may have added that to avoid any conflict.  Not sure if that was the actual reason -- just something I thought might be possible.

Offline metaldams

Watching it nowadays, the dream sequence does seem a bit odd, but, I wonder if at that time, it was done in response to a possible censorship issue.  As an example, near the end of the A&C movie, In The Navy, Costello impersonates a navy captain and puts a battleship through a series of madcap maneuvers.  The US Navy would not allow the film to be released as is and they had to go back and shoot additional footage to show that it was all a dream.  Granted, the Stooges did not do anything in their film that seemed egregious in our eyes, but since they were portraying defense workers during wartime, it may be possible that their film was put under a bit more scrutiny.  The studio may have added that to avoid any conflict.  Not sure if that was the actual reason -- just something I thought might be possible.

That's a great theory.  I have heard that story about IN THE NAVY, so perhaps it may hold true about I CAN HARDLY WAIT.  Then again, IN THE NAVY's dream sequence showed incompetence on behalf of naval procedures, the Stooges as defense workers are just pulling teeth.  Still, something interesting to look for next time I watch this short.
- Doug Sarnecky

I have to say, I feel too sorry for Curly throughout most of this one to be amused by it. There are some good parts, though, like "She was bred in old Kentucky but she's only a crumb up here."
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

This:
Fortunately, CRASH GOES THE HASH, which was Bud's last role, was arguably his greatest role as a support player for the Stooges.  Whenever the Stooges are in my dreams, Bud's there.  Call me a fan.

I agree with Big Chief that the lighting does seem off.  The whole time there seems to be a light turned off that should be on, but maybe they were establishing the fact that the majority of the plot takes place at night?

When I was younger, I never appreciated this plot much.  Now that I'm 21, I suddenly notice things like the WWII references, the nature of the dream sequence, and the tone of the whole kitchen scene.  It's a very light-hearted approach to a dark time in civilian America.
Bud's passing, IMO, was the first "shark jump" the Stooges series would suffer.

Offline JazzBill

Bud's passing, IMO, was the first "shark jump" the Stooges series would suffer.
I don't get how Buds passing was a "shark jump".

Offline metaldams

I don't get how Buds passing was a "shark jump".

I agree.  There were still good shorts left and as far as supporting players go, Bud was a tough loss, but Emil Sitka and Christine McIntyre joined shortly after.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I agree.  There were still good shorts left and as far as supporting players go, Bud was a tough loss, but Emil Sitka and Christine McIntyre joined shortly after.

Christine McIntyre = eye candy  [pie]  Unfortunately, Emil's first as the "Fourth Stooge" was Curly's last, but I think he made a better foil for the Shemp era than Bud would have anyway.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Christine McIntyre = eye candy  [pie] 

Well, yes, she was drop dead gorgeous but she had tons of talent.  She was to Columbia what Thelma Todd was to Hal Roach, minus the tragedy and plus the singing voice.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Well, yes, she was drop dead gorgeous but she had tons of talent.  She was to Columbia what Thelma Todd was to Hal Roach, minus the tragedy and plus the singing voice.

People don't realize just how spoiled we Stooge fans are.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Kopfy2013

Very good short. I love the dream sequence of trying to pull the tooth. Especially the fishing seen. Great line after the light: You made me bald headed in the mouth.  Some small great gags. Lighting the lighter from the match so they could light the dynamite. The door opening how Moe thought it would not.

This is a solid 8
Niagara Falls