Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Busy Buddies (1944)

metaldams · 26 · 11850

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/78
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036682/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Episode 78, which if you do the math means I've been doing this once a week faithfully for a year and a half.  Insert your own comments here.  :P

Unfortunately, we have another late era Del Lord short which I'm not very high on, so perhaps I'll be a bore this week.  Oh, don't worry, next week I'll be anything but a bore, but we're in that window of time where some of these shorts are just kind of there.  Del Lord is losing steam, we're not in the peak anymore, Ed Bernds isn't here yet....but yeah, back to Del Lord.  It's really amazing how uninspiring this one is, the same guy who directed A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, HOI POLLOI, PARDON MY SCOTCH, and so many other classics gives us this.

I mean, stupid nicknames for breakfast, the coffee paint gag, the waiting for a cow to give milk, it seems so stock.  I don't find humor in the milking contest, and I've said in the past, the audience laughing at the antics of The Three Stooges during the contest is bad comic form.  We're supposed to be laughing, the straight world they're in should be appalled.  Where's Symona when you need her?

Curly has some nice energy in the beginning, but other than that, eh.  I'll be the curmudgeon this week.  Next week, I'll be firing on all cylinders, but let's save that discussion for then and focus on BUSY BUDDIES for now.

5/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:20:32 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I used to be real high on this short--not so much now. But--in the grand scheme of things--I have to say, I find this to be one of the better ones as far as shorts that Del Lord wrote or co-wrote. It's certainly miles ahead of the next one that Del wrote, but I'm sure we'll get to that when the time comes.

The Jive Cafe scenes were definitely the best part of the short. But looking at the film as a whole--there's a bad taste that gets left in my mouth because there is no happy resolution. The stooges don't make enough dough to pay off their bills, so you have to assume they lose the restaurant. Kind of a downer when you think about it.

Overall, I rate it a 7 out of 10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This is one of those shorts that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth for two reasons: (a) the ending, and (b) the crappy plot.  The scenes of the boys outside, however, were quite good and worth the laughs, but the rest of it not so much.

Any chance we could ever get to review the solo Shemp shorts (the ones he actually starred in)?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This is one of those shorts that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth for two reasons: (a) the ending, and (b) the crappy plot.  The scenes of the boys outside, however, were quite good and worth the laughs, but the rest of it not so much.

Any chance we could ever get to review the solo Shemp shorts (the ones he actually starred in)?

I should have mentioned the diner is overall best for me in this short, at least Curly has some energy and I laughed, but did anybody else notice the lack of Larry in this short?

As far as Shemp Columbia solo, as well as Besser and Derita, the plan is to get to those after the shorts and features that actually star all three stooges.  But yeah, I definitely plan to get to those, it will just be a while.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I should have mentioned the diner is overall best for me in this short, at least Curly has some energy and I laughed, but did anybody else notice the lack of Larry in this short?

As far as Shemp Columbia solo, as well as Besser and Derita, the plan is to get to those after the shorts and features that actually star all three stooges.  But yeah, I definitely plan to get to those, it will just be a while.

Yes!  I can wait for that! (2+ years from now)

Yeah, I did notice that.  Most of the interaction is between Moe and Curly.  Larry is there to be a second person in the cow suit.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

The scene in the Jive cafe, Moe's explanation of what's in a cow, and Curly's quote -- "Sunday night!  1992!" -- are really the only good things in this short.  That audience booing the Stooges at the end would have made a great audience for Match Game in the 1970s, booing bad answers.

Offline JazzBill

Like most of you guys here, I like the beginning better than the rest of the short. The scenes in the diner and the bit with Curly flying over the fence trying to milk the bull are pretty funny. But after that I didn't find much to laugh at. All in all I rate this one a 7.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Signor Spumoni

For me, the funniest parts are the sound effect which signals that Curly is about to come flying over the fence (the bull throws Curly), and the sped-up part where Larry and Moe run around with the blanket to catch Curly. 

Offline stoogerascalfan62

For me the most interesting part is where a poster is shown not only upside down but the letters are reversed!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, whatever we stooge fans think of this short--Del Lord obviously had it on his mind when making Shivering Sherlocks.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Definitely the milking the bull sequence ( I think that's truly first-rate ) and the cow diagram bit.  I can't picture any comic but Moe pulling off the combination of double-talk and ignorance that he does there: I'm sure it was written with him specifically in mind, paying attention to his exact cadences, but like all the best comics, he makes it sound like he's ad libbing.  I find no pathos or sadness in the ending, they've just failed again, that's all.  Curly's still healthy, and his line " Me?  I never even saw a cow!" is great.  True also about the laughter from the audience, that's forcing the issue, a quirk that also harmed Chaplin's The Circus, if you want a hifalutin' precedent.  I would , though, like to put in a good word for the milking champ ( I don't have the computer chops to go find his name and then return here, sorry ), who is surely one of the meanest, toughest looking opponents they ever faced.  I would like to have seen him in other shorts, he seems a natural opponent, although from his limited exposure here, he doesn't seem to be the greatest actor.  Having written that, I now feel bad about dissing him on such puny evidence, but what the fuck, he's dead.

Eddie Gribbon.  That's the Champ's name.  I knew the name and I knew the face, but never 'til now put the two together, and have never seen him anywhere else.  Sorry.  He's still dead, though.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Forgot to mention my favorite part during the milking scene--Curly getting the stool cracked over his head, then the ref starts to count him out before the cow of all things, rings the bell (Mighty close, wasn't it)...   ;D

Offline metaldams

Eddie Gribbon.  That's the Champ's name.  I knew the name and I knew the face, but never 'til now put the two together, and have never seen him anywhere else.  Sorry.  He's still dead, though.

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Eddie Gribbon in this one appearance.  His acting was not very convincing, check out how's he's reciting the lines when he catches the boys cheating.  That said, his brother Harry, who I'm much more familiar with, was great. He appeared with Buster Keaton and more importantly, Shemp in some Vitaphone shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Yeah, but Eddie's physicality was so good, you wish he'd been used again as any kind of threat.

I'm watching it again, and his acting is actually very good except his voice doesn't quite match his character.  His voice is nasty, but it doesn't match his persona, which is REALLY nasty.  Which is why I'd like to give him a few more chances as a stooge villian, which unfortunately didn't happen.  There are way too many whiches in this post.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Yes, Eddie Gribbon is less than underwhelming, almost lame in this short.  Tom Kennedy or Cy Schindell would have been a better fit in that role.

Just watched JERKS OF ALL TRADES... unfortunately that and WHERE THE PEST BEGINS are the only ones I have found on Youtube.  I will next search for Joe DeRita and Joe Besser solos...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Larrys#1

but did anybody else notice the lack of Larry in this short?

I did. I think he only has a couple of lines in this short.... and not to mention, he doesn't take one hit from Moe.

Offline Kopfy2013

I thought this short was funny.  I caught myself laughing a few times ... Curly getting thrown by the bull multiple times ... practicing the milking process in his 'locker-room" ... the interaction between him and the opponent ... The interaction between him and the cow ... it was great.

The look on the faces of Moe and Larry when they crashed coming out of the cow suit ... Curly not recognizing them at first in the suit ... 

The restaurant part was a little slow and gags were not that funny ... I did like 'Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?' ... Vernon does well again.

I give this short an 8.
Niagara Falls

Offline Larrys#1

The lack of Larry in this episode is somewhat disappointing but it doesn't hurt the episode either. Moe and Curly pull things off quite nicely. The is a very funny episode that I enjoy to watch. The whole cafe scene in the beginning is good. I really like the part where Vernon Dent tries to cut the hotcakes and then bends the utensils doing so. If any of you haven't noticed this before, watch when the camera cuts to Curly eating the hotcakes. It's clearly been switched to real, edible hotcakes.

The whole bull scene is a fun one to watch. So was the part where Curly milks the glove and Moe is like, faster faster faster!! And the whole milking content was funny. Not only are the stooges dumb, but so was the audience and the referee for not knowing that Curly was milking a bull, not a cow... and a FAKE bull too.

A good episode that is always fun to watch.

9/10

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I agree that this short is rather undistinguished from the milking competition to the end, but the material before that seems to me quite good, and the sequence with Curly being sent into the yard to milk the "cow" that is actually a bull is one of my favorite bits. Curly's second toss, when we see the dummy come flying over the fence and land head-first, then seamlessly turn into Curly as it turns a somersault, is extremely well done and makes me laugh out loud every time. (I love almost everything the Stooges did with dummies substituted for them, but in this case, it really looks as if Curly flies through the air and lands on his head.) I also like the bit in the restaurant when Curly uses his serving contraption to escape from the kitchen and gets shot across the counter and ends by banging his head on the cash register. Finally, there is the chicken in the kitchen that, on command, not only lays eggs, but lays them hard-boiled!

Offline Larrys#1

Unfortunately, we have another late era Del Lord short which I'm not very high on, so perhaps I'll be a bore this week.  Oh, don't worry, next week I'll be anything but a bore, but we're in that window of time where some of these shorts are just kind of there.  Del Lord is losing steam, we're not in the peak anymore, Ed Bernds isn't here yet....but yeah, back to Del Lord.  It's really amazing how uninspiring this one is, the same guy who directed A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, HOI POLLOI, PARDON MY SCOTCH, and so many other classics gives us this.

I mean, stupid nicknames for breakfast, the coffee paint gag, the waiting for a cow to give milk, it seems so stock.  I don't find humor in the milking contest, and I've said in the past, the audience laughing at the antics of The Three Stooges during the contest is bad comic form.  We're supposed to be laughing, the straight world they're in should be appalled.  Where's Symona when you need her?

Curly has some nice energy in the beginning, but other than that, eh.  I'll be the curmudgeon this week.  Next week, I'll be firing on all cylinders, but let's save that discussion for then and focus on BUSY BUDDIES for now.

5/10

5/10.... ouch, man! Save that rating for the Besser shorts.  :D

Offline metaldams

5/10.... ouch, man! Save that rating for the Besser shorts.  :D

The best Besser short...maybe.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

The diner scenes were hilarious but afterwards the laughs and humor became less frequent, plus the milking scenes were boring and forgettable, I wish they would've chosen another actor to play the rival instead of Eddie Gribben (sp), he was one of the worst stooge foils of all time and his "foul" line was very poor, Curly seems to be a tad off in this short and seems to be losing his energy around this time, Moe also doesn't dish out much punishment and it's one of the few shorts where Moe doesn't hit Larry.

I give this short a 6/10 because the diner scenes were up there with the stooges best work.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Though "Busy Buddies" is wildly uneven, there's much to enjoy in the first half.  Unfortunately, the cow-milking contest (a less-than-ideal comedic premise) simply fizzles. Try though he might, Del Lord's screenwriting never approached the level of his directorial mastery. 

7/10