Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Gents Without Cents (1944)

metaldams · 54 · 18247

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/81
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036860/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Over the years, there have been a few experimental shorts where we either have musical numbers or the team gets broken up, and GENTS WITHOUT CENTS certainly fits into this category for the former. I would call this the greatest of the experimental films and a classic overall, though I have a feeling not everybody else shares this opinion.  We shall see.  This short has definitely grown on me over the years, as my opinion has not always been so high.

This plays like a fun variety show, and it makes me wonder if the boys were like this during live appearances.  You have the Stooges doing fun song and dance numbers impersonating the Axis in Europe, the classic Niagara Falls routine, and three pretty girls who have the talent to match.  Mary, Shirley, and Flo, or in reality Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty, are an absolute joy to watch.  These girls are virtuosos at their acrobatic dance routines, making this much better than the usual filler that appears on the screen when the comedians we want to watch aren't on.  I like these girls, you can tell they had a legitimate act as opposed to being Hollywood product, they worked so well together.

The boys themselves are great, and yes we get the classic Niagara Falls routine.  This is an old Vaudeville routine that Abbott and Costello also used in both LOST IN A HAREM and their TV show with Sidney Fields, and as great as they are, I like the a Stooges version the best.  What's great is that you get to see both Moe and Larry do their own interpretation of the scene, and Curly, with his gobbling reactions, does the patsy part the best.  Also, the ending variation with the car?  One of the all time great Stooge endings.  This short is a pure pleasure to watch.

10/10

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:25:50 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yep, after a few weeks of lesser stooge shorts, we are back to primo Moe, Larry and Curly. I don't have a problem with musical numbers or singing and dancing--provided that's it's entertaining. Unlike some of the early A & C features, the singing and dancing found within Gents is highly entertaining.

Maybe it's because all the singing is done by the stooges--but the team of Lindsay, Laverne and Betty hold my interest as well. I don't find myself looking at my watch whenever they are on.

And I think by this point in the stooge shorts, the sound crew finally found a good sound effect for the eye poke.

Overall, I rate this a 8.5 out of 10 pokes....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I really like this short... except for the girls acrobatic routine.  While I appreciate their talent, it just doesn't belong in a Stooges short, and I DVR this short just so I can fast forward through it.

Now as for the rest of the short?  I find it a thoroughly enjoyable short with a good plot and, for once, a nice ending.  The boys start off as struggling actors looking to get that big break, and, unlike every other similar plot in Stoogedom, the Boys actually break through!  From the start we see a wide variety of emotions brought out, although my favorite moment is Curly with the record player in the girls apartment.

As for the oft abused "Slowly I Turned" routine... this routine is also used in an I LOVE LUCY episode where Lucy gets brought in as the backup to the clown (when they were looking for a ballet dancer!) and ends up turning on a song and dance number!  However, I like the Stooges better with the Niagara Falls and both Larry and Moe beating on Curly.

IMO, this is one of Larry's greatest moments as a Stooge, as I personally believe he overshadows Moe throughout the short.  He gets the ultimate punchline with the "Well, we came up to break your neck!"  Then he dominates the scene in Mr. Manny's office.  His further facial and verbal expressions during the "Slowly I Turned" were also much better than Moe's.  Even at the end of the short with the car running Curly down, Larry is more sinister than Moe; Larry plays the insane killer well.  He again takes over with his faces during the army routine.  Larry gets a 10/10 for his role in this one. 

Overall, a 9/10 because the boys were so awesome in this, but negged a point for the boring acrobatic routine.

And God bless Laverne Thompson; she's still alive!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I really like this short... except for the girls acrobatic routine.  While I appreciate their talent, it just doesn't belong in a Stooges short, and I DVR this short just so I can fast forward through it.

Now as for the rest of the short?  I find it a thoroughly enjoyable short with a good plot and, for once, a nice ending.  The boys start off as struggling actors looking to get that big break, and, unlike every other similar plot in Stoogedom, the Boys actually break through!  From the start we see a wide variety of emotions brought out, although my favorite moment is Curly with the record player in the girls apartment.

As for the oft abused "Slowly I Turned" routine... this routine is also used in an I LOVE LUCY episode where Lucy gets brought in as the backup to the clown (when they were looking for a ballet dancer!) and ends up turning on a song and dance number!  However, I like the Stooges better with the Niagara Falls and both Larry and Moe beating on Curly.

IMO, this is one of Larry's greatest moments as a Stooge, as I personally believe he overshadows Moe throughout the short.  He gets the ultimate punchline with the "Well, we came up to break your neck!"  Then he dominates the scene in Mr. Manny's office.  His further facial and verbal expressions during the "Slowly I Turned" were also much better than Moe's.  Even at the end of the short with the car running Curly down, Larry is more sinister than Moe; Larry plays the insane killer well.  He again takes over with his faces during the army routine.  Larry gets a 10/10 for his role in this one. 

Overall, a 9/10 because the boys were so awesome in this, but negged a point for the boring acrobatic routine.

And God bless Laverne Thompson; she's still alive!

Betty Phares may still be living as well, as there's no date of death listed on the threestooges.net database.  But yeah, Laverne Thompson's almost 90.  A very beautiful and talented woman for sure.

I also agree about this being one of Larry's better performances, truly a short where all Three Stooges are given a chance to shine, and they all take advantage of the situation.
- Doug Sarnecky

Well, maybe.  Take away Niagara Falls and what have you got?  And you can't give Larry a 10, because he blows the unison Step By Step line with Moe.  This may be one of the reasons why this routine didn't make it into the feature.  ( There may be other reasons, of course, but Larry's is a definite fluff.)  And I don't quite see how he dominates the agent's office scene.
     I also definitely prefer the Swingaroo Joe dance to anything in this one, no disrespect to this set of ladies, I think all six are lovely and very good dancers.

Oh, and the difference between Lucy and the Stooges is that the Stooges are funny.

Offline luke795

Wasn't No Dough Boys made before Gents Without Cents because No Dough Boys still uses the faster rendition of "Three Blind Mice" as the Stooges' theme music and Gents Without Cents premieres a swing rendition of "Three Blind Mice" as the Stooges' theme music?

Offline Lefty

Another top ten short we have here.  Naturally, the "Niagara Falls" scenes are the best, followed by the action in Manny Weeks' office and the verbal scenario with Lynton Brent.  The gals did go on a bit too long with their dancing, but it beats Hoofs and Goofs any day.

Larry saying "Inch by inch" instead of "Step by step" and then practically whispering "Inch by inch" when it was right probably is the biggest blunder of a line in Stooges' history -- definitely more so than Emil Sitka in "All Gummed Up" shouting, "You haven't heard of me the last of me yet!"

And on many an occasion I have had people actually believing that there is a town in New York state called "Goslow" that is 25 miles east of Niagara Falls, based on the "Go Slow" sign and that the sign for Niagara Falls had the arrow pointing to the left.

Saying the dancing beats Hoofs And Goofs sets the bar pretty damn low.  Saying anything beats Hoofs and Goofs sets the bar pretty damn low.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Betty Phares may still be living as well, as there's no date of death listed on the threestooges.net database.  But yeah, Laverne Thompson's almost 90.  A very beautiful and talented woman for sure.

I think this applies to every Stooge actress except Nora and Baggie.

Well, maybe.  Take away Niagara Falls and what have you got?  And you can't give Larry a 10, because he blows the unison Step By Step line with Moe.  This may be one of the reasons why this routine didn't make it into the feature.  ( There may be other reasons, of course, but Larry's is a definite fluff.)  And I don't quite see how he dominates the agent's office scene.
     I also definitely prefer the Swingaroo Joe dance to anything in this one, no disrespect to this set of ladies, I think all six are lovely and very good dancers.

But his acting was outstanding.  I can forgive mistakes when the acting is still great because, as Garfield and Friends can tell you, MISTAKES WILL HAPPEN: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tdc2_garfield-mistakes-will-happen_fun.  And in the office, he just seems to get into the "Ratouille" routine a lot more.

Saying the dancing beats Hoofs And Goofs sets the bar pretty damn low.  Saying anything beats Hoofs and Goofs sets the bar pretty damn low.

He set it at 0.  Hard to go below rock bottom.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Wasn't No Dough Boys made before Gents Without Cents because No Dough Boys still uses the faster rendition of "Three Blind Mice" as the Stooges' theme music and Gents Without Cents premieres a swing rendition of "Three Blind Mice" as the Stooges' theme music?

Indeed it was!  NO DOUGH BOYS was made in April, and GENTS WITHOUT CENTS was made in June.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I think this applies to every Stooge actress except Nora and Baggie.

The beauty part...for the most part, yeah, but Laverne Thompson towards my tastes more so than average, she's pretty and a bit taller, which I've made no secret that I like.

The talent, though?  Most of these girls are marginally talented and are just pretty, let's be honest.  For every talented actress like Christine McIntyre and Lorna Gray, there's some pretty 20 year old who is playing a role anyone can handle.  The three ladies in this short?  Genuinely talented and I'd wager the average person on the street can't handle their acrobatic routines.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

.... and three pretty girls who have the talent to match.  Mary, Shirley, and Flo, or in reality Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty, are an absolute joy to watch.  These girls are virtuosos at their acrobatic dance routines, making this much better than the usual filler that appears on the screen when the comedians we want to watch aren't on.  I like these girls, you can tell they had a legitimate act as opposed to being Hollywood product, they worked so well together.

Nothing was more fun than watching the film with them at the 2003 Fan Club Meeting in Fort Washington, PA.  Imagine having your talent and youth captured on film, and then viewing it 60 years later with a crowd of adoring fans.  Believe it or not -- Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty seemed surprised that anyone remembered them, that footage of their routines still existed, and that anyone was still interested in them.  The smiles on their faces upon hearing the crowd's reactions to their scenes was truly one of the great moments of Gary Lassin's annual Stooge get togethers.  How fortuitous that it happened when it did, as Lindsay passed away the following year.     

Offline metaldams

Nothing was more fun than watching the film with them at the 2003 Fan Club Meeting in Fort Washington, PA.  Imagine having your talent and youth captured on film, and then viewing it 60 years later with a crowd of adoring fans.  Believe it or not -- Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty seemed surprised that anyone remembered them, that footage of their routines still existed, and that anyone was still interested in them.  The smiles on their faces upon hearing the crowd's reactions to their scenes was truly one of the great moments of Gary Lassin's annual Stooge get togethers.  How fortuitous that it happened when it did, as Lindsay passed away the following year.   

That's wonderful!  You know, it boggles my mind how many of these actresses in Stooge films think nobody knows who they are.  I realize they aren't going to be recognized everywhere they go, but The Three Stooges are cultural icons, though I have a feeling more so later on than when the films were made.  Perhaps that has something to do with why these actresses are so shocked they're remembered.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
That's wonderful!  You know, it boggles my mind how many of these actresses in Stooge films think nobody knows who they are.  I realize they aren't going to be recognized everywhere they go, but The Three Stooges are cultural icons, though I have a feeling more so later on than when the films were made.  Perhaps that has something to do with why these actresses are so shocked they're remembered.

Too true.   It's a shame that someone could 60 in the shadows like that, but at least these ladies got the credit they deserved later in their lives.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
The beauty part...for the most part, yeah, but Laverne Thompson towards my tastes more so than average, she's pretty and a bit taller, which I've made no secret that I like.

The talent, though?  Most of these girls are marginally talented and are just pretty, let's be honest.  For every talented actress like Christine McIntyre and Lorna Gray, there's some pretty 20 year old who is playing a role anyone can handle.  The three ladies in this short?  Genuinely talented and I'd wager the average person on the street can't handle their acrobatic routines.

*Looks at next week's short*  You mean like Rebel Randall?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

*Looks at next week's short*  You mean like Rebel Randall?

She's actually three weeks from now, but point well taken.  Rebel's not terrible in the acting department, she's decent as Shemp's wife in WHERE THE PEST BEGINS, but yeah, what talent she had doesn't come close to overshadowing what she looks like in that swimsuit.  Christine McIntyre's talent can.

I'll give you a perfect example: Etherelda Leopold.  She was gorgeous, but with the lone exception of the Brooklyn harem girl in WEE WEE MONSIEUR, she had no acting roles that stood out.  Perhaps she had talent elsewhere so I by no means have the final word on her, but I've only seen it in that one place.  The "Oh Senator" line in IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE is hilariously bad.  She was mostly window dressing based on what I've seen.  There are more Etherelda's and less Christine's in Stoogedom.

Christine McIntyre and Symona Boniface are genuine talents.  Laverne, Lindsay, and Betty were too as far as acrobatic dancing, and I'm glad their act got caught on camera, especially after hearing about their late in life bow.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
She's actually three weeks from now, but point well taken.

*Checks again*  *Sees NO DOUGH BOYS*  :D  Poppa gander!

I'll give you a perfect example: Etherelda Leopold.  She was gorgeous, but with the lone exception of the Brooklyn harem girl in WEE WEE MONSIEUR, she had no acting roles that stood out.  Perhaps she had talent elsewhere so I by no means have the final word on her, but I've only seen it in that one place.  The "Oh Senator" line in IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE is hilariously bad.  She was mostly window dressing based on what I've seen.  There are more Etherelda's and less Christine's in Stoogedom.

Christine McIntyre and Symona Boniface are genuine talents.  Laverne, Lindsay, and Betty were too as far as acrobatic dancing, and I'm glad their act got caught on camera, especially after hearing about their late in life bow.

Yes, Christine and Symona were special, definitely.  And you are correct that there are some awful female fill-ins.  Just look at BRIDELESS GROOM!  A dozen hotties brought in to be... well... hotties, and not my type to boot!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, all this talk about beauty and lack of talent--I can't help but think of the...  shall I say "infamous" Lady Godiva (Whoa Charger!)... 

;D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Another example....Judy Malcolm.  Her biggest role is next week, but she appeared in a lot of shorts as secretaries and party guests, and also one of said ex girlfriends Paul Payne mentions in BRIDLESS GROOM.  Suzanne Ridgeway, a Shemp era actress who simply appeared in a lot of shorts.

....and Shemp Diesel, your example gets you a cigar.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Another example....Judy Malcolm.  Her biggest role is next week, but she appeared in a lot of shorts as secretaries and party guests, and also one of said ex girlfriends Paul Payne mentions in BRIDLESS GROOM.  Suzanne Ridgeway, a Shemp era actress who simply appeared in a lot of shorts.

....and Shemp Diesel, your example gets you a cigar.

And, lest we forget... Muriel Landers... looks /= talent and vice versa.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Kopfy2013

One of my all-time favorites. Definite 10.

Metaldams sums it up well.

Very cheery feel good short.
Niagara Falls

Offline Lefty

And, lest we forget... Muriel Landers... looks /= talent and vice versa.

From Hogan's Heroes -- a real beauty, eh?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
From Hogan's Heroes -- a real beauty, eh?

Ouch!  What a... *cough*figure?!*cough*
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

Ouch!  What a... *cough*figure?!*cough*

And she played in a second episode as General Burkhalter's niece, marrying a count played by Dick "Mr. Whipple" Wilson, who felt the same way about her looks as we all do.  She was mentioned as weighing 210 pounds.