Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Pests in a Mess (1945)

metaldams · 25 · 11477

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/83
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038167/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The only excuse for this short to exist is Curly's scene with Christine McIntyre.  Ms. McIntyre acts sexy and flirtatious in this one, and Curly's response is gobbling like a turkey and being afraid to take his shirt off for her.  Either he doesn't know how to act when a woman is presenting herself to him or perhaps maybe he's just chaste and pure and is saving himself for marriage, who knows?  His actions in this scene have a Harry Langdonish feel to them.  Definitely different than the Curly in SAVED BY THE BELLE who proclaims to Seniorita Rita that he's not so innocent and has "been around."  This is the best scene Curly and Christine ever had together, and it's a shame she wasn't around in 1940 or 1941, the possibilities!  Frankly, Ms. McIntyre is the highlight of this short, I also like her little orphan crying routine very much.

As for the rest of this short, the fly catcher thing is ridiculous but fun, and they would need 10,000 flies to get $100, not 100,000.  Since when are Stooges mathematicians anyway?  The rest of the short is just lame scare reaction stuff, the only part I find remotely funny is Larry jumping underground by that doorway.  Del Lord's material really is taking a downward spiral at this point which is a real shame because in his prime he was the best.  Perhaps he's overextending himself taking sole writing duties.  To me it takes both Ed Bernds replacing Del Lord and Shemp replacing a sick Curly to get any consistency again, so now in 1945, we're at a valley.  Not only are the boys wasted in this one, but so is Vernon Dent.

6/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:31:22 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

Fantastically atmospheric short-- one that takes us from the well-lit high-rise apartment/business side of town, to the darkly-lit isolation of the pet sematary(where did that spelling come from?!). Funny thing about this particular short..

This was always a favorite of mine when WTBS used to show these pictures from about 1979-1986, direct from 16mm and uncut minus splices from print damage and maybe a commercial at the halfway mark. My "vintage" slp speed vhs copy had sync issues, no doubt from the telecine equipment suffering from a film loop problem, so the voices and sound effects didn't quite match what was happening on screen during the second half in the graveyard.

Well, the shorts went away for a few years and resurfaced about 1991, all newly remastered and, apparently, broadcast from nice looking videotape copies that made me think it was time to try to re-record all these pictures again in sp mode and replace all the crappy and over worn tapes from years past. Until this short..

It had been sanitized for my protection! The whole "Mammy! Pappy!" bit had been muted and partially edited and I realized that these shorts had fallen victim to the whole pc revolution that was just getting its first wind at the time. I knew that it had been about 4 years since I had seen Bugs Bunny "Nip the Nips", the Stooges bemoan the "Japs", or even a Little Rascal run from anyone shouting "Eat 'em up!" But I would soon discover other Stooge shorts were edited for broadcast.. Uncivil Warriors, Spook Louder.. Uncivil Warbirds had the blackface bit all but gone save for a quick reaction shot. And then, the worst thing that could happen, did: The Family Channel! Shorts edited to 10 minutes! Some cut short before they even got started! Bleccchh!! Thus began a dark period for the Stooges on tv.

But, this short is and always has been a personal favorite (despite the whole awkward "A hundred thousand" bit)!

Offline metaldams

Fantastically atmospheric short-- one that takes us from the well-lit high-rise apartment/business side of town, to the darkly-lit isolation of the pet sematary(where did that spelling come from?!). Funny thing about this particular short..

This was always a favorite of mine when WTBS used to show these pictures from about 1979-1986, direct from 16mm and uncut minus splices from print damage and maybe a commercial at the halfway mark. My "vintage" slp speed vhs copy had sync issues, no doubt from the telecine equipment suffering from a film loop problem, so the voices and sound effects didn't quite match what was happening on screen during the second half in the graveyard.

Well, the shorts went away for a few years and resurfaced about 1991, all newly remastered and, apparently, broadcast from nice looking videotape copies that made me think it was time to try to re-record all these pictures again in sp mode and replace all the crappy and over worn tapes from years past. Until this short..

It had been sanitized for my protection! The whole "Mammy! Pappy!" bit had been muted and partially edited and I realized that these shorts had fallen victim to the whole pc revolution that was just getting its first wind at the time. I knew that it had been about 4 years since I had seen Bugs Bunny "Nip the Nips", the Stooges bemoan the "Japs", or even a Little Rascal run from anyone shouting "Eat 'em up!" But I would soon discover other Stooge shorts were edited for broadcast.. Uncivil Warriors, Spook Louder.. Uncivil Warbirds had the blackface bit all but gone save for a quick reaction shot. And then, the worst thing that could happen, did: The Family Channel! Shorts edited to 10 minutes! Some cut short before they even got started! Bleccchh!! Thus began a dark period for the Stooges on tv.

But, this short is and always has been a personal favorite (despite the whole awkward "A hundred thousand" bit)!

I will agree with the atmospheric part.  The film does have a great look to it, especially the graveyard scenes.  It's just a shame I don't like the scare comedy that much, but good for those of you that do.

Nice insights and history.  Like I stated in THE YOKE'S ON ME thread, I do believe private stations have a right to air or not air what they deem appropriate, but I also think now that we live with the Internet and can easily find out what is or isn't being censored, we as the consumer can now raise our objections based on our knowledge and let these stations and know what we want, which are complete films.  I watch these films on DVD, and Sony did a wonderful job releasing these films complete, blackface gags and all.  When companies don't do release complete films or even eliminate films, this is what happens....

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Jerry-Golden-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008POPRS8/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1416634297&sr=1-3&keywords=tom+and+jerry+golden+collection+volume+2

Also want to add I wasn't watching much Stooges at all in the 90's.  While I always looked back at them fondly during the 90's, I was a teenager and into other things, not rediscovering them until my early 20's.  Based on your accounts of the Stooges on 90's television, perhaps this was for the best!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I don't find anything wrong with this short. Of coarse Curly can't add correctly. There are plenty of good lines and sight gags and the story moves at a good pace. Not at 100 %, Curly is still in pretty good shape for this one. I also think this is one of Christine McIntyres better roles. All in all I like this short a lot and rate it at a solid 8.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A good short--as has been mentioned, the 2 Hearts scene is the definite highlight of the short; that scene is so good it leads you to believe this will be a great short. But unfortunately, the graveyard scenes drag down the short a lot. But, I won't rant about the stooges doing "spookhouse" antics again...

7 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

This is a decent short.  Christine McIntyre played a perfect villainess, even getting her comeuppance when she got splashed with water.  "They tried to drown me!  As a matter of fact, they did!"  And while I don't like horror films, the "scare comedy" pet cemetery scenes had some good moments, especially Larry sliding under the doorway (He's Safe!), and at the end where the pants jump up and the Stooges jump out of their shoes.  "They'll ride up with wear," said so many times on "Are You Being Served?"

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
What must be said has been said.  6/10  I hate the cemetery scenes even if the effects are good.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Signor Spumoni

What must be said has been said.  6/10  I hate the cemetery scenes even if the effects are good.

Why do you hate the cemetery scenes?  Have you seen Laurel and Hardy's silent, "Habeas Corpus?"  If so, do you also dislike those cemetery scenes?  I'm just curious.

Offline metaldams

Why do you hate the cemetery scenes?  Have you seen Laurel and Hardy's silent, "Habeas Corpus?"  If so, do you also dislike those cemetery scenes?  I'm just curious.

I'll put my own spin on this, obviously Paul Payne can do his own response if he wants.  In my opinion, most classic comedians bore me with scare comedy, and I mean GREAT classic comedians.  The only classic comedians I enjoy in scare comedies are Lou Costello, Bob Hope, and Dudley Dickerson.  Unless if you have some really unique slow burn reaction or some wit, the idea of grown men screaming at the sight of a dude in a devil's costume is a one note joke to me.

As far as "Habeus Corpus," I prefer Stan and Ollie with hammers and nails, The Three Stooges as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

I'll put my own spin on this, obviously Paul Payne can do his own response if he wants.  In my opinion, most classic comedians bore me with scare comedy, and I mean GREAT classic comedians.  The only classic comedians I enjoy in scare comedies are Lou Costello, Bob Hope, and Dudley Dickerson.  Unless if you have some really unique slow burn reaction or some wit, the idea of grown men screaming at the sight of a dude in a devil's costume is a one note joke to me.

As far as "Habeus Corpus," I prefer Stan and Ollie with hammers and nails, The Three Stooges as well.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  Would I be correct to suppose you also dislike "Spook Louder" for the same general reasons?  How about "The Laurel Hardy Murder Case?"  I don't mean to belabor the point; I am trying to see from your perspective.

I agree that Dudley Dickerson is very funny when scared (favorite:  "A Gem of A Jam").  I also enjoyed watching Bob Hope and Willie Best in "The Ghost Breakers" (favorite lines:  "They're just trying to scare us."  "Then they're wasting their time because we're already scared."). 

I think the silliness of grown men screaming in fright because they see other men in Halloween-style costumes is part of what amuses me.  But also I prefer comedy scares to the truly frightening movies/TV programs/books.  I guess I'm a coward in that way, but I don't mind because I'm a coward who can sleep at night.  :) 

Funny you should say that about seeing L & H with hammers and nails because only yesterday I watched parts of "Busy Bodies."  I wish I'd had the time to watch it all.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
In my own defense, I actually like SPOOK LOUDER.  I don't think it is supposed to be that scary really as much as it is corny and suspenseful.  I have never watched any other comedy team, so I am limited in my ability to address other teams.

Nevertheless, it is a really cheesy thing for the Stooges to be afraid of people obviously in costumes.  The sets are obviously sets.  Only Larry does a good scare reaction in this one.

But I love SPOOKS, as Shemp and Larry combine with that hottie (Norma Randall) really nicely.  I also like GEM OF A JAM for the better scares.  But likewise I don't like IF A BODY MEETS OF A BODY (never mind the other reasons).

Now Bill Shatner: there's as crappy "scared face" as one will ever find.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  Would I be correct to suppose you also dislike "Spook Louder" for the same general reasons?  How about "The Laurel Hardy Murder Case?"  I don't mean to belabor the point; I am trying to see from your perspective.

I agree that Dudley Dickerson is very funny when scared (favorite:  "A Gem of A Jam").  I also enjoyed watching Bob Hope and Willie Best in "The Ghost Breakers" (favorite lines:  "They're just trying to scare us."  "Then they're wasting their time because we're already scared."). 

I think the silliness of grown men screaming in fright because they see other men in Halloween-style costumes is part of what amuses me.  But also I prefer comedy scares to the truly frightening movies/TV programs/books.  I guess I'm a coward in that way, but I don't mind because I'm a coward who can sleep at night.  :) 

Funny you should say that about seeing L & H with hammers and nails because only yesterday I watched parts of "Busy Bodies."  I wish I'd had the time to watch it all.

My opinion on SPOOK LOUDER can be found in the link below, as with every short up until 1945 as I review one of these a week.  Let's just say I overall like SPOOK LOUDER better than THREE PESTS IN A MESS, but it's not an all-time favorite.

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5314.0.html

As for THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE, I consider it to be one of the team's weaker efforts, and I will briefly discuss this in a few weeks time when we get to the Stooge short IF A BODY MEETS A BODY, a remake of said Laurel and Hardy film.  IF A BODY MEETS A BODY will be one of those shorts where I have much more to say than the average film, so be prepared for several paragraphs!  Yippee!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

In my own defense, I actually like SPOOK LOUDER.  I don't think it is supposed to be that scary really as much as it is corny and suspenseful.  I have never watched any other comedy team, so I am limited in my ability to address other teams.

Never watched another comedy team?  You really need to go out less.   [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

But I love SPOOKS, as Shemp and Larry combine with that hottie (Norma Randall) really nicely.  I also like GEM OF A JAM for the better scares.  But likewise I don't like IF A BODY MEETS OF A BODY (never mind the other reasons).

By the way, I agree with all of this.  GEM OF A JAM is laregely because of Dudley Dickerson when it comes to the scare portion.
- Doug Sarnecky

Some episodes are worth the price of admission, so to speak, if only for one brief moment.  There's nothing wrong with this one at all, it has plenty of entertainment value, but the Golden Moment is Moe's " Come on with that rubbish guy! "  That's funny, I don't care who you are.  Get that line in your head and you'll never get it out.

Two other minor points:  they're not running around scared because they see guys in Halloween costumes, they're running around scared because they think they've killed somebody.  Granted the eerie costumes and the caretaker's decision to hide in a sack ( both of those sacks are mighty convenient, aren't they?  What would they have been used for otherwise? ) certainly don't serve to calm their nerves, but the core situation is they think they're murderers.
     What is dumb, though, is the water spouting through Curly's head. ( It's as dumb here as it is in Fiddlers Three, even though in Fiddlers Three they try to set it up better by having Shemp repeat " I must haveth water " at least a dozen times. )  Here Curly stops short in the midst of the most action-packed scene in the flick and decides to have a glass of water.  Um, wtf?
     Also, watch Moe very carefully hit Christine with water in the midriff rather than in the face, much lower than where he would have aimed if he had really been expecting Curly.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
     What is dumb, though, is the water spouting through Curly's head. ( It's as dumb here as it is in Fiddlers Three, even though in Fiddlers Three they try to set it up better by having Shemp repeat " I must haveth water " at least a dozen times. )  Here Curly stops short in the midst of the most action-packed scene in the flick and decides to have a glass of water.  Um, wtf?

I think the stupidity of stopping for a drink like that is just that... only a Stooge would be in danger and stop for a glass of water.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Kopfy2013

I agree the Stooges 'scare movies' are not their best work.  However, this is one of their best 'scare' shorts.  Masquerade party, a stiff mannequin, walking around a pet cemetery.  It is all good.  I give it an 8.

The first half of the short is great. Christine McIntyre will be used to check on what man has 2 hearts on their chest ....  I love the Curly and the shirts .... Christine's rhyme.... The fly trap invention.

I really like shooting the mannequin and the line - 'Hurry up, he is getting stiff'.

Offline metaldams

Two other minor points:  they're not running around scared because they see guys in Halloween costumes, they're running around scared because they think they've killed somebody.  Granted the eerie costumes and the caretaker's decision to hide in a sack ( both of those sacks are mighty convenient, aren't they?  What would they have been used for otherwise? ) certainly don't serve to calm their nerves, but the core situation is they think they're murderers.

You do make a good point about them being afraid because they think they are murderers.  I guess the fact this gag gets milked the way it does just doesn't work to my taste...not even The Three Stooges should be tricked that long that that's not a real dead body in there.  At least that's my feeling.

Good for you guys who enjoy this one, I also have to say this is one my six year old nephew has supposedly watched on YouTube and enjoys, so who am I to argue with him?
- Doug Sarnecky

Yeah, you do have to buy into the fact that they are utterly convinced that a dead body instantly gets as stiff as a mannequin to enjoy the schtick, but then again I started watching these when I was your nephew's age, so, what can I tell you, I bought in.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A rather schizophrenic effort from Del Lord with plenty of laughs but a weak ending. Notable for being one of the very last shorts with Curly at full strength and the only Stooge two-reeler minus a fadeout (instead, we get a jumpcut to the closing logo).  As noted in earlier posts, the scene with Curly and Christine McIntyre is worth the price of admission.

7/10
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:41:16 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

A pretty uneven Curly short here.  Some laughs to be sure, but some not so funny stretches.  Christine provides the highlights, as usual.

#137. Three Pests In A Mess

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

7/10, I agree the first half of this short was much stronger than the second half, I felt once they get to the graveyard the laughs start to wear thin, Curly seems to be in good shape in this episode considering that a few shorts later he'll be gravely ill, the first half has a lot of great material such as Larry & Moe's "Mammy, Papi" scene, Christine flirting with Curly and Christine getting pissed off when she realized Curly didn't have any money.

Offline metaldams

Between the first comment being made on this short in over a year today and the fact a picture from it showed up on my Stooge calendar, it’s fate that I had to rewatch THREE PESTS IN A MESS.  My verdict?  I was a cranky curmudgeon in my initial review.  Probably from fatigue viewing one short week after week.

Yes, it’s true the first half, when using the brain, is more unique and better with the presence of Christine - who I still maintain is wonderful here.  But the second half has aged well since my initial review.  It doesn’t stand up to analyzing, but letting go, it’s a lot of fun.  Just hearing and seeing the Stooge reactions and enjoying a graveyard setting in the style of old Hollywood was enough to keep me entertained this time around.  Plus it has Snub Pollard!  You get to hear his Aussie accent.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline I. Cheatam

7/10, I agree the first half of this short was much stronger than the second half, I felt once they get to the graveyard the laughs start to wear thin, Curly seems to be in good shape in this episode considering that a few shorts later he'll be gravely ill, the first half has a lot of great material such as Larry & Moe's "Mammy, Papi" scene, Christine flirting with Curly and Christine getting pissed off when she realized Curly didn't have any money.

And Johnny Kascier randomly standing at a window, getting the top of his hat blown off.