Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Bird in the Head (1946)

metaldams · 23 · 11509

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/89
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038359/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

OK, call me crazy, but I like this one.  I know, this is a sick Curly short, Edward Bernds stated Curly was on a down period, and I freely admit my ranking would be a point or two higher if Curly was in his prime, but I still find much to enjoy.  Curly is at his weakest when he's doing hardcore slapstick, such as the rolling of the wallpaper or his reactions when getting struck by Moe earlier on.  I do notice Larry wisely gets more of the slapstick than usual earlier in the short, which is good for Larry, the guy deserves more spotlight.  Curly is best when he does more subtle stuff like enjoying the taste of the paint as he displays a satisfied expression.

Another point I want to make about Curly is him becoming pals with the gorilla.  It works, and I don't feel this would work with many comedians, maybe MGM Harpo, but not many others.  Curly has this child like quality to him that works and it seems feasible he could become friendly with and tame a wild animal.  At least that's how I feel, and it's probably the reason why kids love Curly so much and then appreciate Shemp as they get older.

Vernon Dent has one of his great roles as Professor Panzer.  The Panzer part of his name, along with the accent, is obviously German influenced and is what I feel to be the last World War II influence in a Stooge short (G.I. WANNA HOME being post-war).  Keep in mind this was shot late during the war in April of 1945, exactly when FDR died, as they shut down production for the day to mourn the president's death.  Vernon is a lot of fun to watch and I love his servant in Frank Lackteen.  Imagine being weak enough to call a loon like Professor Panzer, "Master."

What else?  Oh yeah, there's the wonderful cartoon bit of Curly inside the x-ray and having the cuckoo clock protrude limply out of his skull.  One of those great all-time Stooge visuals.  I also love Larry's line where he envies Curly for having a screen test!  Bizarre, but not as bizarre as a gorilla who drinks grain alcohol and wields a machine gun.  Amazing nobody got killed, but hey, I like my Stooge shorts bizarre.

A good effort which admittedly would've been even better with a 1942 Curly instead of a 1945 Curly.  I can understand why Edward Bernds would want the superior MICRO-PHONIES to be released as his debut over this one, but I'll be in the minority and give this one a thumbs up.  Go ahead friends, throw your tomatoes.

8/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, when it comes to weakest Curly short, I would say it's a photo finish between this one and Mutts to You. Actually, now that I think about it, I would probably take Bird over Mutts--damning the short with faint praise as I am.

It's hard for me to imagine a 100% Curly making good lemonade out of the shriveled up citrus that was this short--not that it doesn't have its moments; maybe the best being Moe's crack about a "bird in the head is worth 2 in the bush" and his look of self satisfaction after making said crack.

Overall, I can definitely understand why Mr. Bernds didn't have fond memories of this one--of course, he also had bad recollections of a later "Sick Curly" short, but I'll wait a few weeks before discussing that one.

3 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I will give this one a solid 7/10, due to Curly's illness.

This short is a full capsule.  While in a horror film setting, it is anything but a horror film, and in fact it satirizes horror more than promotes it.

As for Curly's illness, it is really evident in this short.  But that's not say it brings the short down to the floor.  The short was clearly written to accompany his slowness.  Nevertheless, when Prof. Panzer is smacking the hammer and hits the wrong note, Curly lets a yell at a pitch we hadn't heard since IDIOTS DELUXE.  He was having a good day, and I think the slower Curly is actually a good fit for this short, although faster Curly is always better.

Vernon Dent indeed has an excellent day as the insane Kraut German Prof. Panzer.  I really want to know how he managed to keep himself so bug-eyed throughout the short.  It is a bit strange that he flops between total insanity and total sanity, but, hey, that's what being evil does to you.  He truly outdoes himself here.

I must comment on the setting.  Having worked in a chemistry lab, I must say that Prof. Panzer is a very irresponsible man having all those containers of chemicals out there with no covers on them and all those chemicals disorganized.  But then again I must say that all the professors in the building I worked did the same, and they were trained professionals with their Ph.D.'s!

The ones I think take away from this are Moe and Larry.  They play their roles are at a flat line in the second half that won't be seen again until HOOFS AND GOOFS.

The paperhanging scene is one of the better parts of the film, second to the gorilla-with-the-machine-gun scene.  Anytime the Stooges are given a job to do as ordinary blue collar laborers, they fail.  In fact, they succeed better at being more educated workers like police detectives (think DIZZY DETECTIVES, CRIME ON THEIR HANDS, etc.) than they do at being manual laborers.  Robert Williams reaction to their incompetence is precious, and the "This is silly... This is silly; this is SILLY!  It CAN'T be!" is a quote I love to death, and then Moe's snarky reply just tickles me pink.   Unfortunately, this is Williams' only major Stooge role.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I am not sure which of the shorts with Curly is the weakest, but this is certainly near the bottom. To its credit, it doesn't make Curly's disabilities as conspicuous as some of the others. But the plotting is lame and the gags are, with one notable exception (to be described in a moment), undistinguished. The examination of Curly's head by Professor Panzer, especially the musical part (rapping it with a mallet) and the visual part (an animated cartoon cuckoo clock appearing on the fluoroscope) is one of the better ones.

The high point of the short for me comes early on, when Mr. Beedle enters the room that the Stooges have just finished papering and finds everything, including the light fixtures and a ladder that was leaning against the wall, covered in wallpaper. His shock and dismay as he says, "Oh, no, no!" and even "Oh, this is silly!" as he gropes along the wall, discovering the atrocities perpetrated by the Stooges, especially as juxtaposed with their pride in what they fancy to be a job well done, is priceless. A really outstanding contribution by Robert Williams.

Vernon Dent's Professor Panzer seems stale to me, not nearly as amusing as the various foul-tempered, cake-attracting characters that he plays in other shorts. I would never have guessed from his generic "bad guy" accent that he was supposed to be German, though his name makes it clear that he is.

In the final scene, when the ape gets the machine gun, Professor Panzer, instead of just getting bullets richocheting metallically off his posterior as the Stooges do, gets a series of bullet holes across his lower back which causes him to collapse. To me this is just horrifying and not funny at all. A dismal ending to an unsatisfying short.

Offline metaldams

Since it's not readily apparent on the main page because the review is edited in and I expect this page to get a good amount of views, I want to use this space to advertise that my AT THE CIRCUS review is up for those interested.  Enjoy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

To you guys mentioning Robert Williams and his dismayed reaction upon viewing the badly wallpapered room, I agree 100%.  He does an excellent job there and is quite funny in his own right.
- Doug Sarnecky

I don't know, I just don't know...I'm less bothered by the Sick Curlys than a lot of people are, but this one, I just don't know.  Guys in gorilla suits do nothing for me, either, never have.  I agree that this one might have been lame even with a healthy Curly.  Odd that this week both this thread and the Marx brothers thread have guys in fake-looking gorilla suits.  My favorite in this one is "Well, gentlemen, here are your quarters" "Oh, goody, two bits apiece!" and when a dinky throw-away line like that is your best laugh, you're in trouble.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I am not surprised by the negative feelings toward this short.  I don't go for gorillas much either.

Vernon Dent's Professor Panzer seems stale to me, not nearly as amusing as the various foul-tempered, cake-attracting characters that he plays in other shorts. I would never have guessed from his generic "bad guy" accent that he was supposed to be German, though his name makes it clear that he is.

He's using a Russian accent, for some dumb reason, but I don't expect him to know that.
#1 fire kibitzer

"Quiz Kids", by the way, was a radio show at that time which featured very smart children.

ThumpTheShoes

Firstly, I like this one. Just "like". It might be the only short I've not watched 1000's of times like the others. 100's, but not 1000's. I find myself not remembering what's going to happen next, which isn't always bad, but most of it doesn't stand out and the ending is just that-- an end. They scoot down the hall.

The goofy image of the gorilla with the gun is as memorable as the cartoon bird. The sets remind me of the old "haunted" house amusements we used to set up for Halloween back in the day.

Robert Williams.. Nah, never cared for his reaction to the papered room. Something's off about his delivery, like he's holding back. I don't believe that he is reacting to the room, and he doesn't seem really angry. It looks like a practice run to me, a cringe-worthy moment.

I never took it as Panzer dying, either. He gets shot in the butt (well, lower back area!) much like the boys, hits his head and the last thing we see is him shaking it off. He is, in fact, standing up with his eyes open as the image cuts back to the gorilla. Compared to, say, the end of Half-Shot Shooters, or Three Dark Horses (the legs hanging out of the bathtub?), I'd say this short has as close to an upbeat ending as you can get!

I wonder if Jules White could have done more with the direction? Ed Bernds tended to turn the boys loose to do their thing, and it just wasn't a good idea to try to showcase Curly during this time. In some interview or other, Bernds mentioned being disappointed with the whole Curly/wallpaper thing, and I get the impression that his dismay comes across on the screen in this picture's lack of energy/pacing. It feels like a production that was hurried along just to get it over with. Succinctly, it looks like Curly's not the only one having an off-day in this short and I think the director hit a point where he didn't care..

Based on some of his comments in later years, I wonder why Bernds bothered to come back to direct the boys during the DeRita years? I know, don't get too far ahead.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

A Bird in The Head is sort of like a swan song to Curly, that does not have the name of Half-Wits Holiday.. I mean, sure it has its moments but most of the gags in here, well, you can clearly tell that Curly was supposed to do except Moe and Larry are doing most of the funny business. Like, what kind of  a Three Stooges movie is that? ( Well, at least a Curly one...)
 I've read that the production took five days to film, because of Curly's illness. Edward Bernds commented that it was hard to direct because of Curly having some strokes on the set and whatnot.
 The first half is so hard to watch. They're paperhangers, and you can see Curly not being Curly! It doesn't feel right, for this awesome comedic genius to be having strokes..
  The second half, however is comedy gold! I don't like the paperhanging sequences, but I love the stuff where they try to put Curly's brain inside the gorilla's brain! Vernon Dent is at his best, and Curly seems like he DID NOT just suffer major injuries!
  I would probably rate this out of 10 pokes,  [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke], only because of the second half. My final thoughts: Curly is noticeably ill, except this movie is still a must-see for Stooges fans! Goodbye!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Larrys#1

This is actually pretty good. If it weren't for Curly's failing health, I'd probably like this even more. But he does put in more effort than he did in the previous episode, so I give Curly a lot of credit here. I guess one of the reasons I tend to like this underrated episode is because it's one of the first episodes I've seen and it's what made me become a stooge fan.

Vernon Dent does a magnificent job as the mad scientist. He's evil and funny at the same time. Mr. Beedle is also great, though his part is rather small, sadly. My favorite part was the beginning when the stooges try to wallpaper the room. The stooges getting trapped in the room and then trying to hide from the gorilla was another great, hilarious scene. And I really like the ending too where the gorilla just grabs the machine gun from the scientist and starts shooting everything in sight.

Not a bad episode at that. I find it highly underrated.

8/10

Offline metaldams

....just to throw my two cents in, I never interpreted the end as Panzer dying either.  The whole ending seems like a cartoon to me with the gorilla and machine gun thing.  Everything is very exaggerated, while something like death would feel very real.  Nah, just feels like a live action cartoon, I don't get bummed like I do at the end of HALF-SHOT SHOOTERS, which is unquestionably a death.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

I've read that the production took five days to film, because of Curly's illness.

It went a fifth day when production shut down on April 12, after news of FDR's death.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Wait, isn't there supposed to be a new Weekly Episode Discussion right now? ( Metaldams, I'm still waiting for an Unaccustomed as We Are discussion thread..  ;))
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline metaldams

Wait, isn't there supposed to be a new Weekly Episode Discussion right now? ( Metaldams, I'm still waiting for an Unaccustomed as We Are discussion thread..  ;))

Well I see I'm in demand. :)  Give me time, I just got back from work and I'm getting my dinner now.  The new Stooge review will be up in a few hours.  As far as Laurel and Hardy, it'll be five weeks from now when we're done with The Marx Brothers, and I changed my mind that we'll be starting with the silents instead.  That should make you happy, I know it does me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

In the 1970s, when the Stooges were on a local UHF channel, now with the FOX Network, the Curly episodes had the 1940s Shemp shows mixed in, after which the 1950s Shemps would find space for the Joe shows.  It would be in alphabetical order but twice, meaning after "Yes, We Have No Bonanza," it was back to the beginning of the alphabet concluding with "Woman Haters."  So, the very first episode of Curly would be "A Bird in the Head," so when I saw it, it meant, "Ahhhh, Joe is over with for now."

Not until I purchased the DVDs did I see the scene with Curly and the gorilla drinking the alcohol.  Yes, in the olden days drinking booze was never shown on TV, not even in beer commercials.  The short overall is decent, and the paperhanging scene is the best part.

Offline Kopfy2013

I think Ed Bernds did a great job working around Curly's illness. It was a good short.

Curly was still likable.

I do believe Mr. Beedle overacted.  Vernon  Dent was excellent.

I will give this short a seven.
Niagara Falls

Offline BeatleShemp

I have always liked this short quite well.  Much much much better than If a Body Meets a Body.  Bernds made a way for Curly to be the star without having him do a bunch of physical stuff.  Bernds' best stuff is with Shemp but even here, he's done a great job.  A smart move was shifting stuff over to Larry, who could be so underutilized at times.  And the gorilla and Curly bonding.  That's not only funny but it's sweet in it's own bizarre way. 8/10

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Despite Edward Bernds stating Curly was on a down period for this short I've thought he gave a better performance here than he did in "If A Body Meets A Body" (a short they've previously filmed before this), Moe & Larry also didn't seem to be very energetic in this short and looked like they were going through the motions while filming this short, on the scene where Moe twists Curly's nose with a pair of scissors you can tell Moe is trying to go easy on Curly in this scene because of his health issues.

This is one short I would like better if Curly was healthier and Moe & Larry putting out more energy in their roles.

As for Vernon Dent I've thought his role as Panzer was one of my least favorite roles he's ever done, I prefer him in a more serious, authoritative roles.

This was an OK short but definitely far from one of their best.

Overall I give this short a 5/10.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I like all the Curly shorts directed by Edward Bernds. "A Bird in the Head" is no exception. Curly does his best under the circumstances, with Moe, Larry and Vernon Dent picking up the slack.  A solid directorial debut for Bernds.

7.5/10
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:09:51 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Every time I watch this one, I notice something I had missed before.  This short gets unfairly dismissed as a sick Curly when it actually is one of the more interesting sets and cultural artifacts of the period.  Man, that set got a lot of action across various teams.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

One of the better "sick Curly" efforts. Ranks at #84 on my list.