The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rhythm and Weep (1946)

metaldams · 35 · 15278

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/95
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038881/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHDta63IfDU

Watch the complete short in the link above

Here we are at short number 95 out of 190, which means this concludes the first half of our discussion on the Three Stooges Columbia shorts.  Thanks again to you guys and gals who are participating, you make it worth it.

Chronologically, and this I just learned recently, even though RHYTHM AND WEEP was released as the third to last Curly short, it was filmed a little after THREE LITTLE PIRATES, so this would be the second to last Curly performance on film.  Since Curly didn't actually complete HALF-WITS HOLIDAY, I suppose you can say this is Curly's last complete performance.

Shemp_Diesel has hinted in the past few weeks that he likes this short better than its reputation, and I have to agree.  I think it's because this whole variety show thing where the Stooges get some comedy and then some interaction with pretty girls who happen to dance is more appealing as I get older.  That said, this short, while entertaining, is not perfection like GENTS WITHOUT CENTS.  It's missing an iconic scene like the Niagara Falls bit.  What it is replaced by is the scene where Curly won't undress for Moe the army officer.  This scene, more than any other, calls for a prime Curly, but I have to say that this gag has been done by Buster Keaton a few times and it's never been a favorite of mine when he does it either.  Perhaps I just don't find humor in the situation.  The whole skit is the weakest part of the short, and there are even stories that Curly had a hard time getting the timing right for swallowing pills.  If true, I'm assuming this is the scene being spoken of.

The beginning is fine.  I've always enjoyed Curly's digest/die just right pun and the pie he gets in the face as a result.  Always gets a laugh out of me.  As for the suicide thing, for anybody who finds this morbid, you may want avoid something like Harold Lloyd's NEVER WEAKEN, which has this beat in spades on the morbid thing (and I still love that short), but in RHYTHM AND WEEP, the Stooges are so dumb they attempt suicide because they are told to by the theater manager.  It's as if they don't genuinely understand the concept, after all, Moe has to be at the cleaners by two!  I just can't take the suicide thing seriously, as the comics themselves don't, and they obviously don't go through with it.

Comically, the best part of this short is the whole swing routine number.  I maintain Curly in his later stage handles pantomime better than dialogue for the most part, and this is a nice example.  Watching him incompetently play a bass fiddle is funny, and the bows from the left and from the right of Curly and Larry respectively smacking Moe in the face never gets old.  The finale where the black ink gets in the sax that Curly ends up blowing on Moe and Larry's face is a nice touch.

Of course, another highlight of this short is Wilda, Tilda, and Hilda; yet more in a long line of pretty girls showing up in these Stooge shorts.  This time, the girls are fortunately given something to do.  I have to give
Tilda (Ruth Godfrey), credit as she does a nice job actually reacting to some of Larry's hijinx.  Check out her reactions when Larry is "playing by ear."  In addition to being a fun Larry bit, we get an actress actually acting instead of being a pretty wall ornament.  By the way, over the years there is a lot of speculation some of these girls in various shorts sleep around with directors in the shorts department, and while I have personal theories on some girls and directors, I would never air them publically.  That said, I think it's safe to say Ruth Godfrey is not one of them.  After all, she would later be billed as Ruth Godfrey White, as she was Jules White's daughter-in-law.  She would appear in some later Shemp and Besser era shorts as well.

The girls as a trio are pretty hot when doing their swing dancing, and they do display some genuine talent, but again, not quite the awesomeness of Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty in GENTS WITHOUT CENTS.  The latter you felt were capable of doing backflips off the ceiling, while the ballerina stuff is too gentle for my tastes.  Yes, the girls in this short are talented, but we just got spoiled earlier by those other ladies.  I have to say, personality wise I find these girls are likeable.

So overall, a good short.  Throw in a healthy Curly, a better ending gag and a slightly more acrobatic dance number and I'd rate this perfection.  As if stands now, good short, though I know not everyone agrees.

8/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Metal, I'm pleasantly surprised again by your review--I thought for sure I would be in the very tiny minority who likes this, given its reputation over the years as being one of the worst, regardless of 3rd stooge.

I'm not sure what it is about this short that grates people the wrong way--is it the fact that it's a "Sick Curly"? Is it the dancing & musical numbers? As I've said before, girls who look like that can dance for me anytime.

I think the whole "Suicide" angle is something else detractors of this one have pointed to--but again, seeing as Moe was going to the cleaners directly after he jumped, it doesn't bother me.   :)

There's just some plain funny bits in this one--some to point out; Larry as the auctioneer then getting eyepoked by Ruth; The Swingaroo Joe bit--especially Moe getting hit constantly with the instruments; I rather like the "Mike Lipincranz" sketch & of course, what is in my mind a hilarious ending with the stooges and the girls finding out their benefactor is a mental case.

8 out 10 pokes....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Metal, I'm pleasantly surprised again by your review--I thought for sure I would be in the very tiny minority who likes this, given its reputation over the years as being one of the worst, regardless of 3rd stooge.

Guess again, stranger!

I find this short to be quite enjoyable.  Much like in other shorts, the song and dance routines drive me batty, which is why I give this 7/10 instead of 8/10; I always watch this short taped so I can skip those.  That said, I do like song and dance routines, but I don't like these.  Acrobatics in comedy, while showcasing talent, do not fulfill my innate desire for comedic entertainment, although I LOVE LUCY does work humor into their song and dance routines...

For me, the whole "suicide" angle is what makes this short so great.  The entire way it's clear that something isn't right.  When they get thrown out of the joint at the beginning, if any human being actually behaved the way that manager did, he'd have been murdered a long time ago or boycotted out of business because, although it's acting, he sounds like a real human piece of [poop], and if someone did that to me, I'd give him my fists worth.

When the boys are getting ready to kill themselves and find the other girls ready to do the same, it just takes on that Stooge-y feel.  Only the Stooges could think that they are going to kill themselves and go to the cleaners afterward.  Of course, Curly nails his shoes down so that he'll survive, but then again he noticed that those "ants look like my uncles" as well.  And then Curly fell off the building and died.

Of course not!  This is the Stooges!  Only Curly could fall off the 97th story (yes, I am referencing HOW HIGH IS UP?) and survive.  Jack Norton gets full points for his role as do the female co-stars in spite of my dislike of the dance routine, they do a great job at their role, and I grade on how well the role is played, not the role, when I grade actresses.

Of course, another highlight of this short is Wilda, Tilda, and Hilda; yet more in a long line of pretty girls showing up in these Stooge shorts.  This time, the girls are fortunately given something to do.  I have to give
Tilda (Ruth Godfrey), credit as she does a nice job actually reacting to some of Larry's hijinx.  Check out her reactions when Larry is "playing by ear."  In addition to being a fun Larry bit, we get an actress actually acting instead of being a pretty wall ornament.  By the way, over the years there is a lot of speculation some of these girls in various shorts sleep around with directors in the shorts department, and while I have personal theories on some girls and directors, I would never air them publically.  That said, I think it's safe to say Ruth Godfrey is not one of them.  After all, she would later be billed as Ruth Godfrey White, as she was Jules White's daughter-in-law.  She would appear in some later Shemp and Besser era shorts as well.

The girls as a trio are pretty hot when doing their swing dancing, and they do display some genuine talent, but again, not quite the awesomeness of Lindsay, Laverne, and Betty in GENTS WITHOUT CENTS.  The latter you felt were capable of doing backflips off the ceiling, while the ballerina stuff is too gentle for my tastes.  Yes, the girls in this short are talented, but we just got spoiled earlier by those other ladies.  I have to say, personality wise I find these girls are likeable.

Be careful what you insinuate, metaldams, lest Nita Bieber come after you.

I personally like the Mike Lippincranz bit, but it could be better.  Curly does fine with the silence of his role.  He gets to do the little things that drive Moe nutty that would be seen later with Shemp.

And the man being insane?  Only the Stooges, but I will say I personally love the bit at the end when the white coats come for him.  Good stuff, and I am looking forward to starting Shemp in three weeks, although I have some praise for the next two weeks as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:04:39 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Be careful what you insinuate, metaldams, lest Nita Bieber come after you.

Definitely not her or any lady in this short I had in mind, remember the ladies in this short came in with a genuine talent.  The final thing I'll say is my theory involves someone no longer with us, but since I have no proof nor find it important enough to dig further, I'll leave it at that.

Glad both you guys like this short, but one thing we all failed to mention is Larry's fourth wall breaking when hugging Ruth Godfrey.  "Now this I like - and I get paid for it too!"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, great Larry moment I forgot about--also, when Curly dropped the hammer off the building; was that a Bud Jamison yell we heard?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Yes, great Larry moment I forgot about--also, when Curly dropped the hammer off the building; was that a Bud Jamison yell we heard?

Yes, I thought the same thing about Bud, definitely his yell.....and this is not his final Stooge appearance either.  Death does not keep Bud Jamison from working, he's too hardcore for that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Yes, I thought the same thing about Bud, definitely his yell.....and this is not his final Stooge appearance either.  Death does not keep Bud Jamison from working, he's too hardcore for that.

My goodness that is Bud now isn't it!

And I forgot about Larry breaking the fourth wall, but then again I haven't watched this short in almost a full year! [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

It's as if they don't genuinely understand the concept, after all, Moe has to be at the cleaners by two!  I just can't take the suicide thing seriously, as the comics themselves don't, and they obviously don't go through with it.

Good point!

Comically, the best part of this short is the whole swing routine number.  I maintain Curly in his later stage handles pantomime better than dialogue for the most part, and this is a nice example.  Watching him incompetently play a bass fiddle is funny, and the bows from the left and from the right of Curly and Larry respectively smacking Moe in the face never gets old.  The finale where the black ink gets in the sax that Curly ends up blowing on Moe and Larry's face is a nice touch.

For some reason the business of Curly blowing into the saxophone and dousing Moe and Larry with black ink is the one moment in this short that makes me laugh out loud. So I guess that's the comic high point of the short for me. I also treasure the corny joke, "So I can di-gest right, nyuk nyuk nyuk!" and Mr. Walsh's mad exit with his "choo-choo."

Larry at his best again on the roof, and I've seen a roomful of people go berserk for Swingaroo Joe.  I also like how they underplay the theater manager's name, Mr. Smellington.  The show doesn't kill me.  Curly's not really bad at all, physically, once you realize that his new voice is there to stay.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

First off, don't get me wrong, Stooge fans, this is a good short, but I think it is ruined a bit by the dancing girls ( especially Swingaroo Joe... their dance is one of the few things I skip in any Stooges movies) and the ending. C'mon, the Stooges' theater manager turns out to be a psycho??  I'm sorry, it just doesn't fit the Stooges. Abbott and Costello? Yes. Except, they would turn it into a 9-minute routine..
 Now, to the plot: Just as The Three Stooges ( performers that keep getting declined) are on top of a building, they see some girls ( theater dancers that won't get hired) that want to commit suicide. They decide not to, and find a theater manager who asks for a demonstration of their work for a play he's trying to organize. During rehearsals, everything goes right until we find the theater manager is actually a psycho.
 Once again, the plot really doesn't fit the Stooges. There's many, many gags in here that DO fit the Stooges, but other than that, the plot is really weak. And, also, once again, the dancing girls just don't mesh with The Stooges, and I enjoy Gents Without Cents much better than this movie.
 The opening gag definitely fits the Stooges, and feels like it's taken out of Beer and Pretzels with Ted Healy and the boys. However, then there's a scene of complete nonsense that won't fit practically any comedy team. Killing yourself is a dark theme for a Three Stooges COMEDY.
 I like how they try to revive some Stooges gags in this scene, except honestly a girl poking Larry in the eyes just doesn't feel right. And, anyways, Larry hardly gets poked in the eyes. He gets his hair pulled out by Moe more than he does get poked in the eyes by Moe. Once again, this short doesn't make sense.
 The part where they meet the theater manager.. The Three Stooges could've allowed this scene to be much more spontaneous if there wasn't the girls around. Sometimes, it feels like it drags on too long when the girls are on screen dancing their feet off, while it feels like it drags on too shortly when The Three Stooges are around. Of course, it ends with Curly getting paint in Moe and Larry's face, so it turns out all good.  [pie]
 I like how the show is called " Stooge Follies", which made me wonder how The Stooges would've fit in to doing follies as much as Our Gang/The Little Rascals did..
 I also like how The Three Stooges are in ballerina costumes, but only to introduce ( guess who? The scene stealing, in this case, ballerina) dancers. Once again, this feels too long, and I had to skip my DVD at some times because it felt too boring. No offense to the dancers, who do a good job dancing, but it all doesn't belong in a Stooges movie. Now, if they threw in some comedic bits, it would've made this a whole lot better.
 The scene where Moe and Larry try to get Curly to put his clothes on in the rehearsal is hilarious, and for some weird reason, in this short Curly's health seems more improved than in the last short. Of course, when we get to Three Little Pirates, I can see many comments about how Curly's health is improving on that episode discussion.
 Then, the ending when the theater manager turns out to be a psycho just doesn't go good for me in a Three Stooges movie. Then, The Three Stooges start acting crazy, and we fade out. It just makes no sense.
 This has nothing to do with Rhythm and Weep, except I just realized we're halfway through The Stooges' weekly episode discussions!!!!!!!
 So, overall, I think this does deserve a watch, but only because of The Stooges. The plot could be much better, and while the supporting players are fantastic, the script could've been written a little better for them..

8.5/10
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Lefty

For the most part, the short is okay.  My favorite lines are Curly's "So I can digest (die just) right," and calling those two men at the bottom his uncles.  The "Mike Lipincranz" skit is my favorite scene, followed by the Stooges and the girls up on the ledge.  Larry was right -- it's great to be paid a lot of money to hug a pretty woman.  Mr. Walsh could "only" afford to pay them $1,000 a week.  That "mere pin money" is not worth much these days.  And there is Black Louie looking quite different as Mr. Smellington.  I am probably in the majority in stating that the ballet scene was the least interesting part.  Now let's get some answers to some questions:

1.  Since the girls are always standing tippy-toe in ballet, why don't they just get taller girls?

2.  I have seen conflicting reports as to Gloria Patrice and Nita Bieber being called Hilda and Wilda.  Hilda was the short-haired woman, while Wilda had the longer brown hair.  So which one is which, and is Gloria Patrice still alive?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Universal Pictures connection again--Jack Norton, the memorable kook from this short pops up in Strange Confession, playing a lush....

Offline Larrys#1

I'm quite surprised at the amount of positive ratings here because I thought I was the only one that found this to be a pretty good episode. I always thought a lot of people hate it due to the excessive amount of dance performances. I, for one, enjoyed them. These three gorgeous actresses display a great amount of talent here and it's a joy to watch every minute of their dance performances. Curly is still declining in health, though he does seem to show a tad bit more energy than he did in the previous few episodes. It's a bit shocking to hear that Curly couldn't pop the pills in his own mouth, which is why Moe had to do it. He must be in really bad shape. I wonder if all these problems with Curly caused any alarm for Moe and the family. If I had a brother who is deteriorating and can't do a simple thing like popping pills, I'd be REALLY concerned.

The whole roof scene was enjoyable to watch and so was the ballet scene. The whole taking off the clothes thing with Moe and Curly was funny.

A decent episode during the sick-Curly era....

8/10

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I have to say, in all my years following the stooges, I never heard any stories about Curly and the pills until now. If said stories are true, then I don't see how any alarms shouldn't have gone off for Moe or the rest of the crew making these shorts. But as we all know, Curly kept working until he literally passed out, but I won't get into pointing fingers for who was to blame for that....

We have to ask ourselves, why, in the context of that sketch, would Curly be popping his own pills?  That's not funny.  The joke is that Moe is nailing Curly with a pill or two or three at regular intervals  and his aim is great.  My bet is that what we see is exactly the way it was scripted.

Offline Larrys#1

We have to ask ourselves, why, in the context of that sketch, would Curly be popping his own pills?  That's not funny.  The joke is that Moe is nailing Curly with a pill or two or three at regular intervals  and his aim is great.  My bet is that what we see is exactly the way it was scripted.

Well, the trivia section on this site says otherwise.... "The pill gag was originally written to have Curly pop the pills into his own mouth, but his physical coordination was poor due to his failing heath. The gag, then, had to be changed and Moe ended up popping the pills into Curly's mouth."

This site is being maintained by some of the greatest stooge experts in the world. I don't doubt anything I read here... :)

Gotta be pretty damn sick not to be able to find your own mouth.  I'm willing to have this explained to me: how did the original gag read when Curly is popping his own pills?

Offline Larrys#1

Yeah, it is a little messed up when you think about this. As I said, how did this not cause an alarm? It seems as though the main focus was to churn out as many episodes as possible and less focus on what the hell is happening to Curly? I'm not trying to point fingers on anyone and say it was their fault why Curly was sick.... but if these behind the scenes stories are indeed true, then how in heck did they not see Curly's stroke coming?

Offline metaldams

Food for thought - Curly was in the process of divorcing his third wife, had a daughter to support, it sounds like he had tons of dogs and was quick to spend, at least based on what I've read.  I don't know for sure, but if I had to venture a guess, he probably had to work.  What else could the guy do for a living?  I'm not quite sure. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Food for thought - Curly was in the process of divorcing his third wife, had a daughter to support, it sounds like he had tons of dogs and was quick to spend, at least based on what I've read.  I don't know for sure, but if I had to venture a guess, he probably had to work.  What else could the guy do for a living?  I'm not quite sure.

True.... I guess that's why he continued to have strokes even after he was forced to leave. All those problems and expenses without being able to work.... ouch!!

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Gosh, I didn't realize how sick Curly was during the making of this movie.. Well, at least today, we get to see a better Curly when we discuss 3 Little Pirates. I can't believe we're almost at the end of the Curlys...
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline VaudevilleFan

I have to say, in all my years following the stooges, I never heard any stories about Curly and the pills until now. If said stories are true, then I don't see how any alarms shouldn't have gone off for Moe or the rest of the crew making these shorts. But as we all know, Curly kept working until he literally passed out, but I won't get into pointing fingers for who was to blame for that....

I never heard about Curly and the pills either..

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yeah, it is a little messed up when you think about this. As I said, how did this not cause an alarm? It seems as though the main focus was to churn out as many episodes as possible and less focus on what the hell is happening to Curly? I'm not trying to point fingers on anyone and say it was their fault why Curly was sick.... but if these behind the scenes stories are indeed true, then how in heck did they not see Curly's stroke coming?

We don't know that Curly's family weren't alarmed.  Imagine talking to a family member who's sick.  You tell him you're worried, that you think he should consider retiring, etc.  He says he needs to work for money, and you suspect he also needs it to feel like he still "has it."  Maybe you and other family members are worried sick and talk about the possibility of a stroke or heart attack or just dropping dead, which happened more often then than it does now.  Ultimately, the decision is not yours.  Or maybe his family were in denial as to how bad Curly was.  But I just can't believe that no one talked about it, whether with Curly or just with other family members.

As far as this short goes, I enjoy musical numbers including those here.  I like the tune called in this short "Swingeroo Joe," which is a better name than the real one, in my opinion.  It would have been interesting to see the scene where the girls impersonate the Stooges.

Offline Kopfy2013

An unusual short to say the least. 

My observations:

Curly shows a little more life in the short....Larry shines. To me this was one of his best on screen performances to date.  I am not sure about the dancing. I liked it better in Gents Without Cents.

I have no problem with the suicide theme.  It's just another reason why Stooges were Stooges.

I am going to give it a seven.