Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Fiddlers Three (1948)

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/107
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040350/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NjLGlt2Io

Watch FIDDLERS THREE in the link above

FIDDLERS THREE is like going to the local convenience store, bored out of your skull, and picking up that Ben and Jerry's ice cream that you scoop down in one sitting.  There's nothing particularly good for you in whatever combination of ice cream your heart desires, but you somehow find that ice cream satisfying just the same. FIDDLERS THREE is Stoogian junk food, and we all need that once in a while. On any intellectual level, I can't consider this a good short, but gosh darn it and golly gee, I like it anyway. 

The story itself is awful, and actually outs itself as such.  I mean, really, wouldn't the princess just tell her father she's been abducted before old Mergatroyd could marry her?  Isn't it obvious his scheme wouldn't work? Dumbest-Stooge-villain-ever!  Oh well, the plot is all that sugar and other carb like stuff that gives us love handles, blocked arteries, diabetes, and man boobs.  OK, maybe that laughing scene too.  Nothing stranger than watching awkward close ups of adults forcing laughter. 

This short is really all over the place, but there are the little moments, the fun things that are like the Reese's peanut butter cup, or the chocolate fudge taste, or the sticky marshmallow, or whatever the hell else is in those ice cream things.  Why should I be a party pooper and disparage the joys of Moe tying a hammer around a horse's tail and getting bludgeoned by said tail?  Or Shemp's foot being used as a horse shoe and the dance he does?  Or how about hearing the boys sing, or watching a bunch of grown men mindlessly follow this female creature around just because her legs are much nicer than yours or mine?  I enjoy every single close up of the boys almost getting sawed inside the box and the shame old 42 IQ Mergatroyd shows as he saws a pair of underwear out of the magic box in front of the King. 

Overall, a 17 and a half minute time waster.  Definitely not the chicken cordon bleu and white wine that is CASH AND CARRY, but thank God for junk food.

8/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I remember the old poster "Uncle Mortimer" referring to this short as the B-side of a record--the previous Squareheads being the A-side. There's certainly a feeling of deja-vu going on if you watch those shorts back-to-back. The ancient period settings, Phil Van Zandt as the main villain, Vernon Dent as the King, the same sets from The Bandit of Sherwood Forest being used.

Fiddlers has a lot of good going for it--once you get done with the boys (or more to the point) Larry's fiddling, there's some great funny moments from this one. The first thing that pops to mind is some of the language used in this short--"Nay, I have not the heart to beat an innocent shoe; Thou art a dumb cluck. Or Moe's line to Larry "buttoneth up thy lip."

The magician's assistant adds some nice visual delight to the short as well....

7 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
After SQUAREHEADS, this feels a bit redundant.  However, Alicia Hunter also makes for a hot princess even if she's not the actress Christine McIntyre is.

Having done a forced laughter routine, when the timing is right, one actually can start to genuinely laugh when thinking about the ridiculousness of forced laughter.

I remember the old poster "Uncle Mortimer" referring to this short as the B-side of a record--the previous Squareheads being the A-side. There's certainly a feeling of deja-vu going on if you watch those shorts back-to-back. The ancient period settings, Phil Van Zandt as the main villain, Vernon Dent as the King, the same sets from The Bandit of Sherwood Forest being used.

Fiddlers has a lot of good going for it--once you get done with the boys (or more to the point) Larry's fiddling, there's some great funny moments from this one. The first thing that pops to mind is some of the language used in this short--"Nay, I have not the heart to beat an innocent shoe; Thou art a dumb cluck. Or Moe's line to Larry "buttoneth up thy lip."

7 out of 10....

B-side?  Compared to SQUAREHEADS, MUSTY MUSKETEERS, or even the remake of this short, KNUTZY KNIGHTS (if I am recalling all of these correctly as I have not seen any in years), this is the C-side of the record.

The plot here is an insult to our intelligence, BUT the actors do a fine job with the cowpies that they are given.  8/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

7 out of 10....

I too have always liked Uncle Mort's b-side analogy between this and SQUAREHEADS, as I agree with it.  We still keep in touch.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

After SQUAREHEADS, this feels a bit redundant.  However, Alicia Hunter also makes for a hot princess even if she's not the actress Christine McIntyre is.

Virginia Hunter, while definitely no Christine in the acting department, is still not bad, as she proves in SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS.  I was actually a little disappointed they didn't give her more to do here than act as a decorative prop.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Fiddlers Three is nothing to brag about, considering that my favorite part of it was the Stooges getting sawed and knifed in the box.  Granted, Shemp getting horseshoed was funny.

Sherry O'Neill, the girl everyone was whistling for and following, popped up 15 years later in a McHale's Navy episode entitled "Beauty and the Beast."  She was the Beast, and not in a Mark Labbett kind of way.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

The timing of this short to come right after Squareheads, with more or less the same fictional setting, as well as the same king (Vernon Dent), the same leading bad guy (Phil Van Zandt), and the exact same stage set, is peculiar. Actually, this is only the second in a series of three consecutive shorts that use that set, though in the third in the series, The Hot Scots, it represents a Scottish castle in the (then-) present day. It's as if the Stooges got stuck in a fictitious medieval castle and could only move from one story to another within that setting.

This is also the short in which the allusions to Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado, which went no further than a rather flippant attitude toward decapitation in Squareheads, take the unambiguous form of the direct borrowing of material, namely when Old King Cole refers to "the flowers that bloom in the spring, tra-la!"

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe this is the only major role played by Vernon Dent in which he never displays a foul temper. Maybe all he needed to tame him was a Santa-Claus beard.

The business with the showgirl in the box and the wolf whistles of the men who follow her around is painfully juvenile--not amusingly juvenile, like much of the Stooges' humor, but just dumb and embarrassing.

On the other hand, the business that "Mergatroyd" (that seems to be the spelling, at least on this site) does after he has found a large pair of patterned men's underpants snagged on his saw—first sheepishly exclaiming, "Oh, sire!" and then, with a facial expression that I simply don't know how to describe, casting the shorts away—is outstanding.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe this is the only major role played by Vernon Dent in which he never displays a foul temper. Maybe all he needed to tame him was a Santa-Claus beard.

On the other hand, I would rather live under the king with "a face like a snapping turtle with a bellyache" of Squareheads of the Round Table than under a king who compels his subjects all to laugh aloud together for a long time. That is a creepy form of tyranny worthy of Stalin or the Kims.

Offline metaldams

The business with the showgirl in the box and the wolf whistles of the men who follow her around is painfully juvenile--not amusingly juvenile, like much of the Stooges' humor, but just dumb and embarrassing.

I accept the absurdity of the gag in a Stooge short with one exception - Vernon Dent's king following the crowd just seconds after the experience of finding his kidnapped daughter!
- Doug Sarnecky

Addenda:

The whole horseshoeing scene is pretty good. Stooges with horseshoes: what can possibly go right? After the business with the bellows (meh!), we get: Larry getting hit on the head by a series of falling horseshoes to the tune of the NBC chimes (always good); Moe saying to Shemp, "Thou art a dumb cluck!" before giving him a ringing blow to the head with a hammer; Shemp sitting on a hot horseshoe; Shemp getting a horseshoe nailed to his foot by Moe ("Idiot! Thou hast made me shoe the wrong mule!"); Moe getting clangorously hit on the head by the hammer that he has tied to Sue's tail to hold it down; and, finally, a hilarious bit of dummy action (at least for those who, like me, relish the unrealism of the device) when the boys fall through a fixture of some sort and drop thirty feet to a flagstone floor (one of the dummies bouncing upon impact) with no worse effect than a bit of dizziness.

By the way, does anyone have an explanation of the name of the blacksmith, "Will Idge"? There must be a joke in there somewhere.

Virginia Hunter, while definitely no Christine in the acting department, is still not bad, as she proves in SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS.  I was actually a little disappointed they didn't give her more to do here than act as a decorative prop.

It never occurred to me that "Princess Alicia" appeared in any other short, let alone that she was the same as Terry Hargen's moll. She's just decorative here, but charmingly roguish in the other role.

ThumpTheShoes

By the way, does anyone have an explanation of the name of the blacksmith, "Will Idge"? There must be a joke in there somewhere.

An allusion to Longfellow's "The Village Blacksmith", which begins, "Under a spreading chestnut tree/The village smithy stands."

Will Idge = village.

An allusion to Longfellow's "The Village Blacksmith", which begins, "Under a spreading chestnut tree/The village smithy stands."

Will Idge = village.

D'oh! Thanks.

As I've mentioned before, the bellows making the BEEEeeeooohhh noise is a reference to Lifebuoy soap commercials on radio at that time.  Now I can add that Shemp's line "your best friend should tell thee" is a reference to the same commercial, whose announcer says "your best friend should tell you" i.e. that you have B.O.

Offline metaldams

It never occurred to me that "Princess Alicia" appeared in any other short, let alone that she was the same as Terry Hargen's moll. She's just decorative here, but charmingly roguish in the other role.

She's also the attractive brunette cave girl in I'M A MONKEY'S UNCLE.  So many of these girls were pleasant on the eyes but never did any acting of note in these shorts.  When one actually does prove she can perform a good role, like Virginia Hunter did in SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS, it's disappointing seeing her relegated to mere eye candy, (well, disappointing for every part of me except my eyes).  To Columbia's credit, I can't recall them ever wasting Christine McIntyre in such a way. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

As I've mentioned before, the bellows making the BEEEeeeooohhh noise is a reference to Lifebuoy soap commercials on radio at that time.  Now I can add that Shemp's line "your best friend should tell thee" is a reference to the same commercial, whose announcer says "your best friend should tell you" i.e. that you have B.O.

These old references you mention are definitely cool.  No way in a thousand years I ever would have known that.
- Doug Sarnecky

The 2nd dumbest thing in the short (the forced laughter) has been mentioned so far, but not the first: Because only Larry could actually play, Moe and Shemp merely hold their violins. Why didn't they at least pretend to play them?  ???
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Kopfy2013

Metaldams describes it well. Junk food.   Stoogisms done well. It is entertaining.

I will give it a seven.
Niagara Falls

Yeah, yeah, I'm very late to this party, but I'm mentioning that I always thought that King Vernon joining the whistling wolf parade was funny, sort of the icing on the cake of the absurdity.

Offline metaldams

Yeah, yeah, I'm very late to this party, but I'm mentioning that I always thought that King Vernon joining the whistling wolf parade was funny, sort of the icing on the cake of the absurdity.

Here’s the same actress, a little older, same pair of legs, with Bobby Clark.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

6/10, the scenes of Moe and Shemp hitting each other with the pies was the only great moment to this unremarkable short, I thought the ending with everyone except Shemp and the King's daughter was a bit silly as I was hoping to see the villains get their justices served, this is one episode that could've been so much more IMO.