metaldams · 54 · 20435

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/118
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042012/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.emilsitka.com/vagabondloafers1949.html

Read Emil Sitka's diary entry in the link above

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08sCJVa32ik

Watch VAGABOND LOAFERS in the link above

For the next few weeks, maybe, just maybe, there'll be some controversy.  Full disclosure, I am not capable of giving an unbiased review here.  A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is my favorite Stooge short ever and the maze of pipes bit is Curly's masterpiece.  Curly is an otherworldly presence with his squeals, brief moments of satisfied nyuks when he thinks the problem is solved, and is a master of varied gestures and emotions.  He's hysterical, and gives a performance that stands out in the annals of comic history.  Shemp?  I love the guy, but this is the one and only occasion I will say he pales compared to his brother.  Usually Shemp is a distinct presence just as good as Curly, but here he was given material better suited to Curly.  Curly is otherworldly, Shemp is merely competent.  I also have no desire to see Curly do a shadow boxing routine either, certain routines are just better suited to certain comedians.  It's this wonderful thing called individuality, egalitarian thoughts are a pipe dream, pun intended.  Also, towards the middle of this thing?  Lots of stock footage of Larry and Dudley, I mean lots.  It will get much worse later on, though.

Sadly, this would be the last short appearance of Symona Boniface, not counting ghostly stock footage.  Her last actual appearance is JERK OF ALL TRADES, which we'll discuss much later.  Hey, glad she went out with a bang, this is one of her better roles.  Her enunciation of lines, along with the butler's, are priceless when she admonishes the boys for mingling with the guests.  Bud is gone, and now, so is Symona, another great supporting player leaving the series.  She was the best actress the boys had playing high society ladies and always brought a sense of fun, she'll be missed going forward.  By the way, the water through the TV gag?  The gag itself was done techinically better in A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, but acting wise, Symona gets a much better chance to sell it, and she shines.

Remember when I said in FUELIN' AROUND the three year older Christine McIntyre plays Emil Sitka's daughter?  Well here, the twenty year older Symona plays his wife!  Emil destined to play much older than he is, again.  Christine and Kenneth MacDonald play strictly straight villain roles here and do a fine job.  Makes me think Christine should have worked with Hitchcock, and hey, he did like blondes.

As far as comic highlights?  Really subtle things.  I love Moe reading that book on how to be a plumber, but the best bit is a lazy Larry dumping the bucket that's capturing the water dripping from above and his satisfied reaction once doing so.  Poor Moe doing all the work!  I really like that little Larry moment.  Another observation is I don't believe Shemp gets hit by Moe once in this short.

Look, not a bad short, but I admit I'm biased.  Any KISS fans here?  I rarely listen to the first KISS album because all the best songs on it were done better on ALIVE!  Same deal here.  If A PLUMBING WE WILL GO didn't exist, I'd watch VAGABOND LOAFERS more often.

7/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I've always felt this was one of the more overrated Shemp shorts--of course, I'm one who believes that the Curly original was not the "Masterpiece" that many fans have made it out to be over the years. As far as Shemp doing the "maze of pipes"--like I've said elsewhere, the bit stands out as far as visuals go, but it's something that has never made me laugh til I cried, be it Shemp or Curly.

I would say overall, that this is just a good short--no big belly laughs, but a competent story and there are chuckles sprinkled throughout; perhaps my favorite is when Shemp shows a rare display of ingenuity and tells Kenneth McDonald, "come and get it."

7 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline luke795

I think VAGABOND LOAFERS is better than A PLUMBING WE WILL GO probably because I saw VAGABOND LOAFERS first and I'm more of a Shemp fan than a Curly fan.

Offline metaldams

I think VAGABOND LOAFERS is better than A PLUMBING WE WILL GO probably because I saw VAGABOND LOAFERS first and I'm more of a Shemp fan than a Curly fan.

I first saw VAGABOND LOAFERS in my twenties, so I'm the opposite.  First impressions do count, no arguing that.

Still, I just can't see one thing Shemp does here that can possibly be construed as better than Curly's interpretation.  Shemp handles the gag like a comedian should handle it.  Curly transforms the gag.  With Shemp, I remember the gag, with Curly, I remember the gag....and Curly.

Maybe it is first impressions, but my gut is telling me that's only part of it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I take a very bizarre approach to this dilemma... I love A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.  There is no doubt in my mind that PLUMBING is better than VAGABOND LOAFERS.  But I try to analyze each short for what it is as an individual, not in comparison to shorts with a similar plot or to the original in the case of the later Shemp shorts.  It's the fair way, and too many people say shorts like FOR CRIMING OUT LOUD are bad because they are comparing to the original WHO DONE IT?'s of the world.  Think of this when we get to that point.

There is an argument to the comparisons, however, as both shorts were written by Elwood Ullman.  He also later brings us LISTEN, JUDGE, Shemp remakes, and GUNS A POPPIN!  See what I am getting at here?  He just took A PLUMBING WE WILL GO and changed some of the scenes.

Now as for this short: there is a bit of strangeness in Shemp doing a routine designed for Curly.  But if one looks at Shemp's performance as an individual, it is actually quite good.  Is he Curly?  No way, but his performance is nevertheless still top-notch.  He just applies his own facial expressions to this.

Larry I think is a little better in this one.  His expressions just seem... stronger.  Moe is, of course, always giving us his best.  Emil Sitka is fantastic in his scenes as is Symona, especially their ad-libbing.  Dudley Dickerson also gives us a great show in what is also his final appearance in a Stooge short, giving us one of his best lines: "Sorry, folks, dinner is cancelled on account o' rain!"  Unfortunately, most of Dudley's parts are through stock footage (that evil Elwood Ullman/Felix Adler beast).

It's Kenneth MacDonald and Christine McIntyre that cause me to "only" give this 9/10.  Their performances are flat.  Yes, they are villains, but they are the most lifeless villains villainy could produce.  No dynamics whatsoever from them.  They're robots, to be blunt.

Next week shall bring an interesting flavor to the party as we get DUNKED IN THE DEEP.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I take a very bizarre approach to this dilemma... I love A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.  There is no doubt in my mind that PLUMBING is better than VAGABOND LOAFERS.  But I try to analyze each short for what it is as an individual, not in comparison to shorts with a similar plot or to the original in the case of the later Shemp shorts.  It's the fair way, and too many people say shorts like FOR CRIMING OUT LOUD are bad because they are comparing to the original WHO DONE IT?'s of the world.  Think of this when we get to that point.

There is an argument to the comparisons, however, as both shorts were written by Elwood Ullman.  He also later brings us LISTEN, JUDGE, Shemp remakes, and GUNS A POPPIN!  See what I am getting at here?  He just took A PLUMBING WE WILL GO and changed some of the scenes.

Now as for this short: there is a bit of strangeness in Shemp doing a routine designed for Curly.  But if one looks at Shemp's performance as an individual, it is actually quite good.  Is he Curly?  No way, but his performance is nevertheless still top-notch.  He just applies his own facial expressions to this.

Larry I think is a little better in this one.  His expressions just seem... stronger.  Moe is, of course, always giving us his best.  Emil Sitka is fantastic in his scenes as is Symona, especially their ad-libbing.  Dudley Dickerson also gives us a great show in what is also his final appearance in a Stooge short, giving us one of his best lines: "Sorry, folks, dinner is cancelled on account o' rain!"  Unfortunately, most of Dudley's parts are through stock footage (that evil Elwood Ullman/Felix Adler beast).

It's Kenneth MacDonald and Christine McIntyre that cause me to "only" give this 9/10.  Their performances are flat.  Yes, they are villains, but they are the most lifeless villains villainy could produce.  No dynamics whatsoever from them.  They're robots, to be blunt.

Next week shall bring an interesting flavor to the party as we get DUNKED IN THE DEEP.

I can understand trying to look at each short as an individual piece, but in this short, and to a much greater extent later on, it's not an individual piece at times, it's the exact same footage.

You're right, Shemp's performance is good, and I can understand others judging it on its own.  For me, I just have trouble doing it myself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I can understand trying to look at each short as an individual piece, but in this short, and to a much greater extent later on, it's not an individual piece at times, it's the exact same footage.

You're right, Shemp's performance is good, and I can understand others judging it on its own.  For me, I just have trouble doing it myself.

Well, there are ways to evaluate stock footage as well, but this is to examine how it fits in to the new scenes.  Here, Dudley Dickerson's stock footage scenes fit into the grand scheme of things because he doesn't appear different in this.  This is in contrast to some later shorts where things won't even make sense anymore because you'll have wrinkled 55 year olds intermingled with stock footage of them at 38 years old.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Well, there are ways to evaluate stock footage as well, but this is to examine how it fits in to the new scenes.  Here, Dudley Dickerson's stock footage scenes fit into the grand scheme of things because he doesn't appear different in this.  This is in contrast to some later shorts where things won't even make sense anymore because you'll have wrinkled 55 year olds intermingled with stock footage of them at 38 years old.

Watching them age in general is fascinating since they were around so long, and it sometimes is noticeable in the stock footage.  You're right though, those nine years were kind to Dudley.
- Doug Sarnecky

And thus begin the stock footage clip-fests.  My interest in them is minimal, if not nonexistent.  I fade out as they fade in.

Offline metaldams

And thus begin the stock footage clip-fests.  My interest in them is minimal, if not nonexistent.  I fade out as they fade in.

Stock footage does not become all that prevalent until 1953.  But I guess "fade in" is the proper term, because hints start to show earlier, but still, plenty of original material left.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

I have always liked Curly more than Shemp, and "A Plumbing We Will Go" was a better short overall than "Vagabond Loafers."  However, there are a couple of advantages that "Vagabond Loafers" had.

1.  Symona Boniface's role was much better than that of Bess Flowers.  Symona seemed to be the type whose nostrils would get full of water in a rainstorm.  Her getting splashed via the TV was probably the funniest moment of new footage.

B.  The Stooges were victorious in this short, beating the robotic villainous "Mac" couple, whereas Curly and company were running away from the cops at the end.

And in both shorts, Dudley Dickerson's scenes were very humorous, regardless of sameness.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I was amazed to realize there were only 77 Shemp shorts.

But then I realized that it means this weekend next year we will be on CREEPS.  There's a LOT of Shemp to go!  We have half a year until the stock footage farces!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I have always liked Curly more than Shemp, and "A Plumbing We Will Go" was a better short overall than "Vagabond Loafers."  However, there are a couple of advantages that "Vagabond Loafers" had.

1.  Symona Boniface's role was much better than that of Bess Flowers.  Symona seemed to be the type whose nostrils would get full of water in a rainstorm.  Her getting splashed via the TV was probably the funniest moment of new footage.

B.  The Stooges were victorious in this short, beating the robotic villainous "Mac" couple, whereas Curly and company were running away from the cops at the end.

And in both shorts, Dudley Dickerson's scenes were very humorous, regardless of sameness.

1 & B, eh?

But I am glad someone agrees with my views on the personalities of the "villains."  When's Ruben Amaro, Jr. going to show up in these?  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I honestly see no problem with the two Mac's as villains here.  Especially Mr. Mac, who is underplaying the way Boris Karloff would at times.  I admit there's nothing remotely comic or ironic about them, which may turn some people off in this setting, but they seem perfectly believable to me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

One point of comparison between this and A Plumbing We Will Go is that in the earlier short, as in many of that period, the Stooges are vagabonds and petty thieves, running from the police, while in this one, they have their own business, and it is a couple of members of the snoot-suit set who provide the criminality.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I honestly see no problem with the two Mac's as villains here.  Especially Mr. Mac, who is underplaying the way Boris Karloff would at times.  I admit there's nothing remotely comic or ironic about them, which may turn some people off in this setting, but they seem perfectly believable to me.

That for me is the problem.  They're so lifeless it's almost like they're bored and don't really want to be there.

They were less interesting than this:

#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

That for me is the problem.  They're so lifeless it's almost like they're bored and don't really want to be there.

They were less interesting than this:

Thou art a matzoh-head!

Actually, I always preferred garlic matzohs, but they don't come in the 5-pound boxes that my wife and I get for free each year with a $50 purchase (never a problem) at the local supermarkets.

I get that the title is a play on the title of an old Rudy Vallee song/movie, both of which might have been familiar then but now are almost completely forgotten, but I also daresay that this title didn't make any sense even when the short was new, seeing as how the stooges here are neither vagabonds nor loafers.  Idiots, yes, vagabond loafers, no.  That being the case, might I suggest a renaming contest, like we had with An Ache In Every Stake, a title which also made no sense, and which got delightfully renamed The Iceman Dumbeth.  Maybe we can strike comedy gold again.  Have at it, you intelligent imbeciles.  Me, I got nothing.

O K, I got one, and it's not good, but I'll throw it out here just to get the ball rolling:  Plumb Crazy.  I told you it was no good.
     I also apologize for not remembering who came up with The Iceman Dumbeth, and I can't find it.  I do think I remember it was one of the Big Boys.

I get that the title is a play on the title of an old Rudy Vallee song/movie, both of which might have been familiar then but now are almost completely forgotten, but I also daresay that this title didn't make any sense even when the short was new, seeing as how the stooges here are neither vagabonds nor loafers.  Idiots, yes, vagabond loafers, no.  That being the case, might I suggest a renaming contest, like we had with An Ache In Every Stake, a title which also made no sense, and which got delightfully renamed The Iceman Dumbeth.  Maybe we can strike comedy gold again.  Have at it, you intelligent imbeciles.  Me, I got nothing.

You know, I was just thinking of posting the question, "Why is this short called 'Vagabond Loafers'? They're neither vagabonds nor loafers here!" I had forgotten about "Vagabond Lover," if I ever knew about it (the title sounds familiar). I think that's all the explanation there is. Look at Violent Is the Word for Curly, which is a short in which Curly is neither particularly prominent nor particularly violent, but whose title is contrived solely to play on that of another movie, Valiant Is the Word for Carrie (or so I am informed). I sometimes think that the studio gave no more than five minutes of thought to coming up with titles for these things. Some of them make a worthwhile joke, like "Idle Roomers" and "Boobs in Arms," while others are just lame half-jokes, like this one.

Edited to add: Proposed alternative titles: "Three Little Plumbers," "A Pipe in Hand," "Pardon My Leak." Every one of them is corny and weak, but makes better sense than "Vagabond Loafers." (That third one might not get past the censors, though. Maybe not the second one either, come to think of it.)

We're off !  Thank you, Doctor.  Pardon My Leak is great, but I think you're right, wouldn't get past the censors.  The same, I think, with the word "drips", as in, say, Three Little Drips.  We've already given this more thought than the original title-writers, I'm sure.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, as poor a title as Vagabond Loafers may be, I have to think the remake qualifies as the worst--what the hell kind of a title is Scheming Schemers. But, we're still a long way from that disaster....

???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

This is also, I think, the first short which has The Three Stooges in printing rather than script above their head shots, and it's interesting to see that the rule of thumb we kids had fifty years ago still holds true:  if it's printing, don't bother.  Go do some homework.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Thou art a matzoh-head!

Actually, I always preferred garlic matzohs, but they don't come in the 5-pound boxes that my wife and I get for free each year with a $50 purchase (never a problem) at the local supermarkets.

One year my family was the the "Gentiles" at a seder, and I was the one who found the afikomen... hidden under the Rabbi's baby!  I love matzoh in all my Gentile glory!

Oh, just in time for Thanksgiving!

I am lost here though.  Stuffing crackers?
#1 fire kibitzer