The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Snitch In Time (1950)

metaldams · 22 · 10285

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/127
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042978/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QpaYvb6sEC4

Watch A SNITCH IN TIME in the link above

A SNITCH IN TIME, for about the first two thirds of this film, is the art of The Three Stooges at its purest and most basic.  Simple, hardcore slapstick done by three funny guys with identifiable characters.  Nothing more, nothing less, and it's a beautiful thing.  If you ever want to show somebody who doesn't know The Three Stooges what they are about with a few films, this would not be a bad Shemp representation.

The first shot of them in the room with all the wooden tables, tools, and power saws brings an instant smile to my face, because I know the three men in this room will create magic, and they do not disappoint.  Very little plot, lots of sizzle to start.  I'm a big fan of Larry having trouble getting the wooden drawer into the cabinet and deciding to nail it in, talking like he's smarter than everyone else!  That's a basic Stooge theme, actually.  Have a simple problem?  A gratuitous use of tools is the answer.  Larry must nail in that board.  Moe's eye is shut stuck?  Never mind heat or water, a chisel or screwdriver will do the job just fine!  Simple tasks made more complicated by tools makes funny results.

Other funny parts are Shemp's obsession with painting that cuckoo clock, to the point where he'll have to wait all day if he has to!  Again, making a simple matter needlessly complicated for the sake of comedy.  Moe simplifies things for Shemp by moving the hand on the clock.  The bird giving Shemp "the drippings" is also a favorite of mine.  Notice how wide and big Larry's hair is before Moe rips some hair out.  The fake hair inserted into Larry's head gives his hair an even more frizzled appearance!  I also want to praise the confusion of paint for coffee gag, used earlier in TASSELS IN THE AIR and in one of the few Charley Chase talkies I've seen, LUNCHEON AT TWELVE, before it.  This old comic warhorse, unlike the feather coughing gag, I find enjoyment out of.  Finally, let the opening sign in the short really sink in, it's quite funny when you give it some thought.

The rest of the short is not bad, but it's a let down from the slapstick that preceded it.  I'd prefer some big ending versus another random chase with bad guys in a house.  I do like Jean Willes, though.  She always carried herself well acting wise and I find her face to be stunning, so I did rank her in my top five Stooge ladies a while back.

9/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Ah yes, this is the good stuff--mostly concerning those first several minutes in "Ye Olde Furniture Shoppe." As other astute fans have pointed out over the years, this is definitely the most violent Ed Bernds ever got with his stooge shorts--and boy is it glorious violence.

Poor Moe really gets his ass kicked during those first few minutes--rather than list all the abuse he takes, I'll just point out the one highlight with the glue; "Camel's Hair Brush, must be the hump." All the trials and tribulations Moe goes through during that bit is the stooges at their finest. I also loved when Moe has his hands glued to the board & Shemp gets the idea to try and saw his arm off--even going so far as to ask Moe if the saw was dull.

More goodness follows in Ms. Scudder's house with the "drippings" and trying to paint the table. Earlier in that scene, I always liked Moe's command to Larry (hey beanbrain, open up that walnut stain). I've always said that entire table painting business was better here when compared to the similar scenes from Tassels in the Air.

If there is a slight downfall to this particular short, is when the stooges start running from the bad guys. Another chase scene done by Ed Bernds--not bad mind you, but compared to the glory that came before it, it's a slight letdown.

But those first several minutes--I would say, it was the boys at their finest & who knows if discussing this short will bring up the old debate about what settings the stooges worked best in?

9 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
 [imwithstupid]

All is great in this short up until the chase.  We have typical Curly-era Stooge violence here using power tools and hand tools.  I shall save my deeper emotions for next week...

My observation on the common dislike we all have: Elwood Ullman was also the author many other Stooge shorts with a Stooge vs. villain theme, including, but not limited to, THE HOT SCOTS, CRIME ON THEIR HANDS, SHIVERING SHERLOCKS, and MUMMY'S DUMMIES.

[3stooges]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

[imwithstupid]

All is great in this short up until the chase.  We have typical Curly-era Stooge violence here using power tools and hand tools.  I shall save my deeper emotions for next week...

My observation on the common dislike we all have: Elwood Ullman was also the author many other Stooge shorts with a Stooge vs. villain theme, including, but not limited to, THE HOT SCOTS, CRIME ON THEIR HANDS, SHIVERING SHERLOCKS, and MUMMY'S DUMMIES.

[3stooges]

Good observation about Elwood Ullman, something I need to look into.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

"What do you know! I've been promoted!" (Larry): a funny line, which could be a comment on the various occasions when Larry gets to take an active role.

The page for Jean Willes reminds me that this is not her first appearance in a Stooge short. It is, however, her first appearance in an extended role. She was hot, in a cold sort of way, if you get my meaning.

Moe's conversation with her over the telephone in the shop, until the line gets severed, makes painful viewing for me. "Now don't you worry your pretty little head! . . .  I think you're just the cutest bunch of curls!" I doubt that women were any less repelled by such talk in 1950 than they are now, even if it was a more common occurrence. I just wish that the phone cord had been cut before Moe started the would-be sweet talk, so that we wouldn't have to think of poor Miss (Miss?) Scudder being afflicted with it.

It's a rum thing, but while violent slapstick with heavy tools and explosives makes me laugh, violent slapstick with blades and motorized saws mostly just makes me cringe. So I watch the opening scene with mixed feelings. I'm delighted to see the Stooges at "work," if it can be called that, with their customary wildly destructive ineptitude, but the business with Moe nearly putting his hand into the circular saw just makes me uncomfortable. His getting his nose into the saw does not distress me so much, because it is so wildly unrealistic. But then, again, Larry's application of the plane to Moe's head is a little too much like reality for my comfort. I suppose reactions just differ on this. I love the whole business with Moe getting his eye stuck and then his hands stuck to the board, though.

Offline metaldams

"What do you know! I've been promoted!" (Larry): a funny line, which could be a comment on the various occasions when Larry gets to take an active role.

The page for Jean Willes reminds me that this is not her first appearance in a Stooge short. It is, however, her first appearance in an extended role. She was hot, in a cold sort of way, if you get my meaning.

Moe's conversation with her over the telephone in the shop, until the line gets severed, makes painful viewing for me. "Now don't you worry your pretty little head! . . .  I think you're just the cutest bunch of curls!" I doubt that women were any less repelled by such talk in 1950 than they are now, even if it was a more common occurrence. I just wish that the phone cord had been cut before Moe started the would-be sweet talk, so that we wouldn't have to think of poor Miss (Miss?) Scudder being afflicted with it.

It's a rum thing, but while violent slapstick with heavy tools and explosives makes me laugh, violent slapstick with blades and motorized saws mostly just makes me cringe. So I watch the opening scene with mixed feelings. I'm delighted to see the Stooges at "work," if it can be called that, with their customary wildly destructive ineptitude, but the business with Moe nearly putting his hand into the circular saw just makes me uncomfortable. His getting his nose into the saw does not distress me so much, because it is so wildly unrealistic. But then, again, Larry's application of the plane to Moe's head is a little too much like reality for my comfort. I suppose reactions just differ on this. I love the whole business with Moe getting his eye stuck and then his hands stuck to the board, though.

Your Jean Willes comment made me spit my drink on my screen.  I know what you mean. 

As far as Moe's cut off phone conversation, I can understand how it can be cringe worthy for some.  It just enforces what I always knew about Moe's on screen character - he's got the game of a sixth grader.  I think it's bizarrely funny, especially since he's so aggressive towards the other Stooges.
- Doug Sarnecky

what I always knew about Moe's on screen character - he's got the game of a sixth grader.

Well put.

Offline JazzBill

This is a strange short in which Moe takes a beating pretty much all the way thru. I always enjoy watching the boys working with machinery and this one gets really brutal. This one has it all, saws, hammers, chisels, paint, glue all directed at Moe. I love it. I rate this short a 8. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think with this short and going forward til the 1952 season of shorts, we have entered what I might call the "Golden Age" of Shemp shorts. Looking at the list of episodes going forward, there's only one hiccup--directed by Ed Bernds oddly enough--but overlooking that, there's nothing but classics coming until we hit 1953 and the stock footage decline.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

This is a strange short in which Moe takes a beating pretty much all the way thru.

My favorite instance is when he gets hit in the forehead by the iron that Shemp has flung at the goon standing in front of him: Clang! "You know, you shouldn't—" (goes stiff and collapses; the goon has mysteriously disappeared in the next shot).

Offline Lefty

Other than "Corny Casanovas / Rusty Romeos," I don't think Moe took as much punishment as in this funny short.  Stooges slapstick at its finest.  I really enjoyed where  Henry Kulakowich, Steve the big goon, got knocked out by hitting his head against the wall after being shot in the tuchis, along with his flip after being unglued from the chair.  Interestingly, he went on to have a character name of Curley (Jones, in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Other than "Corny Casanovas / Rusty Romeos," I don't think Moe took as much punishment as in this funny short.  Stooges slapstick at its finest. 

How soon we forget THEY STOOGE TO CONGA.

My favorite instance is when he gets hit in the forehead by the iron that Shemp has flung at the goon standing in front of him: Clang! "You know, you shouldn't—" (goes stiff and collapses.

I agree with your choice of a favorite moment.

As far as Moe having the romantic tact of a 6th grader... let's be honest and say that he has less tact then Theodore Cleaver.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline JazzBill

Henry Kulakowich, Steve the big goon, got knocked out by hitting his head against the wall after being shot in the tuchis, along with his flip after being unglued from the chair.  Interestingly, he went on to have a character name of Curley (Jones, in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).
I always thought he could have made a decent replacement for Curly. In looks at least not too sure in acting.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

It's funny that the radio report describes one of the crooks as 6 feet, 2 inches in height. When you see them looming over the Stooges, they look pretty tall, but, given that the tallest Stooge was Shemp at 5 feet, 5 inches, I doubt that any of the bad guys in this short broke the six-foot mark.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
It's funny that the radio report describes one of the crooks as 6 feet, 2 inches in height. When you see them looming over the Stooges, they look pretty tall, but, given that the tallest Stooge was Shemp at 5 feet, 5 inches, I doubt that any of the bad guys in this short broke the six-foot mark.
IMDb says Shemp was 5'7". I can believe it.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

IMDb says Shemp was 5'7". I can believe it.

I can't remember where I got the figure of 5 feet, 5 inches (maybe from the figure for Curly, said to have been that tall), but I just did some Googling and all the sources that I found said that Shemp was 5 feet, 6 inches--so taller than I said but not as tall as IMDB says. In any case, I still doubt that either of the goons was over 6 feet tall.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I can't remember where I got the figure of 5 feet, 5 inches (maybe from the figure for Curly, said to have been that tall), but I just did some Googling and all the sources that I found said that Shemp was 5 feet, 6 inches--so taller than I said but not as tall as IMDB says. In any case, I still doubt that either of the goons was over 6 feet tall.
IMDb says Henry Kulky was 5'11".
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Kopfy2013

I have fallen way behind. Life gets in the way. Great synopsis  by the group. Not much else to say. I give it a 6
Niagara Falls

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I discovered today that I never wrote a formal review of this short.

A SNITCH IN TIME is a short that nicely captures the major aspects of the Shemp era: closed rooms, mass destruction, chase scenes, and beautiful women.  All of these elements come together wonderfully to make a short that's funny from start to finish.  This short could have used a minute extra to allow time between Shemp and Larry hearing the police report and the criminals entering the room.  Also, the criminals could have been played by a better cast for sure.  This was a role that called for Kenneth MacDonald.

The scene in the wood shop is classic: they have all this fine furniture they've made, but once the camera is rolling all hell breaks loose, with Moe getting the worst of it.  The chase is what we expect, and Jean Willes is always amazing.  I will diverge a little on this one...

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Moe takes a lot of punishment in this one.  I rank it #16 (Shemp) and at #67 overall.

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

I think with this short and going forward til the 1952 season of shorts, we have entered what I might call the "Golden Age" of Shemp shorts. Looking at the list of episodes going forward, there's only one hiccup--directed by Ed Bernds oddly enough--but overlooking that, there's nothing but classics coming until we hit 1953 and the stock footage decline.

TBH I thought Jules White had a couple hiccups with "Don't Throw That Knife" and "He Cooked His Goose", I agree "Merry Mavericks" was a lesser stooge short but not as bad as "Knife" or "Goose".

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

9/10, I'm in total shock that this short was directed by Edward Bernds instead of Jules White, due to the violence it has a strong Jules White feel to it, there is even a brief scene of chirping birds when one of the bad guys was knocked out which was something you only heard in the Jules White shorts, the opening scenes were hilarious and I loved seeing Moe getting the brunt of the abuse, the painting scenes were good and the scenes involving the crooks were very good, I do wish the short ended differently which is the main reason why it doesn't get a 10/10 rating from me.