Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Arabian Nuts (1951)

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/128
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044123/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgYcaRFhHo

Watch THREE ARABIAN NUTS in the link above

I don't know if I have a definitive favorite Shemp film, but this, DOPEY DICKS, and a couple of others that are ahead can lay claim depending on what day of the week it is.  This short just rules, gosh darn it!  Oops, better watch my language.  So why does this short rule?  Hmm, I'm going to have it say it's just non stop action, perfectly coherent writing, and consistently funny.  From a pure soundtrack point of view, this short is gloriously noisy.  Tons of china breaking or clubs making bonking noises on skulls, not to mentioning the burning of Vernon Dent's keister and several cast member's hands on a scorching lamp.  Oh yeah, scorching coffee at the beginning too, so lots of breaking, lots of bonking, and lots of burning. 

I'm usually not a fan of the endless chase stuff, but for some reason, when you throw in Phil Van Zandt (no relation to Ronnie), and the prospect of Stooge heads leaving shoulders, it's funny.  Much like in DOPEY DICKS, Moe's naive acting when Van Zandt is about to slice his head off is real fun to watch, and Van Zandt in general is real sleazy over the top and completely entertaining.  I think he needs to be mentioned more in the great Stooge supporting players. 

This short is also legendary for Shemp in his zoot suit, and it does make me wonder if women found that attractive back in the day.  Ah, whatever, Shemp's look and excitement is totally funny in this part.  Also love Larry's coffee break at the beginning, throwing away the cup and drinking out of the saucer.  Now that's brains!  Speaking of brains, Moe bonking Shemp and Larry with china and their delayed reaction is another definite highlight.  Vernon rules in this one as usual, I love his reaction as Moe gives him the sniffing powder, and Larry's classic line, "You're my type baby, a women," may be the most used Stooge line in my family.  That's me, my Dad, and my brother, especially telling in that my Dad hardly uses Stooge lines.  By the way, happy to report my seven year old nephew is now a fan, the indoctrination carries on for another generation.  Also speaking of my Dad, this short was filmed days before his birth.  We are truly in the 50's now, both in release and production date. 

Um, well, final word...this short rules.

10/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, as I mentioned last week--we are definitely in the high cotton as far as Shemp episodes go. I think this one breaks the record for number of times the "breaking glass" sound effect is used.

I also liked Moe's reading of the Chinese letters that open the short--oh, knick knacks. Shemp's zoot suit is definitely a high point, especially when Shemp is going on about the chain and the skimmer as I believe he called it. One point that may be controversial about this short is Shemp referring to the genie as "Amos"--but that has never bothered me.

Overall, another great stooge short & the trend continues next week too (imo)...

9 out of 10...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
In the Curly and Shemp era, there are those undeniable front-runners: MEN IN BLACK, BACK FROM THE FRONT, THREE LITTLE BEERS, THREE DARK HORSES, TRICKY DICKS, and HEAVENLY DAZE.  This here is one of those incomparable shorts; it is a comedy classic.

The plot is the Elwood Ullman special: Stooges plus allies versus an enemy.  But this one takes it to new levels of ridiculousness.

The Stooges do a fantastic job as ne'er-do-right manual laborers, here as delivery men.  The amount of destruction they cause by dropping Vernon Dent's boxes of "junk" is astounding.  Little do they know they are being watched... by madmen still trapped in the 15th century in their minds.

The concept of a genie in a lamp is not necessarily funny (e.g. I DREAM OF JEANNIE).  Here, we have Wesley Bly as Amos, the "genius of the lamp," who does an incredible job in a straight-man role.  But he is not only a straight man, he also does not get to switch his gaze even as action occurs around him.

Shemp is the only Stooge who can find a genius in a lamp and ask for a horrible suit like that, especially given his ugly hat he is already wearing.  Nevertheless, Amos obliges, so Larry, jealous of Shemp's find, plays some trickery.  From here it is all verbal and sight gags non-stop in a Curly-era style laughfest.  Vernon Dent gets his goose cooked twice after being insulted by Moe.

Shemp is on top of his game here in this one.  He is witty, puts on great faces, and relies on his "genius" throughout.  Shemp has the jump of a little boy throughout this one.  Larry is awesome as always as he takes on a stronger character, bullying Shemp and unrepentingly attacking friends by mistake.  Moe does a great job on the scare reactions here.  He is as vibrant as he was 15 years prior.

Vernon Dent plays the unlikely role of a Stooge ally here.  He puts on great faces and reactions in one his last great Stooge roles.  The abuse he takes here is on a never before seen level.  And he is the punchline of the last scene of the short.

Lastly, Philip Van Zandt: without him, we have nothing.  He puts the scare into the scare reactions.  He is truly convincing in his role as the evil cutthroat determined to get the lamp at all costs.  We have here his greatest performance in a Stooge short, though he was always great.

The plot all works around the genius: warehouse, cutthroats, Vernon's house, and even hot potato with a genie's lamp and cooling it off in a fish bowl.  Swords, fine china, and camp stoves all make the cut here as well.

We have found the GOAT

[poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:31:56 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Great summation there Paul--I'm not sure I agree with this being Vernon's last great role, as--off the top of my head--we still have shorts like Scrambled Brains and Listen, Judge still to come.

Also, one of the rare shorts where a supporting player gets to do something funny to close out the short--"so long Mr. Bradley and thanks for the lamp."

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

Very well done short. Good story and plot and all original material. I love Shemps chain wallet, I didn't know he was a biker. As usual Vernon Dent makes the perfect fall guy. Also enjoy Phillip Van Zandt, he always made a funny bad guy. He's another co star I wish would had made more shorts with the boys. What's not to like, I rate this one a solid 9.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Great summation there Paul--I'm not sure I agree with this being Vernon's last great role, as--off the top of my head--we still have shorts like Scrambled Brains and Listen, Judge still to come.

Also, one of the rare shorts where a supporting player gets to do something funny to close out the short--"so long Mr. Bradley and thanks for the lamp."

You were right about Vernon, so I changed my post  ;D
#1 fire kibitzer

I'm surprised that there's no criticism at all, or even wistful regret, about the racial insensitivity towards the genie.  " I am your slave "?  " Yes, Master "?  Really?  Granted, the racial attitudes when this was made were even more toxic than today's, if such a thing is possible, and we as today's viewers do have to allow for some of that, but that taint spoils it for me.  You all are too young to remember, as in fact am I, but a Zoot suit was also a black thing of the time, associated most closely with  Cab Calloway, among others, and while Cab could pull it off in his playful way, today's equivalent would be a white guy dressing up like Flava Flav.  Not necessarily mean or racist, but certainly stupid and unfunny.
     The genie and also Dick Curtis are used so poorly that I can't watch this without thinking that these two actors must have been starving to take parts as bad as these.  To think Badlands Blackie is stooping to this.

Offline JazzBill

I'm surprised that there's no criticism at all, or even wistful regret, about the racial insensitivity towards the genie.  " I am your slave "?  " Yes, Master "?
I collect black memorabilia and have a collection of stereoscope cards that would no doubt make you cringe. To me it's just a sign of the times and doesn't bother me. Besides I believe Jeannie in "I Dream Of Jeannie" called Tony Nelson Master. Maybe it's supposed to be a Slave and Master thing no matter what color the people are.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, I think when it comes to black actors in old films, I have seen worse than the Genie from this short film. But--if nothing else--it makes for good debate...

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Of course, the Three Stooges would be running a business that transports fragile goods. That makes perfect sense.  ::)

I feel that Vernon Dent is somewhat under-used in this one. His getting seated on a hot stove—twice—is very funny. But I can't help regretting that his character in this short is so mild-tempered (by Vernon Dent standards) and that he doesn't suffer any other equal or worse indignities. His being hit on the head—again, twice, not counting the tattoo of blows that he administers to himself with a hammer at the end—is good Stooge violence, but it is not the sort of indignity that is peculiarly gratifying to behold when he plays an aggressive and foul-tempered character. Most of all, it is too bad that there are no cakes in this short. Dent's characters always exerted such a powerful attraction on those confections that they could not appear in a short with him without ending up on his face.

Phil Van Zandt is very amusing. I am glad that he and Dick Curtis confined their "Arabian" act to costumery and did not attempt the sort of generic foreign bad guy accent that Vernon Dent affected in Wee Wee Monsieur.

I collect black memorabilia and have a collection of stereoscope cards that would no doubt make you cringe. To me it's just a sign of the times and doesn't bother me.

Do you model yourself on Seymour of the movie Ghost World?

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I realized as I was reading these that this was actually Dick Curtis' first appearance in a Stooges short since his grade-A performance in THE THREE TROUBLEDOERS five years earlier ("Do you take this collar to be your lawfully wedded harness?" "WHAAAAT?!?!?!"). One of those supports you think appeared more often than he actually did (and there was a three-year gap in between ROCKIN' THRU THE ROCKIES and HIGHER THAN A KITE).

He came back for that brief comeback round of three shorts (this, DON'T THROW THAT KNIFE and THE TOOTH WILL OUT) before he was claimed by a variety of factors (lung cancer, a [recently-operated] brain tumor and respiratory failure, per The Old Corral).

(Oddly, as I'm typing this, my stepbrother is watching [though the "cork" scene, not any of Dick's] OILY TO BED, OILY TO RISE -- another short with Curtis.)
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline JazzBill

Do you model yourself on Seymour of the movie Ghost World?
Sorry Dr. I don't have any idea of what Seymour or Ghost World is, so I can't answer your question.

Offline metaldams

I'm surprised that there's no criticism at all, or even wistful regret, about the racial insensitivity towards the genie.  " I am your slave "?  " Yes, Master "?  Really?  Granted, the racial attitudes when this was made were even more toxic than today's, if such a thing is possible, and we as today's viewers do have to allow for some of that, but that taint spoils it for me.  You all are too young to remember, as in fact am I, but a Zoot suit was also a black thing of the time, associated most closely with  Cab Calloway, among others, and while Cab could pull it off in his playful way, today's equivalent would be a white guy dressing up like Flava Flav.  Not necessarily mean or racist, but certainly stupid and unfunny.
     The genie and also Dick Curtis are used so poorly that I can't watch this without thinking that these two actors must have been starving to take parts as bad as these.  To think Badlands Blackie is stooping to this.

I have to be honest, until you mentioned it, the racial angle never even occurred to me.  Yes, it is perhaps because I have grown so use to these things in old films I just accept it as part of the times.  I'll also say a genie, regardless of race, is going to call someone master, but we all have our own levels of tolerance, and THREE ARABIAN NUTS is not exactly BIRTH OF A NATION as far as racial insensitivity, but that's just me.

I didn't want to initially mention it, but you want to talk unfair stereotypes AHEAD of their time?  This film depicts Arabs chopping heads off.  Sadly, I thought of that any before I thought of the genie.
- Doug Sarnecky

Sorry Dr. I don't have any idea of what Seymour or Ghost World is, so I can't answer your question.

Well, as I said, it's a movie, so if you ever see it, let me know what you think.

Offline Lefty

I have always enjoyed "Three Arabian Nuts," a classic from start to finish.  Shemp was definitely the #1 star.

The Genius of the Lamp -- so that makes the show "I Dream of Genius," and the General Hospital actress Genius Francis, and Lanny Poffo, brother of the late Randy "Macho Man Savage" Poffo is "The Genie."

As for the zoot suit, Gruber wore one in a McHale's Navy episode where the crew was trying to convince Captain Binghamton that they were in New York City 5 years after the war instead of in Italy during the war.

Just wanted to say... this is the first time I've happened to watch the "weekly episode" the same week it was discussed here!
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Forgot to mention one of my favorite lines--"Smack anybody wearing a turban."

Offline Kopfy2013

I may have found my favorite Shemp short. I like the originality,the stupidity and the acting.

I  even laughed out loud in a few places.

I feel that Vernon Dent needed to be angrier though. It was ridiculous what he went through and he did not go berserk.

I give this a strong 8.
Niagara Falls

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Once again, I'm obviously in the minority on this one.  It has its moments to be sure, but overall it's just not one of my favorite Shemp shorts, certainly not an all-time classic.  Was never a huge fan of the "running around chase" stuff and this one has way too much of that.

#143. Three Arabian Nuts