The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bubble Trouble (1953)

metaldams · 25 · 10570

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/150
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045583/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7xbY3tl4HE

Watch BUBBLE TROUBLE in the link above

Three words come to mind watching the ape man in the new footage - Paul Payne wept.

Another remake, but at least a somewhat interesting one, if not a great film.  What's interesting is the rearranging of the footage as opposed to the original.  In ALL GUMMED UP, the gum laced cake scene takes place after the plot resolution at the end of the short, feeling like an outtake more than a part of the film.  Here?  Placed right after Serena gets the fountain of youth treatment, so they celebrate right away.  Then the plot unfolds afterwards.  Much better placement, and I can understand because of this how some people may prefer this to the original.

With full belief the arrangement is tighter in BUBBLE TROUBLE, I'll take ALL GUMMED UP over BUBBLE TROUBLE any day.  Why?  Well, the new footage, as properly placed as it may be, is too hokey.  Watch the great interplay the boys have in the old footage while they concoct that formula.  You feel like you're watching something unique in a way only those three men with that level of comic chemistry can pull off.  For new footage, man in gorilla suit chasing comics around?  Been done a zillion times by a zillion comedians, even the Three Stooges.  Oh, and how about that final close up of Moe.  I suppose the new footage is entertaining in a cheesy bad movie kind of way, but I don't watch The Three Stooges for that.

Somewhat interesting, certainly more useful than last week's snorefest.  The next two weeks we get originals, and after that, things get really barren.  You guys who are still hanging on at that point are almost as crazy as me....almost.

One more thing watching BUBBLE TROUBLE - I miss Christine.

5/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh my, what to say about this one. If ever there was a Shemp effort that deserved a bomb rating--not counting the back of Joe Palma's head--this would be it. I think I've said this before & I'll trot it out again, while there may be some laughs from the stock footage in these "recycles," it's hard for me to get into them given the circumstances.

Basically, if I want to enjoy the old footage, it's much simpler for me to pop in the DVDs of the originals rather than wasting my time with these stock footage shit-fests. I may be coming on a bit strong, but as I said before, this short--and a few others later on--are almost completely worthless; no matter how the gum cake footage was rearranged.

But--as bad as this is--I still can't bring myself to bomb the Moe, Larry, Shemp trio.

1 out of 10 pokes....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short is a classic example of the pain the Besser era brings as well: bad plots.  It is difficult to be funny when there isn't... Stooginess.

We return to the world of hump day condoms with a short that sucks is just plain awful.  They should have laid put this to rest back then. We have a better placement of the cake scene.  Beyond that?  TERRIBLE.  I do give credits for how the stock footage is worked in, and it is seamless, so there are bonus points for that.

Emil Sitka makes a terrible gorilla, and there is nothing funny about watching people in genuine pain.  We are going full HALF-SHOT SHOOTERS here.  This is one short where gorillas are B.A.D. BAD BAD BAD!  This is not a short you show to cutters.  They will have finished themselves off by the end.  Oh, yeah, hi Beverly Thomas; you're more obvious than Jennie-O Kascier in SELF MADE MAIDS.

The best moments of the new footage are Emil's reaction to seeing himself and Moe getting his head banged back together.  Alas, we have crossed the hump jumped the shark into the stock footage era.

3/10 [poke] [poke] [poke]

Yes, Metaldams, I am the bad guy this week.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Oh, yeah, hi Beverly Thomas; you're more obvious than Jennie-O Kascier in SELF MADE MAIDS.

[Removed nearly 4-year old off-topic ramble because I'm not sure of what I previously posted anymore and I now feel it a distracting bump in an otherwise good discussion.]

That said, Kascier does make a "cameo" in this short doubling Moe getting his head bashed into the ground by the gorilla.

*sigh* I'm tellin' ya, I need a social life...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:25:25 AM by GreenCanaries »
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Oy vey, does this one stink.

"How can we reuse All Gummed Up? Well, we've got to keep the bubble-gum-cake sequence, because that's just CLASSIC: everybody just LOVES that bit. But for the ending we'll put Emil Sitka into a GORILLA SUIT!" Said some idiot.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Ah... consensus of hatred will be increasingly common as we continue through 2016.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I would say that the slate of recycles we have coming up don't quite suck as much as Bubble, but at least next week, we have a great original to discuss...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Next short I may give a 10, I'll know for sure after the next viewing.  It may also be the last time we see that number.  We shall see, but the rest of the way, mostly....oy vey!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

I think I saw Bubble Trouble before I saw All Gummed Up.  I think I like the remake better than the original.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
You have disappointed me, metaldams.  I thought you'd fuel the fire on this thread!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

You have disappointed me, metaldams.  I thought you'd fuel the fire on this thread!

Here's the problem with fueling a fire...I have to be passionate.  That's why I have not been looking forward to reviewing this era.  These remakes are so lukewarm to me.  Wait until we get to the Besser horse epics.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Here's the problem with fueling a fire...I have to be passionate.  That's why I have not been looking forward to reviewing this era.  These remakes are so lukewarm to me.  Wait until we get to the Besser horse epics.

I mean all the sex jokes I've been making.   [pie]  We can't be so laid back with such a topic.  Passionate anger is applied to these too!  You'll feel better afterward ;)
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I mean all the sex jokes I've been making.   [pie]  We can't be so laid back with such a topic.  Passionate anger is applied to these too!  You'll feel better afterward ;)

With a title like BUBBLE TROUBLE, sounds more like a financial crisis.

OK, we have reused condom footage, an ape who at one time found Serena a beauty, making a case for beastiality; and Stooges getting large phallic like medicine objects shoved down their throats.  Christine looking pretty aside, not my kind of sex.   [pie]. OK, there was that one time when I was 16, there was this barn in Des Moines with all these sheep.........
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
With a title like BUBBLE TROUBLE, sounds more like a financial crisis.

OK, we have reused condom footage, an ape who at one time found Serena a beauty, making a case for beastiality; and Stooges getting large phallic like medicine objects shoved down their throats.  Christine looking pretty aside, not my kind of sex.   [pie]. OK, there was that one time when I was 16, there was this barn in Des Moines with all these sheep.........

Now we're talking ;)

I know the barn you're talking about... let's go see if it's still there!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Now we're talking ;)

I know the barn you're talking about... let's go see if it's still there!

No thanks.  I've moved on to goats.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
No thanks.  I've moved on to goats.

I would've guessed you're more into jackasses.  [pie]

I have insulted Moronika's GOAT.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Kopfy2013

This flows better than the original ... however being a baby is better than an ape ....   I miss Christine big time also ...  I give this a 5.
Niagara Falls

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

I actually like this short better than "All Gummed Up" because I've seen this one before I've seen "Gummed" and always preferred seeing Emil Sitka turning into a gorilla instead of a baby in the original, plus it was great seeing the gorilla raising hell and what happens to Moe at the end of the episode is hilarious!

I give this short a 7/10 because the new footage was IMO very good although I wish there was more of it.

Offline Tony Bensley

It seems to me the virtual reconstruction of BUBBLE TROUBLE and the previous RIP, SEW AND STITCH, may have been due to the added expense of 3-D shooting for the prior two shorts SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE.

Insofar as both of the original shorts being very good, in my opinion, it stands to reason neither reconstructed remake is likely to be much worse.  For me, the main issue is that these blatant reconstructions occurred at all. 

Thus, while on it's own merit, I'd give this short a 7, due to its reconstructed status, I give BUBBLE TROUBLE 2 demerit points, leaving a 5/10 score.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
It seems to me the virtual reconstruction of BUBBLE TROUBLE and the previous RIP, SEW AND STITCH, may have been due to the added expense of 3-D shooting for the prior two shorts SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE.

They were not the prior two shorts produced, they were filmed 8 and 9 months later.
  • BUBBLE TROUBLE and RIP, SEW AND STITCH new scenes filmed October 13 - 14, 1952
  • SPOOKS! May 11 - 15, 1953; PARDON MY BACKFIRE June 30 - July 6, 1953

All of the remaining Columbia series (e.g., Andy Clyde, Vernon & Quillan, Joe Besser) went to a stock footage remake policy in the spring of 1952 as an overall cost-cutting measure.

Offline Tony Bensley

They were not the prior two shorts produced, they were filmed 8 and 9 months later.
  • BUBBLE TROUBLE and RIP, SEW AND STITCH new scenes filmed October 13 - 14, 1952
  • SPOOKS! May 11 - 15, 1953; PARDON MY BACKFIRE June 30 - July 6, 1953

All of the remaining Columbia series (e.g., Andy Clyde, Vernon & Quillan, Joe Besser) went to a stock footage remake policy in the spring of 1952 as an overall cost-cutting measure.
I stand corrected.  Still, I find it a bit curious that the Stooges managed two consecutive original 3-D shorts in the midst of Columbia's stock footage policy.

CHEERS! [3stooges]

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Three words come to mind watching the ape man in the new footage - Paul Payne wept.

I never noticed this quote 3+ years ago when you wrote it.  Bravo, metaldams [rockon]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Here we go with another Shemp rehash.  The original ("All Gummed Up") is one of my all-time favorite Shemp shorts, so I thought this one might rank a bit higher, but the laughs just aren't there for me this time around.

#158. Bubble Trouble

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Man, re-reading this thread hurt me.  It's been 5+ years since this part of the 191-short journey, and 7+ years since I joined this forum... and I see that Dr. Hugo Gansamacher hasn't logged onto this site since February 2020.  [cry]
#1 fire kibitzer