Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Knutzy Knights (1954)

Offline metaldams

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/155
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047153/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcnfMObJEI

Watch KNUTZY KNIGHTS in the link above

Another remake, this time of a true classic in SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUNDTABLE.  Look, it's hard to rate this thing too low when the old footage is this good, but there's not really much added to what we already know.  The first five minutes are really of most interest.  The boys do a pleasant scene playing comics trying to cheer up Princess Elaine, played by Christine McIntyre.  The bit where Larry in drag cries buckets of tears and Moe uses the windshield wiper is fun to watch, as is Shemp's swollen hand bit.  The rest of the new footage lacks little in comedy and is mostly for plot purposes. 

I was premature a few weeks ago, but this is truly Vernon Dent's last new role.  I already said my praises, but since then, I have re watched the W.C. Fields classic, YOU'RE TELLING ME from 1934, and who has a small scene?  A very rotund Vernon Dent, doing an Eastern European accent and even a bit of physical comedy with The a Great Man.  Dent worked with so many legends and always enlightened their films.  Sad here to see him at the end, basically doing copy and paste jobs for plot development.

6/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, as I said last week & I'll trot it out here again--this is another "nondescript" Shemp rehash that does very little for me. Very light on new footage & what new footage there is, is passable at best.

At least next week, we have a pretty good "original" to discuss....

3 out 10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline BeatleShemp

I generally tend to favor the Felix Adler screenplays in the remakes over Jack White's.  So I think the new bit with the Stooges entertaining at the beginning was pretty funny. I think the weaving of stock footage between Harold Bauer and Joe Palma playing Sir Satchell was pretty poor though. An so-so remake. There are worse to come.

I saw that Fields movie So's Your Old Man, and Vernon Dent was for sure rotund in it.  Bud Jamison was in a Fields movie as well, The Dentist, if I'm not mistaken.
     I don't care how much spare change was  to be wrung out of it,  remaking Squareheads was sacrilege.

Offline metaldams

I saw that Fields movie So's Your Old Man, and Vernon Dent was for sure rotund in it.  Bud Jamison was in a Fields movie as well, The Dentist, if I'm not mistaken.
     I don't care how much spare change was  to be wrung out of it,  remaking Squareheads was sacrilege.

Never saw SO'S YOUR OLD MAN, but reading plot details, it appears to be a silent version of YOU'RE TELLING ME.  I have seen RUNNING WILD, the silent version on MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE, and yes, Bud Jamison, as well as Dorothy Granger, are in THE DENTIST. 
- Doug Sarnecky

My error.  It is You're Telling Me.  The whole movie is on youTube.  Fields was a good actor when he needed to be, idiosyncratic of course , as well as a master of schtick comedy.  He does a lot of both in this one.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
There isn't much to say here as the new footage doesn't really contribute to the plot much at all.  The new opening scene is pretty good, but that's about it.  Nothing really good for new footage of Vernon Dent here.  Really, just an awful little thing.

5/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Kopfy2013

So there is fresh Christine and Vernon scenes?  I was wondering ...

I like the old one better... as stated opening scene is good ...

Also good that they got Mahoney to come back and shoot some scenes.

I give it a 5.
Niagara Falls

Del Henderson is also in You're Telling Me, in a fairly big part as the Mayor.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Moe: This is a fine how-d'ye-do!
Shemp: (brightly, offering hand) How d'ye do?

The sort of thing that makes me laugh.

Offline metaldams

Looking at this poster and SHOT IN THE FRONTIER's poster, am I sensing a leg theme around this time?  LOL
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

An okay remake because the new footage was enjoyable and enjoyed Shemp's hand becoming huge and swollen (although that gag was done better in "Loose Loot"), also is it just me or was this the only stooge short (not counting stock footage) where Jacques O'Mahoney appears in a Jules White directed stooge short? I do notice the rest of the episodes he appeared in were directed by Edward Bernds which made me wonder how Jacques O'Mahoney felt about Jules White.

I give this short a 5/10, I wish it had new footage available in the middle of the short as well as the end of the short.

Offline archiezappa

I still think it's funny that they used "Sextet From Lucy" again. Can they sing it? They can't even say it!

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Another solid Shemp recycle job.

#115. Knutzy Knights

Offline Allen Champion

The underhanded and unprofessional artistic theft of Edward Bernds by Jules Blite continues.  Why the Director's Guild didn't put a stop to this kind of thing just Bernds me up. 
 ALTHOUGH . . .
The juxtaposition of each director's footage lets all the world see who is the superior comedy creator.   Don't be Knutz, be a Squarehead--support Edward Bernds!
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"