Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Off Again, On Again (1945) - Shemp Howard

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/277
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171589/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Sorry, no video available this week.  Hope you guys have the DVD

More proof that Columbia had no clue what to do with Shemp, but at least the results are interesting and entertaining.  For the second week in a row, Shemp works a Charley Chase script, this time it's TIME OUT FOR TROUBLE.  I just watched both shorts in a row, they are essentially the same film.  Dick Curtis even plays the same role in both films.  Last week, Shemp was basically acting like Shemp in a Charley Chase style role in which he was completely incompatible.  Here, Shemp plays it fairly straight like Chase, and he does a fine job!  OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN is most fascinating because it is a rare glimpse of Shemp playing light comedy as opposed to a Stooge like grotesque.  Of course, every Columbia film has it's silly moment, and one here would be Shemp being tackled to the ground and tickled as the girl tries to get the ring.  This kind of humor suits Shemp better than Chase as Shemp's laughing seems much less forced.

The problem with this short, like so many Columbias, is they just can't end this thing properly.  The bad guys getting zonked out in the bathtub and the random running away with Christine ending is rushed and without wit.  The whole suicide angle was done with a tad more care in the Charley Chase version, and much more care in Harold Lloyd's NEVER WEAKEN, the film that inspired this sequence. Shemp basically just follows a script written for someone else here, the only real Shemp moment when he gets to comically comb his long greasy hair.  Still, Shemp does an admirable job with what he's given.

Fascinating short, would just be served by a better ending, both versions.

6/10

PS:  Judy Malcolm is in this one, and she talks!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Recently, I ran through all of the Shemp Columbia solos & it would appear the material and most of the shorts got better later in the run. I forget the exact number of shorts there are, but the first 3 or 4 of them, it seems like Shemp--or maybe the guys behind the scenes making these shorts--weren't quite sure how to use Shemp until later on.

The pinnacle for me was the short, Where the Pest Begins--but that's much later. As for this week's short, passable entertainment, but nothing that will knock your socks off.

5 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This is a pretty weak entry in the Shemp solos.  The funniest thing is Shemp's suicide attempts.  The whole photo screwup is too farfetched for my tastes.  Fact is the studios have a hard time working with unproven and unknown commodities.  Shemp had limited experience in a much different era of shorts.  Shemp could pull off a straight man, but his talents better worked as a comic character.  We'll see better later, particularly when Tom Kennedy and Symona Boniface (in her single greatest role) get involved.

Dick Curtis is hammy here, much like THE THREE TROUBLEDOERS, but here it seems a little out of place.  He's too double-minded to be a gangster. 

Christine McIntyre is, as always, a dish.  Woo WOO woo woo!

An unique short that any Stooge fan should keep around for its uniqueness even if a bit awkard, much like HE COOKED HIS GOOSE.

7/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
BTW, how did they get Woodcock Q. Strinker past the censors?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcock

...and you're not the only one who initially thought it.   >:D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

Woodcock is a fairly common American and English name, same as the bird.  I went to school with a kid named Richie Woodcock, not to say he didn't collect plenty of shit all through high school.
     A more relevant question, I think, is how did Shemp end up doing shorts for Columbia at this particular time?  Did someone detect Curly's health failing and bring in Shemp for a few dry runs?  This is apparently what happened in some live appearance tours, which were Moe's department, not Columbia's, could Moe have been working behind the scenes at the studio as well?  Shemp was a freelancer all over town to this point, and had rarely had this much concentrated exposure before, at Columbia or anywhere else.  I don't think it was because Columbia was specifically looking to replace Charley Chase, he was long gone...I'm more inclined to think they recycled the Chase shorts to break in Shemp, which, if true, shows very sly long-range thinking by Moe, who, in his book, claims to have fought hard to get Shemp as Curly's replacement.  Maybe harder than has been realized.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Woodcock is a fairly common American and English name, same as the bird.  I went to school with a kid named Richie Woodcock, not to say he didn't collect plenty of shit all through high school.
     A more relevant question, I think, is how did Shemp end up doing shorts for Columbia at this particular time?  Did someone detect Curly's health failing and bring in Shemp for a few dry runs?  This is apparently what happened in some live appearance tours, which were Moe's department, not Columbia's, could Moe have been working behind the scenes at the studio as well?  Shemp was a freelancer all over town to this point, and had rarely had this much concentrated exposure before, at Columbia or anywhere else.  I don't think it was because Columbia was specifically looking to replace Charley Chase, he was long gone...I'm more inclined to think they recycled the Chase shorts to break in Shemp, which, if true, shows very sly long-range thinking by Moe, who, in his book, claims to have fought hard to get Shemp as Curly's replacement.  Maybe harder than has been realized.

Shemp did Columbia shorts as early as 1938.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline JWF

Shemp must have liked that name.  Didn't it also pop up in "Hold That Lion??

In 1938?  Featured as heavily ( ie top billing ) as he is in this batch?

Offline metaldams

You bring up an interesting thought Big Chief.  I have no way of knowing for sure, but it is plausible that Shemp being brought into Columbia was an insurance policy for Curly.  I'll have to look up the shooting date of the first Shemp Columbia and figure out what Stooge short it corresponds to.
- Doug Sarnecky

Welcome back.  I don't have to ask if the BoSox won when you went to Fenway.

Offline metaldams

Welcome back.  I don't have to ask if the BoSox won when you went to Fenway.

LOL, yeah, seriously!  They won on a seventh inning passed ball.  Last time before that I was at Fenway, it was a Kevin Youkilis walk off sacrifice fly.  They find the most uninteresting ways to win when I'm there, but at least they win.
- Doug Sarnecky

Shemp's first one in this batch is Pick A Peck of Plumbers, released in July of 1944.  This corresponds with the Stooges release of Idle Roomers and The Yoke's on Me, May and July of '44.  I won't push this too hard, but I think we've all noticed that these are among the very first in which Curly's voice begins to change.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
In 1938?  Featured as heavily ( ie top billing ) as he is in this batch?

He co-starred in four (essentially featured in two) Andy Clydes, and then he was a feature in two of the 1940s Glove Slingers entries.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

He co-starred in four (essentially featured in two) Andy Clydes, and then he was a feature in two of the 1940s Glove Slingers entries.
With all of them featured on disc 2 of THE THREE STOOGES RARE TREASURES 3 DVD set, except for the Andy Clyde two reeler NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938), 1 of 17 Clyde's Columbia shorts that are sadly, considered lost today!

After Shemp's two 1939-40 Gun Slingers appearances, it appears he didn't return to Columbia until around the time of the aforementioned two Three Stooges shorts in which Curly arguably showed early signs of slipping.

I would be very interested in hearing more information that supports or refutes the idea that Shemp's return to Columbia in 1944 had anything to do with Moe's concerns regarding Curly's deteriorating health and/or performances at the time.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Umbrella Sam

With all of them featured on disc 2 of THE THREE STOOGES RARE TREASURES 3 DVD set, except for the Andy Clyde two reeler NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938), 1 of 17 Clyde's Columbia shorts that are sadly, considered lost today!

After Shemp's two 1939-40 Gun Slingers appearances, it appears he didn't return to Columbia until around the time of the aforementioned two Three Stooges shorts in which Curly arguably showed early signs of slipping.

I would be very interested in hearing more information that supports or refutes the idea that Shemp's return to Columbia in 1944 had anything to do with Moe's concerns regarding Curly's deteriorating health and/or performances at the time.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Shemp’s first short after returning to Columbia, PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS, was filmed in April 1944. IF A BODY MEETS A BODY, which is often considered to be the first short after Curly’s health started seriously deteriorating, was filmed in March 1945, so it may just be a coincidence.

Interestingly enough, in that Jules White interview I linked to a few weeks ago, White said that he had tried to pair Shemp up with Harry Langdon. Obviously nothing ever came out of it, but the fact that Columbia considered pairing Shemp with Langdon, El Brendel, and Tom Kennedy makes me wonder if maybe he was hired to recreate the success of the Stooges.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Shemp was a Hollywood star at the time, so Columbia hiring him was likely unrelated to his brothers also working there.  He had proven to be a fantastic solo and team comedian.
#1 fire kibitzer