Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jiggers, My Wife (1946) - Shemp Howard and Tom Kennedy

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/281
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171419/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Sorry, can't find an online video for this one.

Interesting that Shemp shares top billing with Tom Kennedy in this short, as Kennedy plays a small supporting role and doesn't even factor into the film's climax.  Again, did Columbia know what they were doing with Shemp?

Really not much to say here.  The script is the typical husband most likely cheats on his wife but we don't know for sure, yet he gets thrown in on screen situations where it appears to the wife he's cheating, but the viewer knows in this instant, he's not.  You know, a chase happens, the husband hides, goes under the bed, has slapstick indignity done to him under the bed where he has to remain quiet hence he gives away his whereabouts to the wife, and oh yeah, the jealous husband who comes home earlier than expected.  Seen this thing a zillion times before.

What makes this a tick above average is the cast.  You have Shemp Howard as the unfortunate cheating husband, Cy Schindell as the jealous husband, Christine McIntyre as the wife of the jealous husband, and even Symona Boniface as the shameless gossiping town snitch.  Early Cantrell does a fine job as Shemp's wife as well.  So really, it's a great, mostly familiar cast elevating stock roles.  The highlight is Christine punching out Symona, as the latter takes a pretty comic fall and reaction.

6/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, the whole "jealous husband and/or wife" gimmick has gotten more than a bit old by this point in the Shemp series. But--as I said before--Shemp still manages to give the well worn material some sparkle & the last in the series, Bride and Gloom was very good, so maybe I shouldn't do too much carping.

Christine looks quite bodacious in this one--if I may use such a word.

6 out of 10 pokes...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The short sucks through and through.  Fortunately, the final Howard-Kennedy short is a top-notch (in a low budget way) effort.  But this is tired stuff that any comic could do except for...

Symona Boniface.  She is ASTOUNDING here!  Maybe her best performance in any short she appeared in.  She gives this a bump as it is worth watching just to see her perform.

Tom Kennedy takes a dish better than anyone else.  Not bad considering he and Shemp were 61 and 50 years old, respectively, at this time!

7/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Cy Shindell is a walking pictorial definition of the word "galoot." What a treat to have him show up as the jealous and violent husband.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Wow, no responses really here?  Symona is worth the time even if the rest is eh.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

My 3rd go around of jealous husband & the obvious--I might change my mind and say it's a 7. Even if Shemp needs more viewing pleasure, I'm sure the Tube feed will be dead before I subscribe again. At any rate, Ms. Cantrell can sell the gimmick good enough (Brother, I need a hoot owl) & Symona is the town nuisance and should I say team chemistry again as far as Shemp/Ms. McIntyre, again. So much for waiting for Ms. Rebel Randall, again...

:P
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Toast5884

Just watched this for the first time on YouTube. Couldn't find it on it's own but found it on a two hour compilation of Shemp shorts. I'll post the think below. With the cast and when it was made, it feels like watching a Stooge short not fully developed. Christine and Shemp's chemistry is amazing as always.

&t=3101s

Offline I. Cheatam

Strangely, this is not technically a Shemp-Tom Kennedy teaming. Kennedy only appears in the short for no more than 5 minutes, just as a doormat to get pummeled with dishes and a flower vase.