Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jitter Bughouse (1948) - Joe Derita

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/369
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040490/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Years ago, I called this one of the worst things related to the Stooges.  Upon a fresh viewing, I can't say this thing is flat out awful, but it's not the kind of thing I would go out of my to see either.  Basically, Joe Derita is the emcee for some three piece group (bass, guitar, accordion) called The Nov-Elites, and as billed, they are a true novelty act.  They're talented guys, but not exactly my cup of tea.  At one point, they are impersonating different musical personalities from what I can gather.  Not being well versed in 40's music, the only impersonation I recognized was Al Jolson during the "Mammy" bit.  A King Diamond impersonation would be is more in my wheelhouse.  At various other points, they scat sing, play fast 12 bar swing type stuff, and wear different costumes.  Kind of the like the thing you see on one of these talent shows on TV these days where you see an act with a bit of talent, but no long lasting substance. 

As far as Derita, he does dance at one point quite uniquely and takes that great sideways fall I eluded to in a previous short...must've been in his burlesque act.  There is one great gag involving Derita in a piano stool.  Other than that?  Christine and Emil are a bit wasted in stock roles and there's a cute kitten.  I guess it's also worth noting for the first two minutes, they are almost trying to make the Nov-Elites act like The Three Stooges with Derita as their Healy, but they stop that quick, thank God.

A unique short, but when I'm through, I must ponder, "What the Hell did I just watch?"  Out of everything I reviewed, I freely admit this is the short I have the least understanding of that question.

5/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Can you say, "Giant flaming disaster"?  That's what this is.  This short has some great moments: Joe, Christine, and Emil are fantastic, if not fantastical.  The problem is The Nov-elites.  They're amusing for a brief moment, but they don't fit in a comedy.  Think the Three Stooges in THE BIG IDEA; that's what these guys were suited for, but in a 1948 style.  The soap thing was the best part of their shtincky shtick.

Joe getting abused by Emil was pretty good, and the troublesome pussy cat also worked well.  But The Nov-elites?  Not so much.  They severely hamper this.  I think the plan was similar to THE GLOVE SLINGERS in Columbia trying to appeal to the younger audiences.  Good effort, but not good for a comedy.

As a noveltie, 6/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]

As a Joe Derita short: 3/10 [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

That guitar looks like an Epiphone Emperor, one of the finest guitars ever made.  Sold for four hundred bucks in 1940. One of those in very good condition today is worth maybe eight grand.

Offline Curly Van Dyke

It's a pretty bad short. I enjoyed Joe's dance bits,especially with Polly Moran.
The Novel-Lites were one of those novelty trios that tried too hard to be funny.
Sort of a poor man's Hoosier HotShots(from Rockin' in the Rockies).

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well--maybe I'm getting soft in my old age--but I can't say this is the worst thing I ever saw. In stooge terms, I would put this pooch in the same neighborhood as a Dunked in the Deep or Saved By the Belle--that being, it's very bland, but not horrible.

I think I got one good laugh from Joe's adventure with the piano stool--that's it. The Nov-Elites didn't grate on my nerves, but they were not exactly memorable either. Again, the word "Bland" seems the best way to sum them up & this short.

4 out of 10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Well--maybe I'm getting soft in my old age--but I can't say this is the worst thing I ever saw. In stooge terms, I would put this pooch in the same neighborhood as a Dunked in the Deep or Saved By the Belle--that being, it's very bland, but not horrible.

I think I got one good laugh from Joe's adventure with the piano stool--that's it. The Nov-Elites didn't grate on my nerves, but they were not exactly memorable either. Again, the word "Bland" seems the best way to sum them up & this short.

4 out of 10....

Years ago, this would have been a 1/10 from me too, but I have softened in my old age also.  Nice to see your Derita reviews, Diesel.
- Doug Sarnecky