Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dizzy Yardbird (1950) - Joe Besser

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/326
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176657/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last week's short shocked me with how good it was, as it had interesting characters, a unique plot, great performances, and a perfect pace.  Does lightning strike twice?  Is the Joe Besser series up there with early 40's Stooge greatness?  Well, not exactly.  Forgetting for a moment that the latter shorts of this mere 10 short series are recycles of earlier shorts, DIZZY YARDBIRDS brings the series down back to Earth.  Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad short, it's perfectly acceptable entertainment.  The perfect adjective for this week's solo entry would be - stock.

What he have here is basically an army comedy.  It's released in 1950, you know, after SHOULDER ARMS, DOUGHBOYS, BOOBS IN ARMS, BUCK PRIVATES, etc. etc. etc., yadda yadda yadda.  Soldier who is incompetent?  Check, that's Joe Besser.  Angry sgt.?  Check, that's Dick Wessel.  Incompetent soldier has to peel potatoes and annoys equally angry cook?  Check.  Also, not an army cliche, but two superior officers bet for and against Joe becoming a soldier who with proper grooming, can be promoted in a month.  Kind of Hoi Polloish, no?  Perfectly normal scenarios we've seen dozens of times, kind of like slapstick comedy comfort food.

Joe is naive and incapable of seeing the mayhem he causes in this one, and even at the beginning, is shown to be a grown man living with his mother.  Not bad, but again, stock.  Compare to last week when Joe was basically a normal grown man (engaged with his own place), with one really weird habit of chasing fire truck.  I find that contrast funnier and more original.  I do like the table varnishing scene, even if it contains more character actors than Joe.  Great job by Emil Sitka in said scene.

Overall, a good short, 15 minutes of fun, but nothing that stands out amongst a slew of other comedies.  Shorts of this description usually get a.....

7/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The dog makes for an interesting plot device.  Keep in mind that the army drill routine seen in BOOBS IN ARMS were actually plagiarized from Besser's vaudeville reviews (can BeAStooge affirm or unfirm this?).  It's pretty funny watching Besser try to save the Sergeant from the fire as well.

Yeah, it's a pretty bland short, but it reinforces that Besser was indeed a talented actor capable of holding his own.  Having these contrasting the Stooge reviews makes it clear how much the problems there were beyond Besser. 

8/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Having these contrasting the Stooge reviews makes it clear how much the problems there were beyond Besser. 

Bingo
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I believe Felix Adler originally wrote this short for Buster Keaton (actually, I think a couple of years after his last Columbia short, SHE'S OIL MINE). It didn't work out, and it was dug out of the mothballs for Besser several years later.

And Emil gives us that great "smiley cross-eyed face" he pulls off in SLAPHAPPY SLEUTHS.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."