Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Aim, Fire, Scoot (1952) - Joe Besser

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/328
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131708/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Basically, again, another army comedy.  Again, Besser is teamed with Hawthorne, and unlike the last film, Besser doesn't get quite as much interaction with his partner.  I think this is due to the fact that being an army comedy, Besser gets more time dealing with a seargent as his straight man versus Hawthorne.  It's the basic patsy getting the seargent upset stuff we've seen a million times, including the "present arms" gag that involves throwing the rifle at the seargent that's done in BOOBS IN ARMS.  I have to say, Besser's "not so hard" bit works better with the sarge than Moe, I think Moe, for whatever reason, was so mellowed out by the Besser era while the sarge had fire.  We also get a bit of a play on the cannon gag from HALF-SHOT SHOOTERS where I won't give it away.  I'll just say it's the final gag of the short and lame because you'd think all parties would be better able to defend themselves.  Again, no spoiler, but if you see it, you'll know what I mean.

The best stuff is at the beginning.  The caught ina draft gag is surreal and bizarre, so that gets a big thumbs up.  Again, won't give it away, but it's at the beginning.  Joe and Hawthorne doing push ups near a skunk is a great gag, as are Joe push ups, which involve him putting his neck up and down.  These gags, plus Joe's energy, really carry this short.  Angela Stevens is really pretty and a bit underused, and overall, this is a good, but mostly basic, army film.  At least they didn't put Joe in jealous husband dramas!

7/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly Van Dyke

Yes, this is a Fun Besser short. I wish he and Hawthorne made more shorts.
Angela Stevens was a Babe!!! Catch her in Spies and Guys-runing around in a Sexy One-Piece Bathing Suit! RUFF RUFF!!!!!

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I agree with metaldams, except... 
Quote from: metaldams
It's the basic patsy getting the seargent upset stuff we've seen a million times, including the "present arms" gag that involves throwing the rifle at the seargent that's done in BOOBS IN ARMS.
keep in mind that this was Besser's material.  In short, Columbia ripped off Besser, or so I've seen (BeAStooge, please confirm or refute this), and it shows that Besser was the original.

I like this a bit better though.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.
It's a half-decent reworking of Boobs in Arms, but the banter between Besser and Henry Kulky is pretty funny.