Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Caught On the Bounce (1952) - Joe Besser

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/329
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176595/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIo2syKu2Yc

Watch CAUGHT ON THE BOUNCE in the link above, I think either footage is cut or it's sped up, hence the 12 plus minute running time.

Definitely the worst solo Besser short so far.  Basically, Joe has a heavy wife in Maxine Gates and a son.  They go packing on a trip to visit his aunt to borrow money, land on a train where the aunt happens to be, and accidentally stumble upon stolen money that gets them a reward.

Your enjoyment of this film depends on how much you like fat jokes, because there are a lot of them.  Joe and Maxine trying to hug, Maxine falling through a chair and needing to be plyed out, a porter trying to get Maxine on the upper berth of abunk and being flattened when she falls on him, a robber being bounced around pinball style between the bellies of Joe and Maxine...you get the point.  The occasional belly bounce is OK, but here, they milk the fat stuff ad nauseum. 

There is also a scene where the son gets caught in a trunk and Joe and Maxine are trying to get him out.  More uncomfortable than comic, the kid is complaining of how hot he is and that he is suffocating.  Really destroys any potential comic vibe. 

I will say Joe takes a few good items to the face, the tobacco/fudge scene is OK, and the pacing of the film works OK.  It's really just the comedy doesn't fall into my level of personal taste.  If the things I mention above don't bother you, up my score a few points.

6/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I apologize for not posting... I thought I had reviewed this short already, but I guess not...

Short summary: fat jokes galore

Best part: Joe and the tobacco, and the little monster getting his with it.

Johnny Kascier is credited for once!

8/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

For the record, this short clocks in at 15:39 on THE Three Stooges 3 DVD Rarities set. 

I somewhat agree with metaladams, in the overabundance of fat jokes.  While each of the gags are funny in of themselves, there's simply too many of them in one short, in my opinion.

That Rail Car set sure gets some mileage in Columbia shorts at about this time period.  I wonder how close the shooting schedules were for CAUGHT ON THE BOUNCE (1952), and The Three Stooges short CUCKOO ON A CHOO CHOO (1952), in which the rail car is portrayed as Shemp's abode?

CHEERS!   [pie]

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
That Rail Car set sure gets some mileage in Columbia shorts at about this time period.  I wonder how close the shooting schedules were for CAUGHT ON THE BOUNCE (1952), and The Three Stooges short CUCKOO ON A CHOO CHOO (1952), in which the rail car is portrayed as Shemp's abode?

BOUNCE (Apr. 28-30, 1952) was filmed virtually right after CUCKOO (Apr. 21-23, 1952).
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Tony Bensley

BOUNCE (Apr. 28-30, 1952) was filmed virtually right after CUCKOO (Apr. 21-23, 1952).
BOUNCE's first day of shooting coincides with my birthday, although I wasn't yet born.  :)

Aside from the Rail Car, I noticed a lot of other similarities between these two shorts.  One aspect in the Joe Besser short that struck me a bit odd, was that at least in this one Rail Car, there didn't appear to be any other sitting passengers, in what was supposed to be a moving Passenger Train.  ???

CHEERS!  [pie]