Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Buck Privates (1941) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

http://www.abbottandcostello.net/ac_films.html

Well here we go again - another comedy team with a large filmography we will be discussing!  This time it's Abbott and Costello.  I hope you all will enjoy reading these and I'd love to hear your comments, as usual.  A brief pre-history before getting into BUCK PRIVATES.  Bud and Lou met on the burlesque circuit in 1935, went into radio together a few years later and were signed by Universal in 1940.  Their first film, as supporting players, would be ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS.  They didn't make their debut until 15 minutes into that film but were used as comedy relief, doing several great routines including their most famous one, "Who's On First?"  They went over well enough with audiences to the point where Universal decided to give the team a starring vehicle.  This leads us to BUCK PRIVATES.

BUCK PRIVATES will be discussed in two ways.  The first way as a 1941 historical artifact and second way as an Abbott and Costello comedy because make no mistake about it, this is film has multiple personalities.  BUCK PRIVATES is three things in addition to being a Bud and Lou film.  It is a propaganda film, a musical and also a love story.

At the very beginning of the film, even before the credits roll, we are reminded of FDR signing the peacetime draft.  Yes, the U.S. government was preparing for World War II at this point and BUCK PRIVATES was no doubt a way to get the public behind the draft.  Some of them were still weary from World War I twenty years earlier and until Pearl Harbor, there was a resistance with some to join the war overseas.  We do get a sergeant getting a minute's worth of dialogue to his troops he's just meeting really talking up the draft effort, mentioning the tax payer and munition workers and how they are part of a team of everyone working together, so yes, no doubt the film is sending a message.  There is also a huge war games scene towards the end used to show off the latest in military technology.

1941 is also smack dab in the middle of the swing era and we get a lot of swing musical numbers as a result.  While most of these comedies with musical numbers have some bland studio contract actors handling the music (one of the musical numbers here suffers the same fate) Universal got The Andrews Sisters to handle the majority of the music.  They were a legitimate big name and talented act of their day and they still have fans, independent of Bud and Lou, to this day.  Look, I'm a guy with a Cliff Burton avatar so swing is not exactly my wheelhouse (my most popular bass cover on YouTube aside, oh, what the Hell, I'll link to it below), but I can see they had real talent and personality and are a breath of fresh air from what we usually get in these kind of moments.  "You're a Lucky Fellow, Mr. Smith" is a musical number that definitely falls into the propaganda mode.

The love story is typical let's make a man out of a millionaire playboy by putting him into the military stuff.  While Bud and Lou have more interaction with the love triangle than Stan and Ollie do in BONNIE SCOTLAND, it's not much more. 

As for Bud and Lou themselves, like so many, if not all of these movies, they are simply comic relief in their own film and have very little to do with the main plot.  Universal had no idea what to do with these guys yet as making them good film comedians artistically.  Commercially, that's another story.  While the great film comedy wouldn't really gel until some future films, as skit comedians, Bud and Lou are top notch here.  Though the routines feel like much welcome asides, Lou faking his ignorance with dice is a fantastic performance while Bud's never skip a beat straight man spiel in "You're 40, She's 10" and gypping Lou out of fifty dollars is fantastic stuff.  Jerry Seinfeld is right, Bud Abbott was the best straight man.  For pure physical comedy, Bud acting as Lou's sergeant is a fantastic scene.  The comic potential was there, it's just a shame Universal yet didn't know how to make this comedy as part of the story versus an aside.

Oh, and Stooge fans, Lou gets a musical number with Chef Shemp.  While Shemp's role is small, he does get a nice salty delivery and some great comic takes taking some flour in the face.  Lou's musical number is quite fun and gets interrupted by Nat Pendleton, who does a fine job as the Sarge.

So many of these Bud and Lou films have great comedy routines in not great comic films.  BUCK PRIVATES fits that mold but what does it matter?  The thing did MAJOR box office in it's day, making $4,000,000 on about a $180,000 - $245,000 (sources vary) budget.  I actually overall prefer post WWII features and the TV show best and I'm curious to see if watching these in order changes my mind.  So far, no, but we got a ways to go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgbJI495io

Watch me try out as the bass player for The Andrews Sisters in the link above.  This is when I played for Glenn Miller.  [pie]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:30:37 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alright, here’s my review from my blog:
https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/01/buck-privates-1941-review.html

Looking back, I don’t have a lot to add to what I’ve said. Like I said, the film has so many great comedic moments and some of the best songs you’ll see in an Abbott and Costello film. But that romance...it’s just so terrible and besides ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, this seems to be the one with the most obtrusive couple, and ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS isn’t technically an Abbott and Costello vehicle! Really, my main problem is with Lee Bowman’s character. He’s just so annoying! He constantly bothers Jane Frazee’s character and lets down his entire troop just so he could keep annoying her! Yeah, he does save his partner towards the end, but everything else about him is just so annoying that I can’t stand watching him.

While Abbott and Costello do have a little more interaction with the romantic leads in BUCK PRIVATES than Laurel and Hardy do the leads in BONNIE SCOTLAND, at least Laurel and Hardy help the romance move along by giving Allan the tip to join the Army. Here, all Abbott and Costello do is trick Lee Bowman’s character into thinking he’s needed by the sergeant.

One other note: Shemp is pretty underutilized in this, though I still think that towel bit is hilarious.

If it weren’t for the romantic leads, I honestly would consider this as among their best films, perhaps even their best considering I like most of the musical numbers and they have so much energy with their routines. As it stands, it’s OK, though I do think it tends to be overrated by fans.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Alright, here’s my review from my blog:
https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/01/buck-privates-1941-review.html

Looking back, I don’t have a lot to add to what I’ve said. Like I said, the film has so many great comedic moments and some of the best songs you’ll see in an Abbott and Costello film. But that romance...it’s just so terrible and besides ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, this seems to be the one with the most obtrusive couple, and ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS isn’t technically an Abbott and Costello vehicle! Really, my main problem is with Lee Bowman’s character. He’s just so annoying! He constantly bothers Jane Frazee’s character and lets down his entire troop just so he could keep annoying her! Yeah, he does save his partner towards the end, but everything else about him is just so annoying that I can’t stand watching him.

While Abbott and Costello do have a little more interaction with the romantic leads in BUCK PRIVATES than Laurel and Hardy do the leads in BONNIE SCOTLAND, at least Laurel and Hardy help the romance move along by giving Allan the tip to join the Army. Here, all Abbott and Costello do is trick Lee Bowman’s character into thinking he’s needed by the sergeant.

One other note: Shemp is pretty underutilized in this, though I still think that towel bit is hilarious.

If it weren’t for the romantic leads, I honestly would consider this as among their best films, perhaps even their best considering I like most of the musical numbers and they have so much energy with their routines. As it stands, it’s OK, though I do think it tends to be overrated by fans.

I was reading a bunch of your Abbott and Costello reviews this weekend, it's really good stuff.  Looking forward to digging into these films.  There are some we definitely agree on.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Something else I want to mention are my grandfathers, born in 1920 and 1923, both fought in WWII.  The one born in 1920 died a few years before I was born, though I do have a hand written letter written in 1945 by him to his parents mentioning the blown up buildings (in Italy), the culture shock the men faced being overseas, traveling by sea, and the relief whenever they got a break from action.  The grandfather I did know died in 1993 when I was 14 and other than one incident saying how the men had to hold their bladder on a train for days and there's no way women could do that (heh, the days before PC), he never talked about the war.

The point is these men went through Hell and it's strange to see such gaiety towards all of this in BUCK PRIVATES.  I read a review by a WWII vet, probably on imdb but I can't remember, saying training was Hell, nothing like it is shown in BUCK PRIVATES and there were certainly no girls there as pretty as Jane Frazee.  I can believe all that.

BUCK PRIVATES can be much better as a Bud and Lou comedy, but I neglected to mention for historical importance and a cultural artifact, for better or worse, this film is a classic.  Also crazy to think my grandfather born in 1923, was only 18 when Pearl Harbor happened.  So he was one of the younger ones at the start of the war - he'd be 96 in September.  So crazy to think that generation is almost no more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I was reading a bunch of your Abbott and Costello reviews this weekend, it's really good stuff.  Looking forward to digging into these films.  There are some we definitely agree on.

Thanks. Looking forward to more discussion.

Something else I want to mention are my grandfathers, born in 1920 and 1923, both fought in WWII.  The one born in 1920 died a few years before I was born, though I do have a hand written letter written in 1945 by him to his parents mentioning the blown up buildings (in Italy), the culture shock the men faced being overseas, traveling by sea, and the relief whenever they got a break from action.  The grandfather I did know died in 1993 when I was 14 and other than one incident saying how the men had to hold their bladder on a train for days and there's no way women could do that (heh, the days before PC), he never talked about the war.

The point is these men went through Hell and it's strange to see such gaiety towards all of this in BUCK PRIVATES.  I read a review by a WWII vet, probably on imdb but I can't remember, saying training was Hell, nothing like it is shown in BUCK PRIVATES and there were certainly no girls there as pretty as Jane Frazee.  I can believe all that.

BUCK PRIVATES can be much better as a Bud and Lou comedy, but I neglected to mention for historical importance and a cultural artifact, for better or worse, this film is a classic.  Also crazy to think my grandfather born in 1923, was only 18 when Pearl Harbor happened.  So he was one of the younger ones at the start of the war - he'd be 96 in September.  So crazy to think that generation is almost no more.

One of my grandfathers also was in World War II. Apparently he hated talking talking about (he died shortly after I was born), so I doubt his experience was any better.

BUCK PRIVATES was released before the attack on Pearl Harbor, so I suppose it’s a bit understandable as to why training isn’t portrayed so seriously in it. Well, that and the fact that it’s a comedy during the Code era (all those restrictions probably kept them from showing as much about that kind of stuff as they wanted).
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Watch me try out as the bass player for The Andrews Sisters in the link above.  This is when I played for Glenn Miller.  [pie]

I thought I was looking at a slightly seedy post-MASH Gary Burghoff when that video began.  lol

Offline metaldams

I thought I was looking at a slightly seedy post-MASH Gary Burghoff when that video began.  lol

Shit, I do look like him.  LOL. I’ve been told Rick Moranis as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Shit, I do look like him.  LOL. I’ve been told Rick Moranis as well.
You definitely look like post M*A*S*H Gary Burghoff.  However, Gary has a deformed hand which would make playing the bass a bit of a challenge. You can see it in the opening of the very first episode, but subsequently, that hand was always carefully concealed from view. Very good playing, by the way!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

You definitely look like post M*A*S*H Gary Burghoff.  However, Gary has a deformed hand which would make playing the bass a bit of a challenge. You can see it in the opening of the very first episode, but subsequently, that hand was always carefully concealed from view. Very good playing, by the way!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Django Reinhardt had two fingers and was better than me.  [pie]. Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath had the tips of two fretting fingers cut off by a welding machine and had wax tips put on that he made himself. He had to tune his guitar lower to get looser strings, but he made it work.  Check out his fretting hand in close up shots anytime you see concert footage, it’s unusual.

Thanks for the compliment.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Django Reinhardt had two fingers and was better than me.  [pie]. Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath had the tips of two fretting fingers cut off by a welding machine and had wax tips put on that he made himself. He had to tune his guitar lower to get looser strings, but he made it work.  Check out his fretting hand in close up shots anytime you see concert footage, it’s unusual.

Thanks for the compliment.
Harold Lloyds of the metal world!  Too cool!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

Harold Lloyds of the metal world!  Too cool!  [pie]

Django is actually jazz, but point well taken.  Yes, definite Harold Lloyds.  Below is a picture of Django’s hand.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

The Andrews Sisters also appear in the first Ritz Brothers movie at Universal "Argentine Nights" in 1940.

Offline metaldams

The Andrews Sisters also appear in the first Ritz Brothers movie at Universal "Argentine Nights" in 1940.

That’s cool, I had no idea.  Thanks.  I had no idea The Ritz Brothers made films at Universal and I’ve only seen a couple of their movies from Fox.  Universal using The Andrews Sisters for another comedy team in 1940 definitely set a precedent I had no idea about until now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't know if it's fair to say much about this movie, given that my original opinion of it hasn't changed much over the years. Wartime propaganda or not, I've always thought this was the most overrated Bud & Lou movie & so many of these routines they are legendary for--like Turn on the Radio or Dice were done much better in other movies or their 2 season TV show. I'm not really sure a recent viewing of BP would change my mind.

5/10
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I don't know if it's fair to say much about this movie, given that my original opinion of it hasn't changed much over the years. Wartime propaganda or not, I've always thought this was the most overrated Bud & Lou movie & so many of these routines they are legendary for--like Turn on the Radio or Dice were done much better in other movies or their 2 season TV show. I'm not really sure a recent viewing of BP would change my mind.

5/10

The film is very overrated as compared to other Bud and Lou films.  Again, historical importance aside, all the best laughs can be found in other avenues.  Agree with everything you say.  There is only one definite WWII era film I consider a classic at the moment and I’m hoping my opinion changes as I watch these again.

As a monster fan, and I know you’ll agree, I’m looking forward to talking Bela, Boris and Chaney Jr.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
  • my mother knows my name
I enjoy this movie a lot. There's other Abbott and Costello movies that I'd prefer to watch over this one, though. Historically, it's an important film. The comedy routines are some of Bud and Lou's best, imo. I read somewhere that this film was used as propaganda in Japan to show how "incompetent" Americans are. The Andrews Sisters are great as always. I think my favorite scene is the radio playing in the barracks.

And of course, gotta love Shemp! :)

Offline metaldams

I enjoy this movie a lot. There's other Abbott and Costello movies that I'd prefer to watch over this one, though. Historically, it's an important film. The comedy routines are some of Bud and Lou's best, imo. I read somewhere that this film was used as propaganda in Japan to show how "incompetent" Americans are. The Andrews Sisters are great as always. I think my favorite scene is the radio playing in the barracks.

I too have heard the Japanese propaganda thing, thanks for bringing that up.  That would be totally bizarre if true.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

Every time I watch BUCK PRIVATES I come away, well, not only incredibly happy, but just feeling like I've watched the greatest comedy ever made.  Has there ever been a comedian who inspires more warmth and love, and radiates more innocence than Lou Costello?  Laurel and Hardy, OK, probably, Curly Howard, maybe, but to steal the title of a memoir I've read a zillion times, Lou's On First.

We're all lucky fellows, Mr. Smith  :)

"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Tony Bensley

Yes to pretty much all of this. I'm actually more inclined to viewing its BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME (1947) sequel, the only one Bud & Lou ever made, unless you count their "Meet the Monsters" features as sequels (I don't).

My best guess would be the Japanese drew from the "Marching Drill" routine.

CHEERS!  [pie]