Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

In the Navy (1941) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

We’re now at the second released starring vehicle of Abbott and Costello, IN THE NAVY.  Interestingly enough, the majority of the third release, HOLD THAT GHOST, was filmed before this.  The story goes while HOLD THAT GHOST was being filmed, BUCK PRIVATES was released to theaters and became a massive hit.  Universal, never one to let a profitable idea be used once (see the multiple monster films as an example, which will later play into the Bud and Lou story), decided to delay production on HOLD THAT GHOST and get another service comedy into the theaters as quickly as possible.  Henceforth, IN THE NAVY was begat for release on the third stone from the sun in the year nineteen hundred and forty one of our Lord.  Like it’s predecessor, IN THE NAVY made millions.  Not quite as many millions, but still a Hell of a lot to turn a nifty profit.

Artistically, IN THE NAVY is the better film.  It’s still not a perfectly constructed comedy like a lot of us would prefer, but it was also never intended to be.  Comedy, romance, music and militarism were mixed together just like in BUCK PRIVATES.  This time around, more confidence was shown in the comedians as they played a bigger part in the story and had a lot more screen time.  Also, the routines were just flat out funnier.

The first fifteen or twenty minutes, things don’t look so good for Bud and Lou again.  While they do get some fun antics on the street - I love the way Bud confuses Lou on whether he should or shouldn’t get that ticket depending on who’s around, a staple over the years - the majority of it sets up the story with the leading man and lady.  Not quite as sappy this time around and fun as light entertainment I suppose.  The famous crooner (Dick Powell) wants to hide in the Navy from his crazed public while the leading lady reporter (Claire Dodd) takes his picture for a scoop and eventually falls in love.  We also get a big Naval musical number thrown in, but after that, screen time is more generous for Bud and Lou.  As far as this plot goes, there is interaction with Bud and Lou, including the leading man getting in a comic routine with Lou trying take take her camera film away and the leading lady blackmailing Lou to get her to hide on the ship.  So yes, more confidence in the comedians this time.  A $4,000,000 gross in 1941 will inspire that.

As far as the music goes, all of the best scenes again go to The Andrews Sisters.  They really are the best as far as any music routine in a comedy goes not done by the comedian.  Too bad they didn’t stick around much longer because future films, if they must have music, could have really used them.  “Give Me Some Skin” is definitely a fun number.  In addition to Bud and Lou, Universal also gave The Andrews Sisters much more to do, integrating them more into the plot and giving Patty and Lou a fun comic romance.

As far as Bud and Lou, again, mostly skit comedy and not film comedy, but man, what great skit comedy it is.  These guys were on the top of their game here.  Watching Lou trying to get into that hammock always impresses me.  The lemon bit combined with Bud gypping Lou out of every last dollar with his bizarre counting is always a treat to watch.  The topper of course is when Lou tries to trick Shemp only to trick himself!  7 X 13 = 28 is another favorite routine of mine.  Bud’s disbelief and Lou showing the multiple ways to do distorted math never fail to make me laugh.  I always think of this routine when I think of this film.  As far as the Sons of Neptune initiation, every time I watch that scene all I see is a bunch of energetic guys having a lot of fun on screen.  I don’t know if their laughing and smiling was scripted or not, but the romantic in me would like to think it wasn’t.

As far as character actors, I’ll give that Shemp guy a spotlight.  While he does not have as much screen time as we would all like, he’s still good with what he has.  I love the way he leads Lou on in the Sons of Neptune scene, he plays a great shyster.

One thing I am not too much a fan of is the ending comic scene.  The whole idea of Lou taking over the ship and accidentally making a bunch of ships going off into the wrong direction really plays out like a heavily edited scene that gives the comedians too little to do.  Similar to my complaint with the plane scene in THE FLYING DEUCES.  The scene also had to be made a dream sequence at the last minute because the real Navy would not allow a scene of them being incompetent enough to allow Lou to take over the ship. 

Again, not a classic overall film, but some classic moments for sure.  Of the three peacetime draft service comedies, IN THE NAVY is my favorite.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
  • my mother knows my name
I actually took the time to type this out in my notes app before posting. Makes me sound more intelligent haha

I have early memories of this film. My dad had a select few Abbott and Costello films on VHS. This one and HOLD THAT GHOST were my absolute favorites, and they still are. I remember being obsessed with the music and performing "Give Me Some Skin" to my mom in my bedroom. I was five, I think. But, onto the review.
I agree with metaldams, in that this is the better film. I think BUCK PRIVATES is a better historical film, but IN THE NAVY excels in comedy and plot.
The Sons of Neptune initiation is my favorite scene and I really believe a lot of it was unscripted. The smiles and laughs are just too genuine. I was never a huge fan of Lou's dream sequence but as I get older, I appreciate it more. There's a great line that Lou says to Patty in this scene, but I can't think of it at the moment. I'll have to reply to this later if I remember it. The tap dancing is always fun to watch as well.
I can't forget to give The Andrews Sisters credit, too. The songs in BUCK PRIVATES are classics, but the songs in IN THE NAVY have more... enthusiasm to them, in my opinion. I just get the feeling they had more fun doing these numbers.
Lastly, I'm happy Shemp got a slightly bigger role in this film. He's great in this.

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/01/in-navy-1941-review.html

One thing I didn’t mention in my review that I should have is that, though I think it’s more interesting this time around, the romantic plot is still silly. Kind of goes without saying, but still felt it should be addressed.

Like I said in my review, this is overall better put together as a story than BUCK PRIVATES, especially since Abbott and Costello are actually friends with Dick Powell’s character. If only this had most of BUCK PRIVATES’s songs.

I do like the climax, but, yes, the whole dream thing is pretty stupid. In general I hate those kinds of endings, especially when it’s for something like this that’s supposed to be the major turning point for a character. Yeah, it’s Costello, but it still would be nice to see him end the movie with at least a little dignity.

BUCK PRIVATES is probably the more famous film, but I still think IN THE NAVY is the better put together film of the three (four if you count BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME) service comedies.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
  • my mother knows my name
https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/01/in-navy-1941-review.html

One thing I didn’t mention in my review that I should have is that, though I think it’s more interesting this time around, the romantic plot is still silly. Kind of goes without saying, but still felt it should be addressed.

I agree. But, aren't all the romantic plots silly in their films? It's cute and cheesy, but I still manage to roll my eyes here and there. I'll make the exception for Ride 'Em Cowboy, though. I like Bronco Bob and Anne.

Offline metaldams

I agree. But, aren't all the romantic plots silly in their films? It's cute and cheesy, but I still manage to roll my eyes here and there. I'll make the exception for Ride 'Em Cowboy, though. I like Bronco Bob and Anne.

I haven’t seen RIDE ‘EM COWBOY in years so I’ll see if there is an exception when I get to it.

Years ago, I used to dismiss the romantic plots in comedies outright if the comedian was not involved.  The silent comedians, they were the romantic subplot in addition to the comedy, big difference. I’ve become more tolerable of these plots as my beard gets grayer but you’re right, the romantic subplots in these things are generally silly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Sure, but I was just saying so because I realized in some of my reviews that I tend to give some of these romantic plots so much praise when, really, it’s mainly a case of not being intolerable like some of the others.

I have some strong opinions against Dick Foran so, sorry it looks like we may be in disagreement there.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Someday, when I'm not busy I need to watch this film again & see if I do the same copy about too much Andrews Sisters & overall sappy romantic shit & not enough comedy. I also forgot to mention in another thread that Buck Privates Come Home is miles ahead of the original. One thing I do enjoy reading these comments is remembering stuff you probably forgot like Sons of Neptune.

They did that on the tv show, whatever the hell they called it (The Honeybee) iirc--at any rate, that shit had me breaking ribs & it's very obvious that's genuine laughs from everyone involved. Probably need to watch this one again, but probably the same grade as a lot of the early stuff; just good, with Hold That Ghost bucking the early trend. That movie deserves some bouquets.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.