The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Home on the Rage (1938) - Andy Clyde and Shemp Howard

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/269
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166650/

Shemp Howard co-starred in four shorts of the Andy Clyde Columbia shorts series in the late 1930s.  The first of these, NOT GUILTY ENOUGH, was supposedly one of the best shorts Columbia made with Andy (I remember not where I read this), but it's a lost film as of July 10, 2019.

Today we focus instead on HOME ON THE RAGE, the first surviving short.  This one is a prime example of both Andy's style of humor and the style Shemp had in the 1930s and 1940s.

HOME ON THE RAGE is an interesting short with a typical domestic plotline: [spoiler] Andy thinks his wife and annoying brother-in-law (Happy, Shemp Howard) are plotting to kill him.  The uncredited dog is an important part of this short.  In short, Happy keeps making Andy miserable.  First he ruins a business deal which sees a wonderful, but short, scene involving Vernon Dent.  Then Happy destroys the home.  It's an interesting plotline that, strangely given Columbia's style, was never repeated.

Andy is an actor who, like Stan Laurel, requires a short or two to really appreciate.  His style is to keep being pushed, take it quietly, and then suddenly explode in an emotional outburst.  Here, we see how this works with the opening as well as his multiple attacks on Shemp.  He is sinisterly vengeful much like Moe can be, and that helps work well with Shemp.

Shemp is in his more annoying early self, which more resembles his Stooges character than his Columbia solos character.  His character here is more of an overgrown manchild who just doesn't think before he acts and thinks his ideas are the best.  He's quick, smarmy, and able to yelp well.  Strangely, it makes a good clash with Andy Clyde.

Lela Bliss and and Robin Raymond aren't the best ever, but they did well with what they had.  The latter gets a good moment with Shemp trying to ask her out that ends in a strange way.

The ending [spoiler alert again] when the dog walks up the stairs with Shemp's pants as the scene fades out is pretty good.  It's a good effort for this pairing, and I'm going to chalk it up to the combination of Del Lord directing and James W. Horne writing.  For those who don't know, James W. Horne was the author the Laurel and Hardy films BIG BUSINESS, BONNIE SCOTLAND, and WAY OUT WEST.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:32:05 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

That was a pretty good one. I hadn't seen the Andy Clydes in awhile & maybe that jogged my memory that too much Clyde may not be the greatest thing, but Shemp's in it, so 7/10...

;)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline metaldams

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, not a Bolton fan.  Horrible war mongering piece of shit.  But man, for years I thought he looks like Andy Clyde.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, I’ve made it clear in the past how much I hate in-law comedies, but Shemp is one of the few actors who can make it work...at least, work as well as possible. Shemp’s character is portrayed as being annoying to Andy, but his comic style and way of talking make it so that I actually enjoy seeing him on screen.

I’m not hugely familiar with Andy Clyde’s work, though I do recall him and Shemp actually making a very good pairing in their next effort together, MONEY SQUAWKS. Here, Clyde’s craziness towards the end is pretty funny and I do like the idea of the misunderstanding. However, it does feel slow early on whenever Shemp isn’t on screen and even sometimes when he is. Overall, this is a fine enough short.

7 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
C3/Columbia bastards struck here and on BOOBS IN THE WOODS.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

For the record, C3 doesn’t own the films, only the rights to the images of The Three Stooges.  In this case, it’s Sony who owns the films, In the Shemp Vitaphone case, it’s Warner Brothers.

It does suck the films get pulled.  :(. I’m limited to an extent as to what songs I can cover on my YouTube channel for copyright stuff as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline I. Cheatam

This was remade somewhat with Vernon and Quillan in 1948 as Parlor, Bedroom, and Wrath and again in 1954 as Doggie in the Bedroom.