In the Dough (1933) - Roscoe Arbuckle, Lionel Stander, and Shemp Howard

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/210
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023059/

Here's a link to IN THE DOUGH: https://archive.org/details/InTheDough1932_933

There is no online video for CLOSE RELATIONS, so we jump right into the tragic IN THE DOUGH.  Filming of IN THE DOUGH was completed on June 29, 1933... sadly, that evening, Roscoe Arbuckle passed away from a massive heart attack at the age of 46.

Lionel Stander was a frequent actor in these Vitaphone shorts, and especially he seems to show up when Shemp Howard does.  We'll be seeing a lot of Shemp and a lot of Lionel.  The former is a great actor who plays many roles in different ways.  The latter is a decent actor who plays many roles with the same shtick over and over.

IN THE DOUGH is an entry comparable to Roscoe's work right around the time Buster Keaton came into the picture.  Roscoe impressively had no trouble reviving his acting chops, and he does very well in the sound era.  I actually saw this before any of his silents, so the voice matched the face before the acting style did.    Overall, it's a pretty basic plot quite similar to the Stooges THREE LOAN WOLVES.

I think overall the cast is fine except for the stutter Marie Marion's character had.  I could do it myself, but I'll let the experts tell me if that's just a character thing or if Marie really had that awful stutter.  Lionel Stander does fine as a slimy gangster with Shemp as his henchman.  Shemp basically is the funnyman here, and he delivers as usual.

Problem is that there's nothing memorable here, but overall a decent effort even if a sad one.

8/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Amazingly shot over the last four days of Arbuckle’s life, as Paul mentioned.  You’d never know it, the man still falling on his back side and getting involved in massive dough and pie fights like it’s 1917 all over again.  It’s such a shame we have all those lost years professionally but at least he went out being Roscoe on screen.  Really would have been fascinating to see what kind of features he would have made at Warner Brothers.  His voice and delivery are perfectly fine.  A kitchen, messy pie and dough fights, a revolving kitchen door running gag that knocks people to the ground, exploding cakes, a stuttering character, a running gag with a man who wants a cake with a capital S - simply an unpretentious comedy short that is entertaining all the way around and most importantly, feels like an Arbuckle film.  I wish Roscoe would have lived a lot longer (he was way too young, the poor guy),  but since it was his time, I’m glad he went out making an entertaining short like this.

As far as Shemp goes, he plays the stooge to Lionel Stander’s Ted Healy.  Stander, who is excellent here, plays the comic gangster while Shemp takes the slaps and gets the occasional one liner.  I like the way he  he asks a prospective baker that’s about to be bumped off if he can make lady fingers.  Shemp does get in on the dough and pie fight action and while not a star comedian, is used well in a supporting role.  Overall, I think Shemp was used much better by Vitaphone than he was at Columbia outside of The Three Stooges. 

So yeah, IN THE DOUGH is worth watching as a fun comedy short, a swan song for Arbuckle, and an early Shemp appearance.  Good stuff.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
      Amazingly shot over the last four days of Arbuckle’s life, as Paul mentioned.  You’d never know it, the man still falling on his back side and getting involved in massive dough and pie fights like it’s 1917 all over again.  It’s such a shame we have all those lost years professionally but at least he went out being Roscoe on screen.  Really would have been fascinating to see what kind of features he would have made at Warner Brothers.  His voice and delivery are perfectly fine.  A kitchen, messy pie and dough fights, a revolving kitchen door running gag that knocks people to the ground, exploding cakes, a stuttering character, a running gag with a man who wants a cake with a capital S - simply an unpretentious comedy short that is entertaining all the way around and most importantly, feels like an Arbuckle film.  I wish Roscoe would have lived a lot longer (he was way too young, the poor guy),  but since it was his time, I’m glad he went out making an entertaining short like this.

As far as Shemp goes, he plays the stooge to Lionel Stander’s Ted Healy.  Stander, who is excellent here, plays the comic gangster while Shemp takes the slaps and gets the occasional one liner.  I like the way he asks a prospective baker that’s about to be bumped off if he can make lady fingers.  Shemp does get in on the dough and pie fight action and, while not a star comedian, is used well in a supporting role.  Overall, I think Shemp was used much better by Vitaphone than he was at Columbia outside of The Three Stooges. 

So yeah, IN THE DOUGH is worth watching as a fun comedy short, a swan song for Arbuckle, and an early Shemp appearance.  Good stuff.

I agree with this entire statement.  Roscoe didn't miss a beat despite his years out of pictures. 

I couldn't decide if the prospective baker got bumped off or if they were trying to steal his clothes because of Stander's pants getting ripped off him.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Pretty fun short overall. Yeah, it is surprising to think that Arbuckle died the night it was completed, because he’s still doing all that physical stuff without showing any signs of fatigue. Shemp, of course, is funny, and Lionel Stander is a good choice for Shemp’s boss. Most of the running gags are funny: the in/out doors, Shemp’s tie, the man who wants a large cake with a capital S. The only problem is that I feel bad for the way Marie Marion’s character gets treated throughout the short (I don’t know if she stuttered in real life, but the way she does it doesn’t have the comic exaggeration of Porky Pig, and the boss seems to take a lot of his anger out on her). Otherwise, a nice way to spend 22 minutes.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Except for the mostly unfunny "Tomalio" (filmed before "In the Dough," but the last to be released), the Arbuckle Vitaphone shorts are worthwhile comic gems. Adapting well to sound, Roscoe hadn't missed a beat after a decade-long absence from the silver screen.
Moviegoers and theater owners were certainly glad to see him back (it's heartening to read the positive trade reviews from 1932-33), which makes it doubly tragic that Arbuckle's comeback was short-lived.

Motion Picture Herald printed this November 1933 comment from an exhibitor in Paris, Arkansas:  "Fatty dead gets more laughs than any of the live ones I can find. Wish he had lived to make 52."

I recently purchased the Arbuckle Vitaphone two-reelers on DVD-R — along with a generous selection of Shemp's early solo work — and the print quality is largely excellent. Some have rightly complained about Warner Archive forgoing DVD pressings on the Vitaphone shorts, but I can live with it.