Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

It Ain’t Hay (1943) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

My least favorite Stooge film, HORSING AROUND, involves sentimentality with a horse.  My least favorite Laurel and Hardy film, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, involves sentimentality with a child (though so does one of my favorite Chaplin films, it must be said). Well, guess what?  IT AIN’T HAY has both horse and child sentimentality all rolled into one.  So yeah, of the films we’ve discussed to date, this would be my least favorite one so far and possibly my least favorite overall.  I say possibly because so many of these films I’ve only seen once or twice and it’s been so many years.  If IT AIN’T HAY is my least favorite, it’s not a bad film to be the worst, as it does have its moments.

Still, there’s a lot you have to get through to get to those moments.  The film opens with our leading lady and leading man as passengers on a horse carriage by our singing leading child star, played by the 12 year old Patsy O’ Connor.  She’s not Boy King level bad like in NOTHING BUT TROUBLE and I suppose carries herself well for what the role is - it’s just that I feel the role doesn’t belong in an Abbott and Costello film.  The main problem is when Lou interacts with her, they’re on the same intellectual and emotional level, and it’s just bizarre seeing a physically grown man act like that.  Lou has always had a child like quality, but in other films he’s attracted to a grown woman or showing some hidden street smart (think “boxcars.”).  There’s a balance between child and adult.  Here, the childlike quality goes too far.  As far as the couple, not much of a role.  A brief story how he has to raise money for a variety show.  He’s military and no doubt was used to stir up patriotism during the war.  The leading lady role is just pretty girl decoration.  No knock on Grace McDonald, it’s just that she didn’t dramatically have an interesting role.

We do get a dying horse, a Lou sympathy scene where everyone blames him for it and a very uncomfortable slap.  In a fairly dramatic bit, Bud slaps Lou after calling him a horse thief.  After that, the film goes directly into a dramatic scene with the couple, complete with sentimental music.  A slap like that needs to feel comic and the fact that Lou is more child like than usual here makes the slap feel that much more uncomfortable.  I can’t find one Moe Howard slap in the entire Stooge canon I feel that way about.  Oh yeah, Shemp is in this one too, playing the role of (coughs, clears throat) Umbrella Sam.  Again, wasted just like he is in any role I’ve seen him in at Universal.  He’s one of three comic quasi gangsters who gets overshadowed by one of his partners, played by Eddie Quillan.  Seriously, check out the faces the guy makes.  It’s closed captioning for, “I’d like a slice of ham.”  Quite fascinating.

There are some good things.  Bud and Lou, in spite of the child like Lou bits, are in high energy form here.  No scenes that are all time classics, but I do enjoy greatly the scene in the cafeteria where Lou can’t pay and also the scene where Bud and Lou are trying to get the horse in the stable.  Not bad for a team to have what I perceive to be one of their worst films with scenes of this quality.  Also, I love Eugene Pallette in just about anything he’s in and IT AIN’T HAY is no exception.

So my least favorite film so far and to be honest, with the films going up to the mid 40’s (pre quasi-split and Lou wanting to be experimental), I really don’t know what to expect as it’s been so long since I’ve seen them.  It should be interesting, I’m curious if any of these films will stand out.  Next week is the final Laurel and Hardy film and from there we’ll pick up the pace with Bud and Lou and start discussing their films weekly.  Looking forward to it,
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

The YouTube upload appears to be from the VHS Nostalgia Merchants transfer. Very poor quality, but viewable.  The DVD version on the ABBOTT & COSTELLO Universal Trunk set is much nicer.  It's too bad that much of their catalogue will already have been reviewed by the time the (Much unexpected!) Shout! Factory Blu-ray set gets released later this fall.  For those with $100 + to spare, it'll hopefully be finally possible to view ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955) in it's original 2:1 aspect ratio. As Bob Furmanek has had some input on this project, I am optimistic that it will be!

But, I severely digress.

While I did finally get a fresh viewing of IT AIN'T HAY (1943) after I picked up the 2014 Edition of the ABBOTT & COSTELLO COMPLETE UNIVERSAL COLLECTION a few years ago, the memory of it still doesn't stick out all that much for me. It was a welcome addition to my ABBOTT & COSTELLO video collection, but IS in my opinion, slightly below par for Bud and Lou's early pre Rheumatic Fever (Which felled Lou Costello for about nine months, and he would suffer subsequent periodic bouts throughout the rest of his life!) Universal period.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

I’ll have to look up that rheumatic fever incident and compare his performances.  Interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I know more than 99.9% of the public about Bud and Lou, but amongst classic comedy fans, I’m not an expert.  Better versed in other acts.

I have the 4 volume double sided DVDs that came out about 15 years ago or so. A few sides play on some players and not others, so I’m considering the blu ray set.  IT AIN’T HAY was never included because there were some copyright issues that weren’t resolved at the time, so I bought the single disc Universal Vault release that came out years later.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I’ll have to look up that rheumatic fever incident and compare his performances.  Interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I know more than 99.9% of the public about Bud and Lou, but amongst classic comedy fans, I’m not an expert.  Better versed in other acts.

I have the 4 volume double sided DVDs that came out about 15 years ago or so. A few sides play on some players and not others, so I’m considering the blu ray set.  IT AIN’T HAY was never included because there were some copyright issues that weren’t resolved at the time, so I bought the single disc Universal Vault release that came out years later.
I had those 4 volumes for a long time, and had to exchange the 1st and 3rd volumes at least a couple of times at Walmart, due to the skipping issues. Quite a few times, I was this close to getting the Universal Vault IT AIN'T HAY (1943) DVD, but the price was always either a bit too high or bizarrely, it became at least temporarily unavailable on Amazon Canada, as it did right before the revised Trunk set went on sale on that site really cheap in November 2014; around $52 and change, so I ended up getting that set, instead. As I no longer really have disposable income for home video items, that trunk set will most likely have to be good enough for me, but that upcoming Blu-ray Abbott and Costello Complete Universal set would probably be the way to go for you, especially if you can grab it on a Black Friday sale, or something along that line. Bob Furmanek has said there will be some very special extras included on this upcoming Blu-ray set.

Regarding Lou's bouts of Rheumatic fever, I recall reading that he had at least 4 bouts, dating from the first one in 1943 that was by far, the most publicized. It was only many years later that I heard of his subsequent bouts, that I believe occurred between the late 1940s and the mid 1950s. I'm thinking Bob Furmanek and Rod Palumbo might have that documented in their Abbott and Costello tome, but not having that book, I can't say so with 100% certainty.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/07/it-aint-hay-1943.html

Yes, this is the movie I got my username from. What can I say? I like Shemp and thought it was an interesting name.

As for the actual movie, I like it for the most part. Like I mention in the review, that horse number is one of the most pointless things ever in an Abbott and Costello film (which is saying a lot) and while Shemp isn’t particularly funny here...well, he’s not really funny in any of them except AFRICA SCREAMS. I still think he does fine with what he’s allowed to do.

As I’ve made clear, I’m usually fine with whenever many of the classic comedians do sentimentality, some of which I really enjoy like Laurel and Hardy’s PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES. I can see some of your points like Abbott’s slap, which was kind of uncomfortable, but I still do think Lou himself handles the dramatic moments well. Abbott and Costello didn’t always have the most consistent format, so I don’t feel that the sentimentality is too out of place (with other comedians like Laurel and Hardy, even though I like their sentimental films, I do have to admit that they’re pretty untypical for them).

Not much else for me to add. Not great, but I still like it.

Sorry I’m a bit behind on other reviews. The last few weeks have been busy, but this week might not be so bad, so hopefully I can catch up with the Laurel and Hardy and Shemp reviews.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

I had those 4 volumes for a long time, and had to exchange the 1st and 3rd volumes at least a couple of times at Walmart, due to the skipping issues. Quite a few times, I was this close to getting the Universal Vault IT AIN'T HAY (1943) DVD, but the price was always either a bit too high or bizarrely, it became at least temporarily unavailable on Amazon Canada, as it did right before the revised Trunk set went on sale on that site really cheap in November 2014; around $52 and change, so I ended up getting that set, instead. As I no longer really have disposable income for home video items, that trunk set will most likely have to be good enough for me, but that upcoming Blu-ray Abbott and Costello Complete Universal set would probably be the way to go for you, especially if you can grab it on a Black Friday sale, or something along that line. Bob Furmanek has said there will be some very special extras included on this upcoming Blu-ray set.

Regarding Lou's bouts of Rheumatic fever, I recall reading that he had at least 4 bouts, dating from the first one in 1943 that was by far, the most publicized. It was only many years later that I heard of his subsequent bouts, that I believe occurred between the late 1940s and the mid 1950s. I'm thinking Bob Furmanek and Rod Palumbo might have that documented in their Abbott and Costello tome, but not having that book, I can't say so with 100% certainty.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Not sure about how accurate it is, but I have the Abbott and Costello book by Jim Mulholland that, in addition to the 1943 incident, also mentions another bout in the mid-1950s.

Offline Tony Bensley

Not sure about how accurate it is, but I have the Abbott and Costello book by Jim Mulholland that, in addition to the 1943 incident, also mentions another bout in the mid-1950s.
As I recall regarding that, A&C were originally slated to star in FIREMAN, SAVE MY CHILD (1954), but Lou's illness caused them to have to pull out at the last minute.  Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett ended up filling their roles, instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_Save_My_Child_(1954_film)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Umbrella Sam

As I recall regarding that, A&C were originally slated to star in FIREMAN, SAVE MY CHILD (1954), but Lou's illness caused them to have to pull out at the last minute.  Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett ended up filling their roles, instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_Save_My_Child_(1954_film)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Yeah, I've heard that as being the reason. Mulholland's book claims that the reason for them dropping out was that Universal actually decided to have Abbott and Costello make ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR HYDE instead of FIREMAN, SAVE MY CHILD. However, in retrospect, this doesn't make much sense considering how far apart the release dates were from each other (although Mulholland does provide a logical reason for the hiring of O'Brien and Hackett; apparently, they had already shot footage with doubles, so they needed actors who physically resembled Abbott and Costello to play the major roles).

Offline Larrys#1

The YouTube upload appears to be from the VHS Nostalgia Merchants transfer. Very poor quality, but viewable.  The DVD version on the ABBOTT & COSTELLO Universal Trunk set is much nicer. 

Pretty laughable, but that youtube upload is the version that I own. Sadly I already bought the earlier DVD releases of the Universal movies when they omitted "It Ain't Hay" due to rights issues. Then when Universal finally obtained the rights, they included it in the Complete Universal set, which scammed many of us that supported the earlier releases. I didn't want to pay the inflated price for the MOD standalone DVD, so I ended buying a $5 bootleg DVD on ebay and what I got was that VHS Nostalgia copy transferred to DVD. It's viewable as you say, but quite poor in quality. The movie itself is so-so and not the greatest, so I trained myself to be content with my poor DVD copy of the film.

Offline Tony Bensley

Pretty laughable, but that youtube upload is the version that I own. Sadly I already bought the earlier DVD releases of the Universal movies when they omitted "It Ain't Hay" due to rights issues. Then when Universal finally obtained the rights, they included it in the Complete Universal set, which scammed many of us that supported the earlier releases. I didn't want to pay the inflated price for the MOD standalone DVD, so I ended buying a $5 bootleg DVD on ebay and what I got was that VHS Nostalgia copy transferred to DVD. It's viewable as you say, but quite poor in quality. The movie itself is so-so and not the greatest, so I trained myself to be content with my poor DVD copy of the film.
I originally had the double sided A&C DVD Volumes from 2004-05.  When the 2014 Reissued Pared Down DVD Trunk set was selling for $52 in November of that year, I decided to "make hay" and grabbed it!  Unfortunately for me, by the time Shout! released the Universal Set on Blu-ray 5 years later, I could no longer afford to buy DVDs or Blu-rays even on an occasional, let alone regular basis, so I have to be happy with the DVDs, which thankfully, do look pretty good.  At least, I was able to get three of the A&C monster films on Blu-ray a couple of years back, via the Universal Monster Collections.

CHEERS!  [pie]