The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Here Comes Flossie! (1933) - Ben Blue and Shemp Howard

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/219
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305635/

HERE COMES FLOSSIE! is buried in the video linked above.  Over under on days before C3 has it shut down (despite being there for 13+ years) is set at 4 days.

This was a strange short to say the least... maybe the strangest I have ever reviewed.

This is mostly a vehicle for Ben Blue, but Shemp is easily the attention hog as he gets the best scenes.  Nothing against Ben, who does a fine job, but they're surrounded by meh in this one.  Okay, that's harsh because Janet Reade makes a fine tramp, and Paul Everton, the doctor in SALT WATER DAFFY (age 65 when this was filmed!) had a nice pervert moment when he thinks he is tapping Flossie's butt.

The closing was absolutely wild.  That was one of the strangest scenes I have ever seen, but I did laugh so it wasn't worthless!  It was a good twist in everything.  The dog walking on its hind legs was just plain weird...

Is this the earliest example of Shemp's shaving routine?  It's strange seeing a "young" (38 years-old) Shemp do it with such agility.  He carries himself really well in this one.

7/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Hey, Shemp is young here, them’s fightin’ words!  [pie]

This short is strange because, well, Ben Blue is a strange character and a bit hard to describe.  Not sure how he’d carry a weaker script, but this really is a good script as Paul mentioned.  Shemp does carry this one.  Yes, there is a bit of his shaving routine, (which to be fair, W.C. Fields did as well), and his interactions with Janet Reade (in Mae West mode here, dead age 32 from alcohol after she divorced her husband and married his father) are great stuff.  The fall Shemp took in the hallway got the biggest laugh out of me for sure.

Oh, and for the ultimate pre code line.  A man drives Flossie to the house in a car.  Flossie says, “Well hot stuff, what do I owe you for the vibrator treatment?”  Excuse me while I grab a cup of coffee, I’m overdue to spit it on my screen.  ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Oh, and for the ultimate pre code line.  A man drives Flossie to the house in a car.  Flossie says, “Well hot stuff, what do I owe you for the vibrator treatment?”  Excuse me while I grab a cup of coffee, I’m overdue to spit it on my screen.  ;D

OMG I never thought about this as a "pre code" line, but it is.  Did such devices and terms exist back then?  Apparently they must have...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

OMG I never thought about this as a "pre code" line, but it is.  Did such devices and terms exist back then?  Apparently they must have...

While I’m not a sex toy history expert, I would imagine they existed back then.  Stores out in the open like they are today....probably not.

In this case though, I think she got off from the vibration of the car, must’ve been a powerful motor.  Pretty risqué stuff almost today, certainly in 1933.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Definitely an odd concept for a short. For me, just about any moment with Shemp works, including the shaving scene and the part where his brother knocks him out. Ben Blue actually isn’t bad either, but he doesn’t have a particularly memorable character, so I’m not particularly interested in checking out much of his other work. The concept results in a lot of time devoted to him dealing with the two Flossies, which I don’t find particularly funny, though I did laugh at him tricking Shemp and the father, only to run off with Flossie himself. Some funny moments, but other times I found it more bizarre than entertaining.

6 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com