The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dizzy & Daffy (1934) - Dizzy & Daffy Dean and Shemp Howard

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/251
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329004/

You will find that this short is among the most-maligned shorts that ever featured a solo Stooge.  Why?  Baseball fans hate it because of the comedic roles of Shemp Howard and Roscoe Ates, and comedy fans hate it because of the serious footage of Dizzy & Daffy Dean.  Now, there are some issues with historical issue, but I certainly take no umbrage with this.

Effectively, this film is a vehicle to give Shemp Howard a starring comedic role and to showcase the incredible skills of Dizzy & Daffy Dean.  Start to finish, Shemp is a riot in what may be his funniest non-Stooge role.  We see fantastic use of his famous blind man routine in different situations that are well-interspersed throughout the short.  Shemp takes lots of falls, and overall just injects lots of great physical comedy into this film with a great bit at the climax of the film.

The rest of the comedic relief comes from Roscoe Ates as an idiotic stuttering umpire and radio announcer.  His shtick does get old after a while, but it doesn't drag the film down.

The Dean brothers are here to play it straight and bring baseball stardom to the film screen.  They're pretty honest in one regard as every game really did have the final scores shown.  My only beef with this is during the World Series Game 7 scene.  Why?  (1) The Cards really let two guys get on base in the 9th inning, so there was no immaculate inning, and (2) Jay "Dizzy" Dean, in reality, pitched a complete game without relief because Paul "Daffy" Dean was also a starting pitcher and never would have pitched in relief even in Dizzy had needed it.  Dizzy yet?  I'm daffy after writing that dizzying daffy paragraph.

Most people lambaste this one, but I genuinely enjoyed every moment.  For perhaps Shemp's greatest non-Stooge role and solid performances around him...

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline Umbrella Sam

Is it a solidified wall to which I speak?

Sorry, I've been really busy (I had a little time last week, but the UTOPIA review took me a lot longer than I expected). I'm going to try and catch up with these as soon as I can.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Is it a solidified wall to which I speak?

I’m working again and when I am reviewing, it’s Abbott and Costello films, which are features and more time consuming.  I do plan on getting to this film soon, haven’t seen it in years.  Certainly Columbus Day Weekend I’ll have time, but hopefully before then.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Shemp really is fantastic in this one, as Paul mentioned.  The bad vision Shemp with glasses that don’t really work is put to great use here.  Shemp views an outfielder painted on an advertisement as an actual outfielder, punches a player versus his intended umpire target, pitches a ball in the outfield and can’t hit a target to save his life.  He’s extremely fast talking, energetic and boastful throughout, really carrying the comic load in the first half of the film.  Absolute prime Shemp that any Stooge fan should watch.  I also love the fact we have a baseball comedy, something I always wish The Three Stooges would have done.  I’d say prime Shemp outside the Stooges are Vitaphone shorts like this, the ones where he’s teamed with Harry Gribbon and Daphne Pollard and a small amount of actual solo shorts he made.  All mandatory viewing for Stooge fans.

The second half comedy of this film is carried a little more by Roscoe Ates and his stuttering schtick, which he’s done in every film I’ve seen the guy in.  The baseball element also takes over, so your interest will vary depending on how much you like baseball.  Yes, some historical accuracy was played with but it’s understandable.  Both Dean brothers are featured, so from a plot perspective, both brothers pitch.  Yes, they’re made to look immortal, so we get the immaculate inning, a rare feat - though more common these days with strike outs up in general.

An entertaining short overall.  If you guys are interested in Shemp solo at Vitaphone, I highly recommend picking up THE VITAPHONE COMEDY COLLECTION VOLUME TWO for staters, then get Volume 1 next.  The latter volume is more Shemp centric as the earlier volume has a few good Shemp roles, but mostly earlier stuff where he’s a bit player.  But yeah, I’m really surprised some of these Shemp Vitaphones don’t get talked about more on this board.  Really good Shemp and overall better than most the solo stuff he did at Columbia.  Gives you an idea what Shemp as a Stooge would have been like in the mid 30’s.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Man, I forgot how funny this short was. I don’t doubt the historical inaccuracy, but that’s not really an issue with me (as much as I love baseball, I’m not exactly into baseball history). Shemp is hilarious in this with his reliable blind man routine and a lot of physical humor. I also think Roscoe Ates does a good job as well working against Shemp as the umpire. I especially like the scene where Shemp is batting and keeps debating with Ates as to what truly counts as a strike.

The Deans and the rest of the cast do a fine acting job given what’s required, and there’s never a point where I felt bored watching it. Definitely a short worth checking out.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com